Death In Immediate Family.

NY11725

Hey guys,

My great grand father passed away on Monday, it's been very hard on me as he was there since I was just a premature baby. I haven't been into work Since Monday, and was just wondering how many days the company will pay for this. A few years ago when my great grand mother passed, I only took off 3 days, and my pay stub said FUNERAL, and I was paid for 3 days at 4 hours per day. For some reason, my GGP is taking a bigger toll on me, and I already took off 4 days. I feel it would be kinda stupid to just go back for today, and then go right into the weekend. So depending on the answer to my question, I guess will determine if I go back today, or just wait until Monday.

Thanks!

Leftinbuilding

Sorry about your loss. That can be very hard. As to your question, your contract will tell you exactly. You can pull up an online copy.

NY11725

Whatever you decide, the supes would probably appreciate a call to let them know your intentions. Communication is always a good thing and can prevent a lot of problems.

I agree, which is why they are well aware of the situation. Not just my supe, but about 2 or 3 others too.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
very sorry for your loss my brother. :sad-little:
past practice in my building if the death happened over a weekend (or on Monday in your case) is that you can take a full week off but you will only get paid for 4 days regardless of a travel day.

ARTICLE 29.
Section 2. Funeral Leave

In the event of a death of a member of the employee’s family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite.

Members of the employee’s family means spouse, child, or step- child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and father-in-law and step-parents.

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days fol- lowing the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. In cases involving the funeral of a relative listed in paragraph 2 above, an employee who attends the funeral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a minimum of two (2) days off.
An employee shall be allowed one (1) day off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite of a sister-in-law or a brother-in-law. Reimbursement for this day shall be the same as provided below.
Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel, except as provided above. In no event will total compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled work days. The employee will be reimbursed at eight (8) times the employee’s straight-time hourly rate for each day lost from work for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is five (5) days, and ten (10) times the straight-time hourly rate for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is four (4) days. Part-time employees will receive the same benefits as above, paid at four (4) times the employee’s hourly rate. Better conditions contained in Supplements, Riders or Addenda will be maintained by present employees. All employees hired after July 2, 1982 will be covered by the above language.

Last edited:

NY11725

past practice in my building if the death happened over a weekend is that you can take a full week off but you will only get paid for 4 days regardless of a travel day.

ARTICLE 29.
Section 2. Funeral Leave

In the event of a death of a member of the employee’s family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite.

Members of the employee’s family means spouse, child, or step- child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and father-in-law and step-parents.

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days fol- lowing the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. In cases involving the funeral of a relative listed in paragraph 2 above, an employee who attends the funeral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a minimum of two (2) days off.
An employee shall be allowed one (1) day off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite of a sister-in-law or a brother-in-law. Reimbursement for this day shall be the same as provided below.
Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel, except as provided above. In no event will total compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled work days. The employee will be reimbursed at eight (8) times the employee’s straight-time hourly rate for each day lost from work for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is five (5) days, and ten (10) times the straight-time hourly rate for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is four (4) days. Part-time employees will receive the same benefits as above, paid at four (4) times the employee’s hourly rate. Better conditions contained in Supplements, Riders or Addenda will be maintained by present employees. All employees hired after July 2, 1982 will be covered by the above language.

I appreciate your condolences.

If I read this properly, as a PT, I get a total of 4 days. So looks like I go back in tonight.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
contractually you wont get paid if you take tonight off, but if your not ready well then your not ready. unless you have an absentee problem im sure you could use a sick/personal day if you have any left or a unpaid scheduled day off. call your sup and see what he has to say. if you can afford the day without pay stay home.

NY11725

contractually you wont get paid if you take tonight off, but if your not ready well then your not ready. unless you have an absentee problem im sure you could use a sick/personal day if you have any left or a unpaid scheduled day off. call your sup and see what he has to say. if you can afford the day without pay stay home.

Unfortunately, I only have 1 day left from my 8 due to me taking a bunch of days over the past 3 weeks because of his health, and the family needing me to be around " just in case ", so not sure if I should burn it now. I mean, I am kind of ready to go back, but then again I'm not, so I don't know.

Leftinbuilding

I agree with this however, sometimes getting back into a routine can help with the healing. Maybe going in tonight, then immediately having a couple more days off would help you ease back in. Whichever, God be with you.

NY11725

I agree with this however, sometimes getting back into a routine can help with the healing. Maybe going in tonight, then immediately having a couple more days off would help you ease back in. Whichever, God be with you.

Indeed, and it's Friday, which is normally like a 6:30 start, so I would only be working for like 2.5 hours, I could stay for my 3.5, but I would probably just leave due to the circumstances.

raceanoncr

Condolences to you. So good to see you had such a great relationship.

All good comments here, especially COMMUNICATING. They may not even be expecting you in tonight. How do you feel? Do you actually FEEL like going in? Talk to them. It may be, if you don't feel like it, they'll just let you book off.

My mom died on early Tues morn. I was scheduled to S/W at 12:45 AM on feeder run (start of my week). By then, Hospice had taken over, called to say she was unresponsive and it could be now. I called CO., they said, fine, just let us know. Died at 2:40 AM. Called em in morn to tell em. They said, "You probably taking rest of week off?" I said, "Probably". Fine, just let us know. Take as much as you need. Of course, I only got paid for what contract said. My point? I communicated, they understood and worked with me.

Again, it depends on how you feel tonight. Work MAY be good, maybe not. But, let em know, OK?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
past practice in my building if the death happened over a weekend (or on Monday in your case) is that you can take a full week off but you will only get paid for 4 days regardless of a travel day.

ARTICLE 29.
Section 2. Funeral Leave

I appreciate your condolences.

If I read this properly, as a PT, I get a total of 4 days. So looks like I go back in tonight.

First off, I'm sorry for your loss.
Secondly, you aren't going to be paid for any of the days you missed due to you great grandfathers passing.
I'm afraid great grandparents aren't included for bereavement pay.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Everyone is different but I am certainly more of a get right back to work type person.

NY11725

Secondly, you aren't going to be paid for any of the days you missed due to you great grandfathers passing.

I got paid for my great grand mother, 3 days.

so, seems like they do.

and plus, i told them grand mother, and I told them grand father.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

so, seems like they do.

I'd keep that to yourself at the very least.
The reality of it is, you are being dishonest and stealing from the company and will be fired if they find out.

Again, sorry for your loss and I hope your losses aren't multiplied.

Brownslave688

so, seems like they do.

Where u may have a problem with this is once you've taken off for 5 "grandmother" funeral ups is gonna be like WTF.

This all depends on your center. Some places are pretty easy on you others want proof of who it is where the funeral is and that they have indeed passed.

NY11725

The reality of it is, you are being dishonest and stealing from the company and will be fired if they find out.

My great grand parents were closer than my grand parents, so in my eyes, they are my grand parents.

NY11725

Where u may have a problem with this is once you've taken off for 5 "grandmother" funeral ups is gonna be like WTF.

This all depends on your center. Some places are pretty easy on you others want proof of who it is where the funeral is and that they have indeed passed.

No, I have no reason to take off and say a grand parent passed if they really didn't nor would I make up fake relatives. I'm a well trusted, honored PT employee in my building, and they know if I am not there, something has to be wrong.

Brownslave688

My great grand parents were closer than my grand parents, so in my eyes, they are my grand parents.

We aren't trying to beat u up for takin days off but in your eyes really doesn't matter at all.

It's how the contract reads and as bubble said your stealing from the company and can be fired.