dealing with constant harassment from supervisors

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How do you guys and gals deal with the constant harassing, nit-picking, micromanaging of your superiors. It gets so old and when they aren't doing it to you then your coworkers are getting it...we all try to take it one day at a time but to look ahead...its like poking your eyeballs out...how do some of you cope with this kind of environment??

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Find yourself a satellite route. I usually only see a member of management one time a year for my annual safety ride. They send their drivel daily via diad message but just respond "I read your safety message" and move on. Once in awhile they will call via cellphone but with caller ID I never seem to have the time to answer. Have been much happier the last three years not having to deal with management on a daily basis!

CAFAL

Don't take it personal. Show up 3 mins before start time. Get in truck and go. Punch out in your truck after you park. There are many ways to avoid them. Or just act like an adult and do your job. You can always say "I worked safe today. No injuries, no accidents ".

Indecisi0n

You need a shop steward to hold your hand while answering a simple question?

No it's my way of harassing them back. They need to go find my rep, wait until he is ready then go into the office. By the time everything is said and done I then tell sup I now need air help which pisses them off just as much as me when they ask me why I was 45 seconds over on random stops. They don't question me as much as the other guys.

stink219

Face to face like a man. It is only if the questions may lead to something more substantial do I ask for my shop steward.
Come on! You have never asked for a steward in your career! You work in the Bubble of Goodness. They probably don't even have stewards there!
He's just trying to self promote. It makes feel above it all. The only reason he wouldn't want anyone there, is so there are no witnesses to see him crack under pressure.

BrownBlue

New Jack
Some of the response are obviously from people who have never had to deal with real unprovoked harassment. "Just do what I do, I don't get harassed," this kind of answer usually already been tried. Document everything you can get your steward and other co-workers involved, people who if they see it happen they can publicly call off the dog.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
How do you guys and gals deal with the constant harassing, nit-picking, micromanaging of your superiors. It gets so old and when they aren't doing it to you then your coworkers are getting it...we all try to take it one day at a time but to look ahead...its like poking your eyeballs out...how do some of you cope with this kind of environment??
Being overly supervised is an Art. 37, Sec. 1 violation. If it's serious enough to cause you stress, get a steward. If it continues, write them up.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Being overly supervised is an Art. 37, Sec. 1 violation. If it's serious enough to cause you stress, get a steward. If it continues, write them up.
What ive seen is some drivers don't really care and have a high tollerance for it and others start freaking out if they are even asked a question ...

packageguy

At first I put a grievence we sat down with building manager a supervisor,
and sure as **** it all stops the very next day.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
First of all, NEVER answer one of their questions until start time. Many sups try this crap because their boss has given them so much to do. Too bad; that's their problem. "I'm not on the clock." Remember that. Repeat it to them a few times and they will know not to approach you before your start time.

After start time, there a few quality ways to deal with a nagging supervisor. But the most important thing you have to remember is this: remain cool and calm. I can't tell you how many sups I've known through the years whose main tactic was getting people angry. I think this is something UPS trains their managers at prick school. Don't fall for it. Cool, calm and collected. Even if you aren't dealing with a hothead, you still need to keep your head on tight. Many sups will try to make you angry because they like to argue. My current feeder manager is this kind of guy. His main tactic is trying to make us mad. Then, if you cuss back at him, he will threaten you with disciplinary action for using abusive language. True story. On the flip side of that, and this goes for a lot of sups that are like this, they tend to flip out when you talk in a quiet monotone voice to them. Especially when you have facts on your side. Again, my feeder manager is this kind of fellow. A true unprofessional.

Back to you, one way to answer their questions or complaints about the job you are doing is simply playing stupid. This is usually pretty effective if you sell it right. A few years back, I completely frustrated my driver sup, who was irritated that I kept going over 9.5. He asked about it, and I just kind of went diagonal on him. He asked why I was over 9.5, and I told him I got home at 8:30. He looked puzzled and asked again. I told him that I thought my pick-up pieces were unloaded before the sort was through. Again, he scratched his head, and repeated his question. I, in turn, asked him how hard he wanted me to work throughout the week. I think you get what I'm saying. Stupid is good in this case.

Another way, is point out the exact wording of Article 37. "The employer shall not in any intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties." Tell him or her that you feel that they are violating this section of the contract. If they push further, then get your rep, and make the sup document what he is saying to you. You should also make a note of every instance that you were harassed. Note the date, what was said to you and who said it. This will help later down the line if you need to file a grievance.

I never did it in package car, but in feeders, I keep a notebook and I write EVERYTHING down. Any delays I have, however small or brief, I write it down. If the weather was rainy and I couldn't drive my normal speed, I write it down. If I had a problem with my equipment, I write it down. You don't have to be that detailed in PC, but it wouldn't hurt to jot down any problems you had each day. You know how it is, there is always some hiccup in your day. And management loves to ask you what happened 3 or 4 days ago. Well, how would you know? The days roll together. But with my book, my sups know I have an answer when they ask. Accordingly, they don't seem to ask me about the details much anymore.

I've went on too long here, but just remember, keep cool. Don't be intimidated. And always tell them, "I'm doing, and will continue to do the best I can."

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I arrive 2 minutes to start, which has also cut down on socializing with other drivers, but its about self preservation, not friendship.
Ive read many good ways of handling it, on this thread and many many others.
I try to use any and all. Im not good at stress. Sending me on the road, stressed out, is not good for them or me. They should not do it. My best reply was when I had a ton of air, and he wanted to chit chat about production. I simply said I dont have time for this now, hang out tonight when I get in and we will have a sit down. He said, I dont want to be here til 8......................I said neither do I..............fix my dispatch and get me in at 5.