Death in Syracuse

over9five

Staff member
Sorry about the pedestrian,but shame on him,,,an adult knows not to run out in a road like this,sounds like a highway to me !!! And who suffers ? the poor bastard who hit him !!If this happened to a big wig UPS stuffed suite in his own car,,would this change his opinion of EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!! My prayers are with this UPS driver right or wrong,he has to live with this!!
+100

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our district CHSP people were in my center today doing an internal audit. I was chosen for an interview. After that was over I asked her about what happened in Syracuse. She was not part of the investigating team but from what she was told the road was indeed 6 lanes (3 each way), it was dusk, raining and the pedestrian was wearing dark clothing. The vehicle was a 24' box truck (Big Bertha). We both agreed that this is the last thing that either of us would want to have to deal with.

Griff

I assume no such thing. I reserve judgement until the investigation is concluded.

My initial inclination would be think that this was most likely the fault of the pedestrian.

Hypothetically, were it to come out later that this driver was texting when this happened and grossly negligent in this death, then were he to retain employment with UPS through the help of a good BA? Well, at that point, my position would be that everyone involved in the process, both management and union, should be deeply ashamed. Because at that point, maybe if I were a union employee I would appreciate the value of a good BA, but if I were a member of this mans family, I am guessing I would be less impressed. Wouldn't you?

Yeah, like firing the driver will bring the dead guys family some sort of comfort. Get back to your cubicle, don't you have some allowance numbers to reduce? Thief.

Griff

You didnt witness the accident; you have not spoken to the driver; you have not seen any pictures, or read the police report, or gotten any information at all about what actually took place...but you are all ready to quote a buzz phrase and fire the driver. Nice.

He's a part-time boss, as his title states, he will fire you next if you aren't careful.

[video=youtube;78hT0H8nt_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=78hT0H8nt_E#t=42 s[/video]

This can be heard coming from his 1992 accord that he borrows from his Mom to drive into work at 4PM to be a part-time boss.

brownIEman

Yeah, like firing the driver will bring the dead guys family some sort of comfort. Get back to your cubicle, don't you have some allowance numbers to reduce? Thief.

Firing a driver that was negligent in the death of a pedestrian would bring no relief to the dead guys family at all. It would however, bring immesurable, if unknown, relief to the family of the next guy the fired driver would have run over while texting. And that would be the point.

Do you even actually read posts for comprehension before you jump onto your righteous crusades of off the cuff and ill considered insults? I am guessing no.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Firing a driver that was negligent in the death of a pedestrian would bring no relief to the dead guys family at all. It would however, bring immesurable, if unknown, relief to the family of the next guy the fired driver would have run over while texting. And that would be the point.

Do you even actually read posts for comprehension before you jump onto your righteous crusades of off the cuff and ill considered insults? I am guessing no.

While I do agree with you I disagree with your timing.

If and when the family of the deceased decides to pursue legal action, one of the first things they will do is subpoena the driver's cell phone records and the Telematics data for that vehicle, if available, and if the lawyer is familiar with our technology. They will also post an ad asking anyone who may have witnessed the accident to contact them.

I sincerely hope for the driver's sake that this was a case of pedestrian error.

brownIEman

While I do agree with you I disagree with your timing.

If and when the family of the deceased decides to pursue legal action, one of the first things they will do is subpoena the driver's cell phone records and the Telematics data for that vehicle, if available, and if the lawyer is familiar with our technology. They will also post an ad asking anyone who may have witnessed the accident to contact them.

I sincerely hope for the driver's sake that this was a case of pedestrian error.

I understand. My comments did not reflect the driver in this story at all. They were purely hypothetical. My initial impression is that in this case, it is most likely the result of an error on the part of the pedestrian (which I have previously stated).

I was merely responding to a disrepectful and insulting post directed at me by someone who seems incapable of interfacing with members of management in any other fashion.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If the guy was hit by someone in a borrowed 92 Accord the matter would be considered an accident and all would move on. Brown means money.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Don't get me wrong--if our guy is found to be at fault he deserves to lose his job.

Another possibility not yet discussed is suicide by vehicle.
I had a shrink when I was 15. Parents thought they were doing the right thing. She was a whack job. Parents came for a 'family session'. That was the last time anyone in my family went to a shrink.
Fast forward 3 years. She jumped in front of a tractor trailer on I81, near the exit I now use to go home. Whack job. Her selfishness ruined another man's life.

suicide by vehicle is more common than realized.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I understand. My comments did not reflect the driver in this story at all. They were purely hypothetical. My initial impression is that in this case, it is most likely the result of an error on the part of the pedestrian (which I have previously stated).

I was merely responding to a disrepectful and insulting post directed at me by someone who seems incapable of interfacing with members of management in any other fashion.
I have been on that street countless times. I didn't really want to say it, but the vagrants/homeless/moochers/whatever you want to call them, think they own the streets. They get vile if you don't 'donate' to them.(The Post Standard did a study and found 95% of the vagrants are felonious criminals.)

I understand management's desire to protect the brand, but having been in similar situations/close calls, I can imagine what happened.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Management's first response should be to protect THEIR driver,who is the best trained in the industry and has served UPS well for over 20 years!!!