DDU Pickup?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I noticed a new option on my DIAD Main Menu today. The third option had DDU. I hit it and a delivery type screen came up with DDU Pickup. Anybody know what this is? No info from my management team.

Last edited:

hitsomebody

That guy that wears brown
We got training on it today. It has something to do with new pickup locations at post offices, drop off locations, or something like that. If you get those labels that have both a post office barcode and Ups barcode you enter them in this window. Also noticed today, that it automatically entered the number of packages i scanned when i picked up the drop box.

yeaalabama1212

I noticed it after I made a delivery to a post office. After stop completing, a message came up saying places such as post offices often have packages to pick up. It gave instructions to choose DDU from the main menu. I keyed in the address and everything else (account number), was filled in for me. All I had to do was scan the packages.

I noticed it after I made a delivery to a post office. After stop completing, a message came up saying places such as post offices often have packages to pick up. It gave instructions to choose DDU from the main menu. I keyed in the address and everything else (account number), was filled in for me. All I had to do was scan the packages.

That's special.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I saw that today too. I just remembered I was supposed to diad training and I forgot. OOOOOOOOPS :happy-very:
Tuesday morning we were told to make sure we brought our DIADs to the PCM so that everybody would get the training at the same time. I hit "Training" and nothing was there! Nothing there all week, maybe we were supposed to be trained on DDU. I do pickup an Office Depot with a lot of drop off boxes, I wonder if this covers that.

beentheredonethat

We got training on it today. It has something to do with new pickup locations at post offices, drop off locations, or something like that. If you get those labels that have both a post office barcode and Ups barcode you enter them in this window. Also noticed today, that it automatically entered the number of packages i scanned when i picked up the drop box.
DDU is for Destination Delivery Unit - aka local Post Office. We've had Basic now for awhile where we deliver some pkgs to the DDU (local Post office). UPS has tested out Flexible access returns (reverse basic) for a few customers over the past 6-10 months and it is now being rolled out as more of a general service offering. This will complement our current returns service. Customers can now take pkg and bring it to any UPS injection point (customer counter, Authorized reseller (aka Staples), UPS Store, UPS Drop Box, UPS driver). The customer can also bring it to any USPS injection point, their mail carrier, their mail box, the USPS mail box, the local USPS facility etc. UPS drivers will then get the pkg from the USPS mostly at the DDU's, but some will make it to the BMC's (Bulk Mailing center - equivalent to our hubs). Then UPS will transport the pkg back to customer using our hub\fdr and pkg network.
Now that Flex access is being introduced, we should start seeing within a few months a lot of returns from the Post Office and with about 20K post offices, even a few per location will mean significant new volume for UPS.

Big Babooba

DDU is for Destination Delivery Unit - aka local Post Office. We've had Basic now for awhile where we deliver some pkgs to the DDU (local Post office). UPS has tested out Flexible access returns (reverse basic) for a few customers over the past 6-10 months and it is now being rolled out as more of a general service offering. This will complement our current returns service. Customers can now take pkg and bring it to any UPS injection point (customer counter, Authorized reseller (aka Staples), UPS Store, UPS Drop Box, UPS driver). The customer can also bring it to any USPS injection point, their mail carrier, their mail box, the USPS mail box, the local USPS facility etc. UPS drivers will then get the pkg from the USPS mostly at the DDU's, but some will make it to the BMC's (Bulk Mailing center - equivalent to our hubs). Then UPS will transport the pkg back to customer using our hub\fdr and pkg network.
Now that Flex access is being introduced, we should start seeing within a few months a lot of returns from the Post Office and with about 20K post offices, even a few per location will mean significant new volume for UPS.
After the next rate hike and round of budget cuts, the USPS will be trimming that number down to 4.

bigbrownhen

I have noticed that my drop of at the post office on my route went from 5 to 10 pkgs a day to no less than 20 a day in the last few months. I have gotten a few returns, but not many as of yet, guess this will change now.

At the PCM, we were told we will have Diad upgrades and training next week. I am guessing thats what it will be over. I didn't notice anything different in the board today, but can't say I looked that hard. I usually just look at the address and number of pkgs.

browniehound

I saw that today too. I just remembered I was supposed to diad training and I forgot. OOOOOOOOPS :happy-very:

I forgot to do DIAD training today also. Ask me this question, on a Friday especially: DILLIGAF?, LOL! Why are they so hell-bent on DIAD training? Its mostly trivial crap that we practice everyday. Recently, we had "clarifying the signature" DIAD training. It was about how we must get signatures at businesses and clarify each signature so the customer can start the billing process for its customers.

Well, DUH, do ya think? I think this was the first thing they taught us at driver school.

Then we had the pharmacy delivery training. We also covered this on day one of driver school, but in this instance I find it a little more serious than "clarifying signatures", however I think we all know the oxycontin needs to be delivered to the pharmacist and not the junkie at the loading dock.

Still, at UPS we are treated like dummies hence the ridiculous additions to the EDD menu asking us if we completed a pre-trip and signed off on the DVIR, ect. I do them everyday, however I always answer Y to each question just to clear that non-sense from my board if I've completed it or not yet.

Sorry, if I need to be reminded to do a pre-trip and sign the DVIR then I shouldn't be working at UPS or anywhere for that matter....

browniehound

Sorry, if I need to be reminded to do a pre-trip and sign the DVIR then I shouldn't be working at UPS or anywhere for that matter....

I say this in the most serious tone. Who is more senile here, UPS or the employee that needs to be reminded of his pre-trip. I'm serious here. If you can't remember to do your pre-trip and sign off the DVIR then you are either late stage alzheimers or (all-timers as some in our brilliant society call it) or mentally retarded.

In either case, none should be working at UPS. Therefore, why does UPS put it in the DIAD? It just proves what corporate thinks of its drivers!

Sorry, I can't get over this. Its like when they want us to call out "Hello UPS!" to a house in the dead of winter at the end of a street with no cars in the driveway. If a driver calls out "Hello UPS" and nobody is around to hear it does he actually make a sound?

I don't know about anyone else, but all my residential customer are aware of me by the very LOUD DIESEL engine rumbling through their neighborhood and not the "Hello UPS" I am supposed to say as I ring their door bell. Good Grief!

over9five

Staff member
Yup, the training was in our boards yesterday. DDUs and WNPs. There were two training sessions and I can't remember what the second one was (It was yesterday...).

Anyhow, shortly after that I got a message on where to put my first WNP p/u. I believe that stands for When Needed Pickup.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I do them everyday, however I always answer Y to each question just to clear that non-sense from my board if I've completed it or not yet.

The DIAD is full of redundancies and annoying little things that just make you shake your head.

My absolute favorite situation is with a "certified check/money order only" C.O.D. You scan the package, and before you can even enter the amount, a warning comes up prompting you that this is a "secured funds C.O.D., accept only certified bank check or money order". So now the customer is not home. You sheet the package as such, but before you can scan the info notice, the DIAD asks you "is this C.O.D. money order only?" after it just got done telling you that it was. More UPS genius at work. :rolleyes2:

outta hours

All these technological advances, and still 6 out of 10 consignees will reset the signature mode with their thumb when attempting to sign. Oh well, you can't spell stupid without UPS.

Big Babooba

The DIAD is full of redundancies and annoying little things that just make you shake your head.

My absolute favorite situation is with a "certified check/money order only" C.O.D. You scan the package, and before you can even enter the amount, a warning comes up prompting you that this is a "secured funds C.O.D., accept only certified bank check or money order". How many drivers have accepted personal checks in the past? What's worse is how many still do! It's no big deal. I'd rather read a prompt than read a warning letter!
So now the customer is not home. You sheet the package as such, but before you can scan the info notice, the DIAD asks you "is this C.O.D. money order only?" after it just got done telling you that it was. More UPS genius at work. :rolleyes2:Again, just a reminder to check the box for certified funds only. Often a driver will forget this. The next day, the customer has a personal check all made out because the box wasn't checked.

We all have to be prompted because of a few drivers.

Big Babooba

Why spend the money to redesign the DIAD? Let's just cut off their thumbs!:thumbup:

Don't give them any ideas Big. They can't find a way to attach a stylus to the board. But a scalpel??? That may be possible. Good 1:wink2:
A scalpel would take too much time and effort. I did an impromptu time study in my back yard and I suggest that these be used.
shears.jpg