Dear Jeff Bezos

FedExRookie

Jeff, somehow I hope this letter provides some enlightenment about the way FedEx operates. First, by now you're probably hearing all of the excuses Fred S and his minions can pull out of their collective butts. Don't believe a single word of it. "Weather problems", "unexpected volume", and all the rest of it is nothing but crap. FedEx did nothing to prepare for the Peak 2013 season. If anything, they reduced capacity by implementing a retarded routing system called DRA and then simply expected all employees to suddenly become more productive and make-up the difference.

Unlike UPS, FedEx Express made essentially no preparations for Peak. UPS hired temporary drivers and runners, rented extra vehicles, and geared-up for the worst. FedEx did nothing until it was obvious that a disaster was underway, and by then, it was too late. FedEx stations and ramps were full of late, rotting, and stagnant packages going nowhere. You know the rest of the story...unhappy customers, late gifts, and unfulfilled promises.

FedEx is a company that is living on a reputation for excellence it no longer deserves. It is run by incompetent morons who mainly make decisions that will serve to pump-up the price of FedEx stock and inflate their lucrative option packages. Over the last 2 years, Mr. Bronczek, Mr. Smith, and many other top officers have been milking this cash cow to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars, mainly through cutting costs and lowering service levels.

Maybe that's "good business" to you, but I suspect not, especially since Amazon disappointed a huge number of customers this year, thanks to Fred S and his top-level management team making horrendously bad decisions...over and over.

Yes, UPS blew-it too, but at least they made an honest effort to protect service and satisfy customers. Fred S has your money...that's all he cares about.

My station had 35+ rental vehicles and I know a hub hired a ton of temp workers. I actually get to see projection numbers from management for our station and nearby stations and they had a decent forecast of packages inbound. They could have done far more from what I saw; however, to say they did nothing is foolish.

I did see a lot of service disruptions in regards to the weather put on several days after the weather had no affect on our ability to perform services.

SmithBarney

Amazon apparently was satisfied enough to DUMP a ton of Saturday rescue packages on the Saturday crews at FEDEX. I heard from our Sat(ToDAY) people that they were slammed and most just got finished up at around 8pm...

vantexan

Social media either showed a massive conspiracy by MFE to tarnish FedEx,or the more plausible, as witnessed firsthand by many of us.We sucked equally as bad nationwide as UPS!
And yet there's no proof of that other than it was an extra heavy, tough Peak for everyone. And to be clear, MFE is saying Express was much worse than UPS. There's just no way to know that.

thedownhillEXPRESS

There no way to know a lot of things....
Does God exist?
Is there life on other planets?
Who's gonna win the Super Bowl?
What really happened in Benghazi!!?
I'm pretty sure out of all of them we can say FedEx screwed up royally this peak

vantexan

There no way to know a lot of things....
Does God exist?
Is there life on other planets?
Who's gonna win the Super Bowl?
What really happened in Benghazi!!?
I'm pretty sure out of all of them we can say FedEx screwed up royally this peak
Spin it away, but he was saying FedEx was much worse than UPS. And yet it was the Christmas packages UPS failed to deliver that the media focused on.

overflowed

Spin it away, but he was saying FedEx was much worse than UPS. And yet it was the Christmas packages UPS failed to deliver that the media focused on.
Hey Van, hope all is well with you. I think the only reason the media is castrating Ups is Ups manned up and told the media some crap won't get delivered. This happens every year with us we just don't bring attention to it. My own opinion.

SmithBarney

Most people can't tell the difference between UPS and FedEx anyway... I can't tell you how many times I've walked into stores, or up to houses, and people shout UPS is here... huh what?

cancan

UPS owned it. But UPS is also a lot more trusted than Fedex. I think saying you got a late package from Fedex is like saying you had a bad customer service experience at Walmart. Its expected.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
My station had 35+ rental vehicles and I know a hub hired a ton of temp workers. I actually get to see projection numbers from management for our station and nearby stations and they had a decent forecast of packages inbound. They could have done far more from what I saw; however, to say they did nothing is foolish.

I did see a lot of service disruptions in regards to the weather put on several days after the weather had no affect on our ability to perform services.

Overall, they did nothing to prepare. My impression is that the only responded when it was abundantly clear that things were in full cluster mode. I my district we went weeks without enough vehicles and PowerPads. No temps were hired at all, but we did have cartage agents...again, only when it was beyond obvious that we were in deep crap. Major management and planning FAIL.

vantexan

UPS owned it. But UPS is also a lot more trusted than Fedex. I think saying you got a late package from Fedex is like saying you had a bad customer service experience at Walmart. Its expected.
And I can't begin to tell you how many customers over the years told me they use FedEx because they can't count on UPS. I believe the gap has narrowed, but isn't Express still the most reliable, on time service?

TUT

And I can't begin to tell you how many customers over the years told me they use FedEx because they can't count on UPS. I believe the gap has narrowed, but isn't Express still the most reliable, on time service?

It's narrowed across the board. What used to be Fedex Express>UPS>Fedex Ground is indistinguishable. One slipped a tad, another improved and one stayed consistent. Overall it's as good as it ever been for 51 weeks per year any way.

hypo hanna

But FedEx never admitted to not being able to get the job done like UPS did. UPS is responding to all the criticism, FedEx doesn't have to.
But FedEx never admitted to not being able to get the job done like UPS did. UPS is responding to all the criticism, FedEx doesn't have to.
My view is they don't want to. They would rather spin it then address the systemic issues behind the failures.

FedExRookie

But they're in competition with UPS. Why would they admit to anything, especially when the media isn't going after them?

Get out of here with your logic.

We had 0 retired folk swing by this peak :/

My buddy(cousin) had 3 retirees from your old station go by, mentioned you swung by, if he was correct... WTF were you doing there lol. If i retired i would never step foot there again, except to ship a package. :D

Express Courier

Most people can't tell the difference between UPS and FedEx anyway... I can't tell you how many times I've walked into stores, or up to houses, and people shout UPS is here... huh what?
Just yesterday I had a delivery and this guy comes walking out to me before I make it to his door and he says "Are you UPS or FedEx?" As I'm walking up to him in my FedEx uniform with my FedEx truck in full view right in front of us. I seriously looked at him like, is this man retarded? I looked at my truck and back at him and said nothing. He gave a half smirk and that was that. lol I just still don't know about that one.

vantexan

Get out of here with your logic.

We had 0 retired folk swing by this peak :/

My buddy(cousin) had 3 retirees from your old station go by, mentioned you swung by, if he was correct... WTF were you doing there lol. If i retired i would never step foot there again, except to ship a package. :D

I was enjoying Christmas at my Mom's in eastern North Carolina. :beach: