Day after Thanksgiving

Bad Gas!

This has always been a question of mine. Some areas get double time while we are paid straight time but this is in addition to the 8 hrs of holiday pay that we get. We always ask and are always told that it is straight time.

The last couple of years we have recieved doubletime plus holiday pay.It's a fat check and I love it and mgt doesn't even bitch about it...Some earlier years it was straight pay or time and a half...Check with most senior guys working plus stewards..

What'dyabringmetoday???

This has always been a question of mine. Some areas get double time while we are paid straight time but this is in addition to the 8 hrs of holiday pay that we get. We always ask and are always told that it is straight time.
Language says we draw an additional day's pay. Unfortunately, there are two schools of thought. Some of us think this could be construed to mean double time. The company thinks it means we get straight time for hours worked, plus the holiday pay. Either way, as you mentioned, it is easy money. Just remember that if you want eight hours you have to reduce it to writing before the last scheduled day prior to the holiday. Not saying it is an issue where you are, but better safe than sorry and be told it is an "hours worked day". Perhaps you do not want the eight hour guarantee, but why bother going in for any less??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Language says we draw an additional day's pay. Unfortunately, there are two schools of thought. Some of us think this could be construed to mean double time. The company thinks it means we get straight time for hours worked, plus the holiday pay. Either way, as you mentioned, it is easy money. Just remember that if you want eight hours you have to reduce it to writing before the last scheduled day prior to the holiday. Not saying it is an issue where you are, but better safe than sorry and be told it is an "hours worked day". Perhaps you do not want the eight hour guarantee, but why bother going in for any less??

Thank you.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you were forced in, you are paid time and a half. If you request to work and have seniority, you are paid straight hours. Either way, you get 8 hours holiday time.

What'dyabringmetoday???

If you were forced in, you are paid time and a half. If you request to work and have seniority, you are paid straight hours. Either way, you get 8 hours holiday time.
This all depends on the supplement you are in. No time-and-a-half here. Actually, the part-time employees have first opportunity to the air deliveries according to the air language. If they use full-time package drivers, they must request the eight hour pay. Too many different articles covering those days. Sure would be nice to have some of the language cleaned up in the future, but that is unlikely. I believe both sides, higher up than us of course, like having all these "grey areas" in the contract. It certainly could be simplified for those like myself (non-rocket scientist).

from Oxford.com
It really doesn't matter: it's a matter of personal taste. Orientated is currently preferred use in general British use. Oriented is prevalent in technical use, and in the US.

Also, at UPS, the word "orientated" is what is used. I researched this in 1982 when I was in "Personnel" (prior to name change to Human Resources) and my boss used orientated. I did not think that was the right word but it was.

I thought "orientated" was what you got in the back room at the massage house?

Bad Gas!

I'm telling you...in our supplement it's doubletime plus holiday pay...I don't know where it's written but it's been ironed out over last few years here....and, yes, you are corect about requesting 8 hours...--do it on paper.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm telling you...in our supplement it's doubletime plus holiday pay...I don't know where it's written but it's been ironed out over last few years here....and, yes, you are corect about requesting 8 hours...--do it on paper.

IBT/UPS Southern Supplemental Agreement; page 221, Article 60, Section 4: Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, seniority employees required to work on any of the above named holidays shall receive double the regular hourly rate for all hours worked with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees, or ten (10) for employees on a work week of four (4) ten (10) hour days

We are already getting paid eight hours for the holiday, so its an additional double time for all hours worked.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always enjoyed my time off with my family. I can proudly say I never worked one minute at UPS that wasn't required. I never understood the people that would bitch all year long about the hours they worked but they were the first ones to work on a scheduled day off. Steve- I am amazed at the way you present yourself as a family man but then say you are going to work when you can have the day off ---tisk tisk

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I always enjoyed my time off with my family. I can proudly say I never worked one minute at UPS that wasn't required. I never understood the people that would bitch all year long about the hours they worked but they were the first ones to work on a scheduled day off. Steve- I am amazed at the way you present yourself as a family man but then say you are going to work when you can have the day off ---tisk tisk

Black Friday, rod, wife will be shopping. We'll probably get home at the same time.