Death In Immediate Family.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am trying to have a serious conversation with you on a topic which I am not very well versed on. I could very easily just call my BA but he would just give me his interpretation. You must know people higher up the food chain who can answer this for us. Please try to get clarification on this and post the response that you get whether or not that response is the one that you were looking for.

I still contend that the two terms were meant to be inclusive, not exclusive, and that the OP was well within his rights to request and accept compensation for the 4 days he took off for his great grandparent's funeral.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
ARTICLE 29.
Section 2. Funeral Leave

In the event of a death of a member of the employee’s family, a seniority employee shall be allowed a reasonable time off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite.

Members of the employee’s family means spouse, child, or step- child, grandchild, father, mother, brother, sister, grandparents, mother-in-law and father-in-law and step-parents.

A regular full-time employee shall be guaranteed two (2) days off to be taken between the day of death and two (2) working days fol- lowing the funeral provided the employee attends the funeral or other bereavement rite. In cases involving the funeral of a relative listed in paragraph 2 above, an employee who attends the funeral or bereavement rite is guaranteed a minimum of two (2) days off.
An employee shall be allowed one (1) day off to attend the funeral or other bereavement rite of a sister-in-law or a brother-in-law. Reimbursement for this day shall be the same as provided below.
Time off shall not extend beyond the day of the funeral unless an additional day is required for travel, except as provided above. In no event will total compensated time off exceed four (4) scheduled work days. The employee will be reimbursed at eight (8) times the employee’s straight-time hourly rate for each day lost from work for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is five (5) days, and ten (10) times the straight-time hourly rate for those employees whose regular scheduled workweek is four (4) days. Part-time employees will receive the same benefits as above, paid at four (4) times the employee’s hourly rate. Better conditions contained in Supplements, Riders or Addenda will be maintained by present employees. All employees hired after July 2, 1982 will be covered by the above language.

I don't understand what is confusing everyone. The language is pretty clear on who is covered.

Funeral Leave was always a supplemental issue until May 1st 1982.... when it was now covered under the Master Contract language.

Prior to it being in the Master language (at least in the Central Region) Grandparent's weren't even covered.

Grandparent has always meant the employee's maternal and paternal grandparent's.

Great grandparent's have never been covered. Just as your spouse's grandparent's aren't covered.

​-Bug-

Re-Raise

So Stripe basically defrauded the company?

It would appear so. And not by accident.

I suppose I could claim someone was my brother, because he always seemed like a brother to me.

The point isn't that anyone is questioning his grief, but he risked his job for a couple hundred bucks he shouldn't have received.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I am trying to have a serious conversation with you on a topic which I am not very well versed on. I could very easily just call my BA but he would just give me his interpretation. You must know people higher up the food chain who can answer this for us. Please try to get clarification on this and post the response that you get whether or not that response is the one that you were looking for.

I still contend that the two terms were meant to be inclusive, not exclusive, and that the OP was well within his rights to request and accept compensation for the 4 days he took off for his great grandparent's funeral.
I gotta disagree the language is very exclusive. If it was intended as u read then its wouldn't say step and in laws and such.