Day 9 of being new seasonal driver. Am I as bad as I think?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We are instructed to go thru the truck prior to 2pm to look for wrong cars.The only way to do so is to look at every package. If your looking at every package, you might as well be putting them in order!! If sorting the truck helps you then do it, its as much mental as physical in this job.

Don't worry about what Nancy tells you, your doing fine!!

JL 0513

I sort my load once a day (after lunch). I can't see how one would not sort their load mid day after you've emptied roughly the first 4 sections. So mid day, most of the rest is at the back half of the car. Gotta push 'em up. And if you're pushing them up, might as well order them (first 2 numbers good enough - don't waste time getting too specific with last to pal #'s). I square and tighten all the packages pal label out.

The rest of the day after this is the best part of the day. Runs like a fine oiled machine when the package you need is always right there. Absolutely not a waste of time to sort when it saves time and stress the rest of the day.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just do the job correctly and dont worry about over and under. Come december 25th, they will drop you like you didnt exist. Sorry, its a cruel process, but UPS could care less about your production.

They just want the job done.

TOS

Pay no attention to TOS, he thinks you are a white guy and there is nothing he hates more.

Use a couple of Spanish words and he'll support you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Thankyou.........senor Penis!........lol
downloadfile-1.jpeg

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Stop sorting. Sorting is a waste of time.
Not sorting is the ghetto way to do the job. It takes longer looking for stops your doing in a section that your on when it can take a quick 2 to 5 min sort job to blow right through the section. I guarantee you 2 to 5 to sort section versus just running section by not sorting it is a lot faster.

Rainman

Its all good.
I sort my truck every day, after I get the businesses done. If you can do better without sorting, great. But I find it a lot less frustrating to be able to know where the packages are and be able to go right to them. Usually after I get the businesses done the resi stops have moved all around anyhow, since the business stops aren't holding the piles of resis together the loader made on the shelves. Don't let us old farts intimidate you with conflicting advice. Go with what works for you. But do try to stay out of the rear of the truck as much as possible. I used to lose a lot of time when I first got started driving by spending too much time in the back.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Youll spend too much time in the back of the truck if you don't sort sections that's guaranteed. Some people like to do the job the ghetto way and people who are well organized are the ones who sort.

BrownChoice

Youll spend too much time in the back of the truck if you don't sort sections that's guaranteed. Some people like to do the job the ghetto way and people who are well organized are the ones who sort.

Jumpman... You cant teach an old dog new tricks, right? Lol... Let the old timers make us young bucks look EVEN BETTER!!

tuhatamaya

Trying to qualify as FT driver after intergrad

I recently returned from Franklin Park, Illinois for UPS's driver training program. Currently for the past 2-3 weeks of trying to qualify they are telling me I need to bring my time down. I don't understand when they are giving me 8 1/2 hours of work and yet when I get it all off by about 2:00-2:15 before first pick up at 2:40, they say I'm over allowed in time.. We leave the building at 8:50 after PCM. Wouldn't 8 1/2 hours of work supposed to finished around 5:30? Someone please help me understand this. Would be much appreciated!