Dangling The Carrot

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Dano,
Serious question here. You specifically mention that there is no real way the company can punish you for not hitting your numbers. Here's the way I see it, when I signed my offer letter it didn't say anything about what sort of numbers I need to hit, it also didn't say anything about me being responsible for challenging anyone on the property that wasn't wearing an ID. So, I figure, if I never sign anything that covers all of these made-up scenarios, I'm good to go to court over being fired for any of these non-sensical rules. Am I right?

El Morado Diablo

What ego bruise?

They want to pay good money, period. But they aren't going to pay it under-performing couriers. HOWEVER... they simply will not hold them accountable for their performance. There is no discipline for consistently failing to meet performance/service goals because the company doesn't want to deal with the costs of potential litigation. That's not fair to those who do a great job day in and day out.

I think they should pull the trigger on it and be ready for the initial wave of legal challenges. They would not be difficult to win and there would not be as many subsequent challenges to follow. There is no point in setting courier performance benchmarks if there's no penalty for missing them all the time.

So for the time being, the company is keeping the lousy couriers on the payroll at the expense of better pay for the good ones.

I agree there are couriers out there who don't pull their weight, either by choice or lack of ability. Every station has at least one of them. This isn't unique to FedEx and to suggest pay would increase for everyone else if we could just get rid of these under-performers simply isn't true.

Our station(s) have had multiple lawsuits filed against FedEx after employee terminations. They were filed by managers and hourly employees. One of the things we learned when FedEx Legal paid us a visit was that employee reviews were eliminated because fired employees were using them against FedEx in court. It's one thing to terminate someone for a crime, or falsifying, safety, etc.. It's another to terminate them for performance when they have years of positive reviews.

If FedEx wants a higher quality workforce they are going to have to do what every other business out there has to do -- pay for it. That's the only way you are going to attract the right people. You can lump the people we have coming in now into two groups. The first are those who've been working minimum wage jobs and are happy to make our starting wage even if it's part-time. The second are those who get a look at how we are run and see they have no hope of moving up the pay scale no matter how great an employee they are so they leave as soon as they can.

Maui

What ego bruise?

They want to pay good money, period. But they aren't going to pay it under-performing couriers. HOWEVER... they simply will not hold them accountable for their performance. There is no discipline for consistently failing to meet performance/service goals because the company doesn't want to deal with the costs of potential litigation. That's not fair to those who do a great job day in and day out.

I think they should pull the trigger on it and be ready for the initial wave of legal challenges. They would not be difficult to win and there would not be as many subsequent challenges to follow. There is no point in setting courier performance benchmarks if there's no penalty for missing them all the time.

So for the time being, the company is keeping the lousy couriers on the payroll at the expense of better pay for the good ones.

Maybe, but there are A LOT of excellent couriers that are under-paid. Some of my best were not even at 50% of range after 10 years and the current pay makes them wonder why work so hard. I mean in higher market levels we can see top of range couriers making a decent living while those with less than 10 years can not afford basic necessities.

Fix the gap. First.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What ego bruise?

There's no discipline any more because FedEx cannot even keep lousy couriers. What does that say about this company? You get on here and just effing lie...over and over. Litigation? That happens because FedEx engages in unlawful employment practices, not due to performance/service accountability.

Besides, who is dumb enough (besides you) to do anything but WAD for this company?