Deaf employee sues UPS

MAKAVELI

I'm just saying reasonable expense to the employer.

Most of my route is on hills. Yet they put handicapped ramps on all of the sidewalks. My truck barely makes it up some off the hills. No way in Hell is somebody pushing a wheelchair up those hills.
They have these things called electric powered wheelchairs.;)

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Ummmmmm

How about writing instructions on paper and handing it to him !!!!
You don't need an interpreter for that.
Communication on paper has been around since the Gutenberg bible in the 1400's.
Not sure how this would go to a lawsuit !!!!!

Edit: Read article after comment, can't read or write English but in his suit he shows the supervisor text messages on his phone to try to communicate an open box. BS

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

My building has an Art 22.3 deaf employee who started PT many years ago. Reads lips and other employees know sign language to communicate with him. Not a problem except he is not allowed to bid into a driving job.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
4JLYxt.gif

YOU HAD 2 MISLOADS YESTERDAY

KEEP YOUR EGRESS CLEAN OF ANY BULK

DRIVERS ARE HERE, YOU CAN PUNCH OUT NOW

Packmule

Unless you've spent a lot of time around a deaf person, you have no idea how frustrating it is to try to find out what is going on on a daily basis for a deaf person. The things we take for granted, they miss out on.
Being down to about 45 % in one ear, 5% in the other , I can relate. Everything UPS talks about is usually something sent in via fax, email, etc. Just print a copy for him and 90% of the problem is solved. Scribble the rest down on a paper. Just do all this respectfully and the problem should be solved.

10 point

My building has an Art 22.3 deaf employee who started PT many years ago. Reads lips and other employees know sign language to communicate with him. Not a problem except he is not allowed to bid into a driving job.
They can drive. But it has to be a vehicle under 10,000 lbs gvw (like a van used for air).

rod

Retired 22 years
What I gathered from reading the article was he is just pissed that nobody is paying any attention to him when he is waving his arms or trying to get some ones attention. If that's the case every hourly employee at UPS should be part of this law suit.

MAKAVELI

What I gathered from reading the article was he is just :censored2: that nobody is paying any attention to him when he is waving his arms or trying to get some ones attention. If that's the case every hourly employee at UPS should be part of this law suit.
Is every hourly employee at UPS deaf?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
What I gathered from reading the article was he is just :censored2: that nobody is paying any attention to him when he is waving his arms or trying to get some ones attention. If that's the case every hourly employee at UPS should be part of this law suit.
Management should print out some cards that say,
"OK, got it. I'll get back to you! Carry on."
Same thing they say to hourlies who can hear.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Ummmmmm

How about writing instructions on paper and handing it to him !!!!
You don't need an interpreter for that.
Communication on paper has been around since the Gutenberg bible in the 1400's.
Not sure how this would go to a lawsuit !!!!!

Edit: Read article after comment, can't read or write English but in his suit he shows the supervisor text messages on his phone to try to communicate an open box. BS

You read it wrong. It didn't say he couldn't read or write. It said this:

If the meeting is less than five minutes, the gist of it can be communicated through a short written note or text message, MacDonald said. But if it's longer than five minutes, he said he would need an interpreter "because it's just too complicated."

Like many deaf people, MacDonald doesn't fluently read or write English. Asked why MacDonald couldn't learn to read English better, Foster explained that a major part of learning a language is to hear it, which MacDonald can't do.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20151210_Deaf_employee_sues_UPS.html#38U7J4S3mP5pcmkt.99