Day after Thanksgiving

drewed

Shankman
most intl orientated operations run so youll have to ask your sup to find out, the day of thanksgiving for my sort everyone works because we normally get a 30% increase of volume but the day after im cutting down about 40% of people because itll be slow

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I will be working--easiest money I will make this year.

I also will be, and I totally agree. I always ask for an 8hr day.

I'm surprised at you, upstate. You didn't call drewed on his terrible grammar. Drewed, I believe the word you were looking for is oriented, not orientated, get it straight, young man!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also will be, and I totally agree. I always ask for an 8hr day.

I'm surprised at you, upstate. You didn't call drewed on his terrible grammar. Drewed, I believe the word you were looking for is oriented, not orientated, get it straight, young man!

Actually, Steve, drewed used the proper word in that context.

I normally "work" about 4-5 hours and then take a nice, long lunch--this is my treat for all that I do for them during the year.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Actually, Steve, drewed used the proper word in that context.

I normally "work" about 4-5 hours and then take a nice, long lunch--this is my treat for all that I do for them during the year.

I don't think so, but here's what the dictionary says about....o·ri·en·tate (ôr
prime.gif
emacr.gif
-
ebreve.gif
n-t
amacr.gif
t
lprime.gif
, -
schwa.gif
n-,
omacr.gif
r
prime.gif
-) [SIZE=-2]KEY [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]VERB: [/SIZE]
[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]o·ri·en·tat·ed[/SIZE][/FONT] , [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]o·ri·en·tat·ing[/SIZE][/FONT] , [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]o·ri·en·tates[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]tr. [/SIZE]

To orient: [SIZE=+0]"He . . . stood for a moment, orientating himself exactly in the light of his knowledge"[/SIZE] [SIZE=+0](John le Carré).[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]VERB: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]intr. To face or turn to the east.[/SIZE]

Here's what it probably should have said.

Most intl operations run so you'll have to ask your sup to find out for you. On Thanksgiving day, for my sort, everyone works, because we normally get a 30% increase of volume. The day after I'm cutting down about 40% of people because it will be slow.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Drewed, I believe the word you were looking for is oriented, not orientated, get it straight, young man!
from Oxford.com
It really doesn't matter: it's a matter of personal taste. Orientated is currently preferred use in general British use. Oriented is prevalent in technical use, and in the US.

Also, at UPS, the word "orientated" is what is used. I researched this in 1982 when I was in "Personnel" (prior to name change to Human Resources) and my boss used orientated. I did not think that was the right word but it was.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
from Oxford.com
It really doesn't matter: it's a matter of personal taste. Orientated is currently preferred use in general British use. Oriented is prevalent in technical use, and in the US.

Also, at UPS, the word "orientated" is what is used. I researched this in 1982 when I was in "Personnel" (prior to name change to Human Resources) and my boss used orientated. I did not think that was the right word but it was.

S'ok, I fixed it so it didn't sound so weird. He didn't even need to use that word afterall. Just the same, thanks for the insight, upstate and Hoax.

Oh, and I'm still sucking up the O/T the day after Thanksgiving.

LOL, thanks, upstate.

drewed

Shankman
I don't think so, but here's what the dictionary says about....o·ri·en·tate (ôr
prime.gif
emacr.gif
-
ebreve.gif
n-t
amacr.gif
t
lprime.gif
, -
schwa.gif
n-,
omacr.gif
r
prime.gif
-) [SIZE=-2]KEY [/SIZE]

[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]o·ri·en·tat·ed[/SIZE][/FONT] , [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]o·ri·en·tat·ing[/SIZE][/FONT] , [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]o·ri·en·tates[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]tr. [/SIZE]

To orient: [SIZE=+0]"He . . . stood for a moment, orientating himself exactly in the light of his knowledge"[/SIZE] [SIZE=+0](John le Carré).[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]VERB: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]intr. To face or turn to the east.[/SIZE]

Here's what it probably should have said.

Most intl operations run so you'll have to ask your sup to find out for you. On Thanksgiving day, for my sort, everyone works, because we normally get a 30% increase of volume. The day after I'm cutting down about 40% of people because it will be slow.

But if i said intl operations only, there would have been that one person working an intl sort that thinks well he must mean intl as in out of the US opertations, thats why orientated was used .

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
But if i said intl operations only, there would have been that one person working an intl sort that thinks well he must mean intl as in out of the US opertations, thats why orientated was used .

I'm going to orientate myself in the seat next to upstate so I can enjoy an open faced turkey sandwich as well, slathered with gravy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I always get 8hr the day after...Letters mostly and can you say doubletime plus holiday pay...I'm in!

This has always been a question of mine. Some areas get double time while we are paid straight time but this is in addition to the 8 hrs of holiday pay that we get. We always ask and are always told that it is straight time.