Death in Syracuse

menotyou

bella amicizia
Easy there tiger. It could be the pedestrian who took all the chances and lost. No action other than pulling him from service should be done until the investigation concludes.

Really? The local he is in is the most important factor here? Implying that if his union is strong enough, he could and should just get a hand slap if he is at fault for KILLING someone?

I think we both should put down the USvThem partisanship until the investigation concludes.

In the mean time, his own fault or not, R.I.P. to the pedestrian.
yes, if you were union, you would understand how a good BA can make a difference in this situation. I live here and drive here. I think I have a better clue. Unlike a suit in an office with a computer.

The driver has yet to be charged by a police force that charges a fly. You assume it wasn't an accident, that he intentionally drove over him. Why?

brownIEman

yes, if you were union, you would understand how a good BA can make a difference in this situation. I live here and drive here. I think I have a better clue. Unlike a suit in an office with a computer.

The driver has yet to be charged by a police force that charges a fly. You assume it wasn't an accident, that he intentionally drove over him. Why?

I assume no such thing. I reserve judgement until the investigation is concluded.

My initial inclination would be think that this was most likely the fault of the pedestrian.

Hypothetically, were it to come out later that this driver was texting when this happened and grossly negligent in this death, then were he to retain employment with UPS through the help of a good BA? Well, at that point, my position would be that everyone involved in the process, both management and union, should be deeply ashamed. Because at that point, maybe if I were a union employee I would appreciate the value of a good BA, but if I were a member of this mans family, I am guessing I would be less impressed. Wouldn't you?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Yes, if he was found to be texting while driving, I would agree in the termination. NO questions asked. I have been unjustly accused and had a weak BA. I had to pay $1500 for an attorney to get me out of something the was, by ups's video taped evidence, something I had nothing to do with.

I am not saying this is a we/them issue, I am just saying that it is a good thing the guy has a representation that is worth a damn.

Would you chose a public defender over Clarence Darrow/Johnnie Cochran/Matlock?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This was discussed during the PCM this morning. There is nothing official as yet. The road in question is 4 lanes with a 45 mph speed limit. The pedestrian was not in the crosswalk. The vehicle was a 24' box truck.

texan

A comment from the same URL above:

I drive on Erie Blvd. daily and while I am sad that this happened it's not surprising. What's worse is the pedestrians walking
in to traffic on the Erie Blvd. / Thompson Rd. interchange. There is no crosswalk so be extra careful. These roads aren't really
designed for pedestrians
. What's worse is those who do walk on Erie Blvd . don't use the narrow sidewalks.

Packmule

Precisely why I think most pedestrian right of way laws need to be repealed. Why have a law that works contrary to the natural order of things? A pedestrian will always know a vehicle is coming much easier than a driver will know a pedestrian is coming--so make them use this advantage to keep everyone safe. Otherwise, it's just too presumptuous. School zones should be the only place because kids don't pay attention to much.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Easy there desk jockey. It's always easy to spew acronyms and slogans when you don't have to deal with a horrible situation like this.

hey man, someone's gotta eat pizza and send you messages all day or you'd get the idea you can run your route how you want

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
safety by choice, not by chance

needs termination

You didnt witness the accident; you have not spoken to the driver; you have not seen any pictures, or read the police report, or gotten any information at all about what actually took place...but you are all ready to quote a buzz phrase and fire the driver. Nice.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
hey man, someone's gotta eat pizza and send you messages all day or you'd get the idea you can run your route how you want

All drivers in my loop have each others phone numbers and can set up meet points for misloads and if someone needs pu help a call or text to a fellow driver can usually cover it.....it can be done with much less management than we have now....

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
All drivers in my loop have each others phone numbers and can set up meet points for misloads and if someone needs pu help a call or text to a fellow driver can usually cover it.....it can be done with much less management than we have now....

for a 60 car center, you could probably get away with one on-car for morning meetings and then doing paperwork and training crap, a center manager to hand out discipline and fend away the higher ups, an OMS to coordinate everything that happens on road, and a PT driver to run whatever missed pieces he can at the end of the night

you could cut out at least 85K/yr of management and maintain the exact same daily numbers with a little consolidation

retired2000

the driver has over 20 years with the company and a very safe driving record. the guy that was hit was not in a cross walk. it was raining and very dark that night. plus the guy that was killed had dark clothes on.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Sorry about the pedestrian,but shame on him,,,an adult knows not to run out in a road like this,sounds like a highway to me !!! And who suffers ? the poor bastard who hit him !!If this happened to a big wig UPS stuffed suite in his own car,,would this change his opinion of EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!! My prayers are with this UPS driver right or wrong,he has to live with this!!