Dear Scott Davis

Should Christmas be sacred.

• Yes. keep this day a special time for employees to relax and celebrate with their families.

Votes: 80 78.4%
  • I disagree its important we maintain our competitive edge.

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters

Leftinbuilding

Merry Christmas,,Merry Christmas ,,Merry Christmas!!!! I hope i have offended somebody here!!!!! I think the moral fiber of this country began with the removal of GOD from the schools,,, I'm not a religious nut by no means ,but look at all the far out nuts from that court decision onward!! Well in a democracy,the majority rules,Jesus stays!! If you dont like it,lady Liberty wont keep yah here, the door is allways open to go back to your country where you could be killed or locked up for speaking your mind !!! Merry Christmas!!!!

Kinda appropriate here........

Please accept with no obligation, implied or implicit my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all;"
PLUS
"a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great, (not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country or is the only "AMERICA" in the western hemisphere), and without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith, choice of computer platform, or sexual orientation of the wisher." (Disclaimer: By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others, and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. This wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year, or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting, whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to replacement of this wish or issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher who assumes no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit.)

with love (unless it will upset or offend you in any way in which case, please disregard that closing statement)

--

tieguy

Banned
Tie, I think I must have missed something here. Is this (working Christmas) being considered, or are you trying to "head it off at the pass"? Jim Casey had only been gone a few years, but I wonder if he would recognize his company. From the little I have studied him, I don't think anyone would have had the guts to even suggest working Christmas day. Amazing.

When we pickup packages on christmas eve this year to deliver the day after it will mean that we will have pilots flying , air sorts running and feeder drivers moving air loads from air hubs on christmas day. It is definitely in the plans.

At the same time I have seen us continue to allow large shippers to push us to the very last possible minute which then continues to infringe more and more on this special day.

We have holidays all year long that we work. I think there should be one day a year where we as a company politely tell our customers that we will be shutting down for our employees and familys.
For those who are non christians it still becomes a paid day off to spend with their familys. I personally would have no problem having extra paid days off while my muslim or jewish friends celebrate their holiday......:) Therefore I don't think its really a forced religion type issue.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Therefore I don't think its really a forced religion type issue.
its not, therefore my post.

to whomever, what ever christmas means to you, fine. sunday laws are something of a different story.

but as a tradition, having christmas off is a ups tradition. and while the traditional logo went by the wayside, some things are worth keeping.

problem with the air services, there is a huge air system that has to work. not all those people will volunteer, so there will always be those that will be forced to work that holiday. and that is what i have an issue with. it it was all really truly voluntary, then it would be something different. but no way it can be.

d

W

westsideworma

Merry Christmas,,Merry Christmas ,,Merry Christmas!!!! I hope i have offended somebody here!!!!! I think the moral fiber of this country began with the removal of GOD from the schools,,, I'm not a religious nut by no means ,but look at all the far out nuts from that court decision onward!! Well in a democracy,the majority rules,Jesus stays!! If you dont like it,lady Liberty wont keep yah here, the door is allways open to go back to your country where you could be killed or locked up for speaking your mind !!! Merry Christmas!!!!

While I am no religious advocate (I believe in it, just practicing if you know what I mean?) I agree. This country is now catering to the many people who have filtered into it and the outspoken minority of overly liberal people. When I say minority I do not mean black, hispanic or anything like that. I mean the minority of the citizenry that is the squeaky wheel. They instead of the people who have been living in it for hundreds of years. Do I care if you celebrate whatever holiday you hold dear? Absolutely not. Do I care if you come to my country or were born in this country (either way) and tell me I can't celebrate mine? You bet your ass I do. It goes both ways children, don't try to make this country be politically correct. That phrase, "PC", is destroying long accepted practices and beliefs because SOMEONE is offended. WHO CARES? If you don't like my christmas tree in my front window, look across the street because its not coming down (this was an actual argument, I kid you not). Where does it end? I mean at least in my town when the vote to take away the manger scene from downtown came up it was absolutely defeated. I couldn't believe the vote even came up? I mean *** the town has been doing it long before I was born and NOW we decided oh maybe we shouldn't have one because one or two people are offended? Just plain stupid and a waste of time for drafting the possible motion and then holding a special election for it. I don't care if we put a menorah near it or a mosque down the street. This country is a melting pot (or was founded on such grounds). That doesn't mean we weed things out. It means things meld together and we have been casting out too many widely accepted traditions and such and even the age of 26, it makes me sick. Also since this is the land of the free, as covemaster said, no one is keeping you here and no one is forcing you to agree with me.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Ok, I mean really, how many people honestly celebrate veterans day? In an honest way? How many people celebrate the 4th of July the way it's meant to celebrate? How many people honestly celebrate Memorial day? I know there's people who do and I do not begrudge them that at all. MAJOR KUDOS to those that do. Christmas is a holiday that has been accepted as a day to take off work for a long time. If you are not Christian, then celebrate it as a paid day off and leave the pissing and moaning about a christian holiday alone. You're seriously waisting everyones time with your ranting about percieved forced religion. There's only 3 days that most people celebrate for what they are and that's labor day and the New Years days.

sendagain

If you are really waiting to get that gift to UPS on Christmas Eve, I don't think you are responsible enough to dictate to the men at UPS that they need to deliver your package on Christmas. That driver will show up at many a door and those customers will be somewhere else celebrating the holiday. I never minded working on Christmas Eve, but we should draw the line somewhere.

raceanoncr

Okay, everyone...it's NOW the time to say "Goodbye" to Tieguy. This thread WILL be traced to him and Tie will be part of the after-Christmas
"Realignment"!

Uh, I'm thinking "Special Assignment" to Somalia, as, oh, let's create a spot here, "Employeee Retention Manager". Or maybe, "Pirate Retention Manager"?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are really waiting to get that gift to UPS on Christmas Eve, I don't think you are responsible enough to dictate to the men at UPS that they need to deliver your package on Christmas. That driver will show up at many a door and those customers will be somewhere else celebrating the holiday. I never minded working on Christmas Eve, but we should draw the line somewhere.

I think you may have missed the point. Drivers will not be working Christmas Day. Employees who work to move the air will be working as the day after is a regular day.

upsdude

To quote Larry the Cable Guy, “Christians only get 3 holidays as it is, Easter, Christmas and the Daytona 500”

Excellent post Tie, and I agree with you 100%.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I can recall the arguments when states in New England began to repeal "Blue Laws", which were laws which dictated what days stores could be open. Traditionally stores would be closed on Sunday to allow families to worship together

problem is that business closing on their own convictions are fine. chick-fil-a is a great example of that type of conviction.

the problem with the blue laws is that the state dictated what day you needed to observe and take off. and that is where the rubber hits the road with "christians and christians". devout believers that sunday is to be kept as a day of rest and is holy can and do so on their own. the problem is that the state was telling everybody to be closed as a religious observance.

problem is what if i believe that another day is holy. take saturday for instance.

in my business, and is many others, the weekend is a large portion of the total sales for the week. 80 or more percent.

now, i am devout and take saturday off, but for this example, sunday is just another day. why should my business be barred from being open if there are customers that wish to shop here on sunday? what right does the state have to dictate that type of "morality"?

which brings me to the next stage. if you allow the gooberment, which does such a great job with everything they touch, to teach your children what is moral and what is not, teach them the science of evolution, teach them there is no right or wrong, that everything is relative. if you allow this type of teaching in our schools............wait, that is exactly what has been going on. parents have been allowing the school to teach our children what they think is right and wrong, what they think is important values for your child to carry them though their lives.

maybe that is why there has been a decline in morality, relativism from the top office in the land to the board rooms and dens of our once great country. we can no longer discriminate between right and wrong, as that is now a hate crime. our country is suffering from a real lack of common sense. and our gooberment is not the one to bring it back.

you are. by your actions, your words, your beliefs. did you pass them on to your offspring, or are you letting daycare and the school system do it for you?

that is why. and only we can stop it.

now, as to getting back on topic, just because i dont believe in santa and believe that christmas is holy is not an indication that i hate Jesus. to the contrary. so dont make a religious statement about who you offend when you say merry christmas. cause it is not me.

so to one and all, merry christmas, unless you are one of the ones forced to work, then happy fat paycheck. :wink2:

d

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Last I looked, Christmas falls on the 25th every year. If you wait until the 24th to have something shipped, unless it's a human heart, too damn bad. Your spoiled brat of a kid can play with his other 40 gifts before he gets bored with them and you take them to Goodwill on Jan 5th. The Monster has spoken.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Last I looked, Christmas falls on the 25th every year. If you wait until the 24th to have something shipped, unless it's a human heart, too damn bad. Your spoiled brat of a kid can play with his other 40 gifts before he gets bored with them and you take them to Goodwill on Jan 5th. The Monster has spoken.

..and what he said was straight forward, vintage BM.

drewed

Shankman
The arguement this country was based on christian/anglican beliefs and values doesnt hold up when we're an intl company.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm a "Happy Holidays" kinda guy, xmas doesn't hold any religious significance for me. But it is a paid day off, and we don't get a whole lot of those, so I would just as soon keep it that way. It wouldn't bother me at all if they had a volunteer list for people who were willing to work that day though.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The argument this country was based on christian/anglican beliefs and values doesn't hold up when we're an intl company.

Not that the two (country and company) have anything to do with one another in this context. Sort of like apples in a grocery store. :funny:

barnyard

KTM rider
I used to always work on Christmas, Easter, cripes I worked almost all Sundays, too. Dairy farmers typically do not get days off....

If I had a choice between having Christmas off or having Election Day off, I would choose Election day.

TB

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Why do people with religion have to be nuts, psycho's or terrorists? Christmas is a Christian holiday, period.

That aside, I believe that some things are sacred and should remain that way. JT's post was right on. The way we return to the innocence of our youth is to teach our children those same morals and values that we cling to so dearly. That means spending the time with them, to teach, and model in our own behavior, those very things. Christmas is one of those very days to do this. I love mandatory holidays.

Sleep in, wake up well rested and go love your family, before it's too late. This had been my honest opinion.

Checkout my blog and see what spending quality family time is all about.

webbedtogether.blogspot.com