DCAP Question

Jigawatts

The DECAP position is relatively new in our building. It was implemented sometime around May of 2008, and it was a position in which one needed to bid on in order to attain.

I haven't seen the normal DECAP person for over a week, I'm assuming she's on vacation. My question is why do they just insert someone from the unload into the position? The DECAP backup never signed the original bid sheet and there are people with more seniority that did sign the bid sheet.

I'm guessing this is just another one of those "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" situations.

evilleace

What is the DECAP position? Also if there are people with more seniority who want the job it is thiers tell them to talk to the steward.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
DECAP is where packages go to a clerk who looks up addresses that confuse the PAS system, at least that is my understanding of it. I would think that it is a bid job, it should be put up on the Bid Board.

Last edited:

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Funny how the same thing happened where I was. So, I decided I was going to make some squeaking noise myself and I had the job after about a week. Sup came to me one day and said "Starting Monday, you will be doing DCAP." I can tell you, I sure am glad I do the DECAP instead of loading PC's now.

If you feel like you should get the job because you are entitled to it because of seniority, then so be it. Don't let someone else have an easy way out just because they don't feel like the other person(s) cannot do other work. If they cant, then they don't need to be working at UPS. I worked every position at our center and I damn well deserve to work the job I do now. ( I payed my dues. Plus I have senority :) )

H_E_Pennypacker

Large Member
What is the DECAP position? Also if there are people with more seniority who want the job it is thiers tell them to talk to the steward.

DCAP = Data Capture. Scratch is right, packages that don't scan correctly into PAS (bad label, missing label, etc.) are routed to Data Capture to be manually input into the system. That way DPS can account for all packages being dispatched that day.

Jigawatts

Funny how the same thing happened where I was. So, I decided I was going to make some squeaking noise myself and I had the job after about a week. Sup came to me one day and said "Starting Monday, you will be doing DCAP." I can tell you, I sure am glad I do the DECAP instead of loading PC's now.

If you feel like you should get the job because you are entitled to it because of seniority, then so be it. Don't let someone else have an easy way out just because they don't feel like the other person(s) cannot do other work. If they cant, then they don't need to be working at UPS. I worked every position at our center and I damn well deserve to work the job I do now. ( I payed my dues. Plus I have senority :) )

I originally signed the bid sheet, but in order to keep me loading my area, a supervisor told me some fairy tale about how the position would only last 6 months. So I decided it wasn't worth it and scratched my name off the list. By the time I figured out I had been duped it was too late, the position was filled.

That's fine though, it's my fault for believing what he said. That part is water under the bridge. But it irks me that someone with no seniority, who never signed the sheet, is filling in for the regular while I'm getting smacked down.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I originally signed the bid sheet, but in order to keep me loading my area, a supervisor told me some fairy tale about how the position would only last 6 months. So I decided it wasn't worth it and scratched my name off the list. By the time I figured out I had been duped it was too late, the position was filled.

That's fine though, it's my fault for believing what he said. That part is water under the bridge. But it irks me that someone with no seniority, who never signed the sheet, is filling in for the regular while I'm getting smacked down.

Have you been trained to do Data Acquisition?

I am friend/T and have done decap on one half of my job. You have to be trained before you start doing it.

Also, when you are P/T seniority does not give any rights to any particular job. Unless that position is vacated, it will be held by the person doing the work. As far as the person covering vacations, it's completely up to management.

You may already know all of this though.

InTheRed

It's easy if you can type and are friendly with a computer...

But you burn far more calories in unload and can still eat whatever you want when you stay in the trailer. :)

evilleace

Ok we dont call it decap here that is why I was confused and it is not a bid positon in my center. There were supposed to teach me and never did I hate when I get good at something at work there wont move me anywhere else.