Day after Christmas (Dec 26)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I was told not to show up Friday the 26th. Is this normal operations? Everyone is laid off, basically the operation is shut down. This is a very large hub.

I'm (and obviously many others) getting 3 days pay next week. Can I still get 40 hours pay on unemployement? Is there any recourse?

Tony31yrs

Nothing moves over Christmas and no pickups on the 24th, so we always just had the closed from the 24th and air to deliver. They usually cut half the delivery routes and about a third of the pick up routes. With the day after on a Friday, I'll bet a lot of businesses will be closed, so I'll bet they will run a minimum of routes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is an e-mail sent to our customers regarding Dec 26th.​
2008 Package Holiday Schedule Change

An important change has been made to the UPS year-end holiday operations schedule. Due to the number of businesses expected to be closed on Dec. 26, UPS will not make normally scheduled pickups.​

Pickup service will be provided for air and international shipments if prearranged by Wednesday, December 24.* You may prearrange an air or international pickup by calling 1-800-PICK-UPS® or letting your account executive or driver know. Also, on Dec. 26, air and international packages will be picked up via UPS On-Call Pickup® service, at all UPS Drop Boxes, and at locations of The UPS Store®.
The UPS Holiday Schedule has been updated to reflect this change.
*Note: Dec. 26 is a transit day for all air and international packages, and for ground packages picked up before Dec. 24.​

Winter Weather Causing Delays​

Snow and ice is affecting delivery service throughout the Midwestern and Northeastern United States. A Service Update has been posted to ups.com that lists the states and ZIP Codes that are currently impacted. UPS will update this information as conditions change.​

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Only reason I was asking is that they asked us today to update our P/U log for 1/2/09 as to whether the stop would be open or closed for pickup and/or delivery.

That's another thing--why did they have us update the P/U log as above 4 days in a row!! We had to ask our customers what their plans were for 12/24, 26, 31 and 1/2. Why not just do it all on the same day?! It's not so bad for me as I only have 20 or so P/U s but our mall driver has 63.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
My concern is with no pickups on Friday, that means when Monday comes around there will not be any volume whatsoever. Or rather very low amounts.

Maybe UPS is using this as a ploy to save money at the end of the year. It will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My concern is with no pickups on Friday, that means when Monday comes around there will not be any volume whatsoever. Or rather very low amounts.

Maybe UPS is using this as a ploy to save money at the end of the year. It will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

I would say it is not a ploy to save money... it is a direct, targeted effort to save money. There is no other reason to do it.

Big Babooba

A sign up sheet was posted today for any driver who wanted December 26th off. It also said that posting your name didn't give you the day off.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
A sign up sheet was posted today for any driver who wanted December 26th off. It also said that posting your name didn't give you the day off.

With no pickups that day, it should be the opposite. Those who wanted to work would sign up the list. Seniority rules. There are plenty of drivers who don't want the day off.

I'mTheMan

It doesn't make any sense at all if working on fridays the 26th and again 2nd on friday too. If they say both are off day, it would mean no pay for this, right? I can't find anything on the contract regarding after christmas holidays but I know that there was a holidays pay on monday because christmas was landed on sunday. It's weird but it won't be any clear on this. Anyway if ups says going to tell us that 26 is off day and 2nd is also off day, then it should be provided additional holiday pay? Make sense or not?

dillweed

In years past our center has handled this low volume situation by offering work by seniority for the few they need. It's a raw deal because the sort is so small that they only get a couple hours in and have to push a broom if they want their 3.5.

For New Year's I'm wondering if they will switch our extra holiday to the day after New Year instead of New Year's Eve. No word yet.

My center on the east coast does not know for sure what we are doing on the 26th. I myself will take the 26th and the 29th off with no pay. Seems like a bonus to me after the rush of peak.

iowa boy

Geeez, as of last night, we were told that the 26th is a normal workday and we have to work.
found out last night that we now have the friday off. yea, I'll take a five day weekend every once in a while. Who cares about pay when you hang with the kids and play with all the new toys.:happy-very: