Deaf employee sues UPS

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Deaf employee sues UPS - Philly

As a deaf employee, Michael MacDonald can do his work as a package handler at the United Parcel Service facility at Philadelphia International Airport without assistance.

But when it comes to employee meetings and to understanding certain things - such as safety and emergency procedures, company policies and procedures, and some other workplace communications - he needs an American Sign Language interpreter.

I feel for both sides here. Everyone needs an opportunity to have a fair shot at employment.

On the other hand do you pay an interpreter Big bucks to relay the information for a $40 a day job?

What's fair?

They are suppose to have "buddies" like in those training videos.
I'm just saying reasonable expense to the employer.

Most of my route is on hills. Yet they put handicapped ramps on all of the sidewalks. My truck barely makes it up some off the hills. No way in Hell is somebody pushing a wheelchair up those hills.

upschuck

I'm just saying reasonable expense to the employer.

Most of my route is on hills. Yet they put handicapped ramps on all of the sidewalks. My truck barely makes it up some off the hills. No way in Hell is somebody pushing a wheelchair up those hills.
Every once in a while, our HR dept has an interpreter come in for an interview. Don't know what comes of it.