Dealing with psoriasis

I've been driving about 16 years and over that time it has spread to more areas of my body. Since it has started to affect my face my dermentologist suggested that I try to grow my beard out since shaving everyday is making it worse. Well to make a long story short, I was told that would never be accepted. My question is, if any of you guys and gals know of anyone dealing with the same issues?

U

uber

I've read about another driver growing out a beard without a problem. I think he had the same issue, psoriasis. I believe it was discussed in the Union Issues forum. Might want to do a search over there.

P

pickup

We have a guy in my local who has some sort of facial issue that he got a doctor's note for that allows him not to shave. He keeps it very manageable but he does have a beard, albeit a very short one.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Wow, how Ironic. Wont try enbrel, and I have suffered with it for ever. Got my first spot when I was 17, it sucks. for yrs went to dermatiologist, and tried everything under the sun.
Wont try Enbrel, too many side effects (possible0 for me to try it. I have it on my head, you are told to grow a beard and my dermi said the only way to get rid of it is shave the hair. :hangin:
Anyway, I use crack creme, it works, try it. I also use cheapo suave coconut hair conditioner, It literally disappears and give you relief. But the crack creme is like 5 bucks, carry it with you, instant relief and gets rid of the flakes, and plaques. or whatever they are called,
Stress makes it much worse. So being a driver today, good luck.
scratching them off only makes it come back thicker. Also, try oil of oregano, do a search. It can also be caused from too much fungus in your body, oregano oil, not regular oregano, fights the fungus from the inside and no side effects. Only good effects.
Keep us posted.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thanks tooner, I am also weary of Embrel. I am using currently using Taclonex. It works really good but can't use it around the face.
Try crack creme seriously, its a Godsend.
Plus some of the stuff I have been prescribed has skulls and bones on it and and has to be washed and removed after 6 hrs, I left some of it on for 12AND GOT DEATHLY ILL. aND IT TOOK THE DRUG STORE 3 DAYS TO GET ALL THE INGREDIENTS TOGETHER, YA CRACK CREME.

BrownArmy

I have the "P" as well...there's a reason they call it 'the horror'!

No idea if the beard will fly, but...

People with psoriasis respond differently to different treatments, but the thing that works like gangbusters for me is narrow-band UVB light-therapy treatment. It's a friggin' medical miracle. It's like a tanning booth but with special bulbs - it's called narrow-band UVB because it's the portion of the light-spectrum that psoriasis responds to.

After (at the worst) having over 50% percent of my body covered in the nasty plaques, six weeks of the light therapy cleared me up about 95%. Ask your derm doctor about the light-therapy!

You have to cover your face for the light-therapy treatments (one treatment is sort of like a day in the sun), so as far as your face goes, light therapy would only help a bit. For the spots on my face and ears I use Dovonex and triamcinolone acetonide, etc. etc.

After being on photo-therapy it's been night to day difference for me...couldn't afford it before working for UPS, but now I've got the UPS 'cadillac' health care plan...
I won't go on enbrel either - too many side-effects and I have an aversion to needles! :panicsmiley:

I'm sure you know all this, but:

Stress is a huge and definite factor which is difficult to control, especially being a driver for this nut-ball company.

Some other factors you can control: getting adequate and routine sleep, minimizing alcohol intake + smoking, minimizing animal fats in the diet, taking specific vitamin supplements, etc. Basically major boring ****e.

Good luck with it, I know it's a major pain. Right when I started driving at UPS (when I had bad psoriasis) I would wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts all summer, everyone thought I was nuts. One guy asked me, "what's wrong with you; what, are you covered in tattoos, it's 95 degrees out, put the shorts on man!!!"

LOL. Yah, I'm covered in some real nasty tattoos buddy...

We talked about the light therapy last time I saw the doctor. Gonna see how the Taclonex works over the next couple of months. I feel your pain with the long sleeves and pants. I'm in TX so people think I'm crazy during the summer months.