dealing with snow

jlphotog

There was one week last winter when there was no way I was driving off the bus routes. The side streets were such a mess I never would have gotten back out. Delivering ressies was a chore. I took what I could carry and walked the side streets. There was no sense in taking my cart as it has wheels not skis. The ressies which usually take me 60 to 75 minutes to do, took me over 4 hours that week.

There was also one day I got stuck 6 times. The first five times I either borrowed a shovel from someone in the neighborhood and dug myself out or people in the area actually pushed me out. The last time they had to send a tow truck. That was a three hour wait.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
That's one thing I don't get,people who bid for rural routes. Its a beautiful drive from spring to fall but winter? forget it! Too many horror stories about trucks running off into ditches and besides they don't maintain roads out there in the boonies. At least in the city they lay down de-icer and plow the main drags. Be careful where you step , resi and driveways just waiting for the next driver to slip and break something...ouch!

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Wow, I guess I should feel better about working in these mild Central Illinois winters after hearing you guys up ther in Canada, eh? You guys are real Troopers! Yesterday we had a freezing rain that put about 1 inch of ice on everything. It was a great day to stay put in the house. Then last night it warmed up all through the night and it was 59 degreees at 10am, that was the high and it's getting back to freezing temps now. It's a real challenge working out of pkg car that you have to make a choice between a small amount of warmth near your feet or a small patch of you windshield defrosted, My poor feet.:sad-very:

ups79

Wow, I guess I should feel better about working in these mild Central Illinois winters after hearing you guys up ther in Canada, eh? You guys are real Troopers! Yesterday we had a freezing rain that put about 1 inch of ice on everything. It was a great day to stay put in the house. Then last night it warmed up all through the night and it was 59 degreees at 10am, that was the high and it's getting back to freezing temps now. It's a real challenge working out of pkg car that you have to make a choice between a small amount of warmth near your feet or a small patch of you windshield defrosted, My poor feet.:sad-very:

Where in central illinois are you living?

Big Babooba

That's one thing I don't get,people who bid for rural routes. Its a beautiful drive from spring to fall but winter? forget it! Too many horror stories about trucks running off into ditches and besides they don't maintain roads out there in the boonies. At least in the city they lay down de-icer and plow the main drags. Be careful where you step , resi and driveways just waiting for the next driver to slip and break something...ouch!
I've done several rural routes. It seems that the small towns do a great job on the roads. It's the driveways that get you. The homeowners have 4wd and and get pissed because I can't get up the 3 mile long driveway to their house at the top of the mountain.

rushfan

I like snow. Snow=$$$. Putting chains on package cars-that's nothing. Try putting 3 railers on a twin screw and drag chains. That's one reason why the feeder drivers avoid the spare twin screws in our yard during winter.

Dirty Savage

Paranoid Android
It's snowing here right now. I am having visions of at least two people at our centre not being able to come to work tomorrow. Planes and trailers late. Gotta love winter!

CFLBrown

The only effect Florida sees with snow/ice is that the AIR is late due to bad weather. Winter sucks, never enough snow/ice for my drink. Hmm. Which pair of shorts do I wear tomorrow?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You warm people have no heart.
My shorts are tidily packed away, and if one more idiot male person says, "hey Honey wheres your shorts" when there are 50 mile an hour gusts, and its 22, with wind chill, 8 degrees (wind chill for you southern guys is how cold it actually freaking feels) I think I will grab him, throw him to the ground and take his shorts and stuff them in his mouth....................
Now happy winter, peak, and Merry Christmas!!

Big Babooba

The only effect Florida sees with snow/ice is that the AIR is late due to bad weather. Winter sucks, never enough snow/ice for my drink. Hmm. Which pair of shorts do I wear tomorrow?
Here's a hint. Wear the brown ones!

My shorts are tidily packed away, and if one more idiot male person says, "hey Honey wheres your shorts" when there are 50 mile an hour gusts, and its 22, with wind chill, 8 degrees (wind chill for you southern guys is how cold it actually freaking feels) I think I will grab him, throw him to the ground and take his shorts and stuff them in his mouth....................

I never wear shorts and all the girls ask me why not. I answer them, "Sorry, no cheap thrills for you. I'm out here to deliver packages, not run from women". LOL

over9five

Staff member
"Sorry, no cheap thrills for you. I'm out here to deliver packages, not run from women"

Awesome! I will use that line from now on!

browndude

just a couple of days ago our wind chill was down to 70! i gotta find that jacket soon. lol

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Relax, Tooner. Take a deep cleansing breath. Now repeat after me... just ignore them, just ignore them:whiteflag: those stupid fla. boys will get theirs in AUGUST! when it's 115 degrees... ha!