Death of a family member.

SFBayUPSer

Hey guys im going to keep this one short.

A very close (direct) loved one is back east on life support and the choice has been made to take her off.

I want to know what the chances are UPS is going to let me take 5 days off to be present, and attend the funeral. We would leave this Saturday (my day off) and would return next Monday. This week it falls on Thanksgiving so we have a 3 day weekend.

Whatever or however I need to do, I can.

Keeping in mind this is my 3rd week and im on probation.

evilleace

If they were human and had a heart they would let you off, but we all know it doesn't work this way. You just need to ask as soon as possible and see what they say. If volume is down in your center and they are laying people off they might just let you off instead of laying someone else off for that time. But ask quickly the longer you wait the less chance you have of getting off.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
if you had your time in, it would be a slightly different matter.

evil had the best advice, ask early to have the best chance possible.

its a hard situation. been there myself a couple of times. one i was able to go to, the other not.

hard enough to go through a time like this, and have to wonder if you will have a job to come back to if you do go.

d

brownIEman

First off, I am very sorry for your loss, and I wish you and your family the best in your time of grief.

As to your question, you are in a tough spot due to being pre seniority. My advice is to approach your management in the same straight forward honest tone you used with this post. Be completely open and honest with them. They are human beings, I would guess something can be worked out. I know it was for me when I had a prior commitment during my pre-seniority days long ago.

Unfortunately, much of it will depend on the relationship you have managed to build with your immediate management. Even more unfortunately, much may also depend on the actions of those who have come before you in that opperation, over which you of course have no control. If management there has been burned in the past by people giving bogus stories to get out of working, they may be less likely to be understanding. Saddly, yes, sometimes people make up stories like this to get out of work. I know of a driver who regularly claims illness on the part of a parent when he comes in and has a heavy planned day or a finds he is scheduled to have a management rider. I was also involved with an hourly who called in due to the death of his child, only to meet his ex-wife later who was related to a goof friend of mine, and was told that the child was alive and well without so much as a cold. Monstrous, but it happens.

Even in just 3 weeks, hopefully your management team will have an idea of your sincerity and will be willing to work with you in this difficult time. Good luck!

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My center manager is family oriented, so he wouldn't have a problem with anyone of us leaving on this sort of personal business. Talk to yours, let him know what the deal is and he /she shouldn't have a problem.

Sorry to hear your news, prayers are with all involved. My advice to you is, next time, give MGMT a heads up of any issues of this nature so that they can prepare for any eventuality. They would also want to send flowers to anyone in the hospital.

This, and what was so eloquently written above.

Ask as recommended above but also offer up as much info as possible before hand and bring a funeral home notice,etc,back with you. In your situation of seniority this will give more credibility,sorry as bad as that sounds. They are correct above in how some use this to get time off dishonestly.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All of the advice given above is sound but one point was not brought up. If you are able to go I assume you will be flying--make sure to let the airlines know your situation and they may let you purchase your flights using their bereavement fare, which is almost their lowest fare (the lowest is for military personnel on orders). They may ask for proof but normally will work with you. My thoughts and prayers are also with you and yours.

SFBayUPSer

Thanks for all the advice. I talked with the FT sup today and advised I could take the time I needed off. He was very helpful and assured me everything would be okay. I offered the proof that I was doing what I said I would be doing.

Thanks for all the info guys, it sucks when this sort of thing happens, im not looking forward to it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Whatever or however I need to do, I can.

Keeping in mind this is my 3rd week and im on probation.

Are you a seniority part-time employee who is trying to go full time into driving?

If so, you are entitled to funeral pay.

We had a similar situation happen here a few years back, a pre-seniority driver had a death in the family and had to be gone for almost 2 weeks. He came back, continued his preseniority period, and ultimately gained seniority.

If you already have 3 weeks in and are able to do the job, management is not going to want to spend the time and money having to start over on training someone else. It will make more sense for them to keep you on, both from a financial and humanitarian standpoint.

Condolences for your loss. Go take care of biz and do what you need to do for you and your family.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
sf

a few years back, my father in law came to live with us. for me it was a great treat, as he spend many countless hours teaching me things from hunting to auto repair. many of the things my own father did not know about.

so we had a father son relationship that was very strong.

after several weeks, he passed out. took him to the er. the doc said that the reason for his passing out was that his bowels had died. it seems that even though he had been on very high doses of steroids his whole life, when he went to rehab right after his stroke (right before he came to us) they had stopped his steroid medication.

when you stop taking steroids cold turkey, it does all sorts of nasty things.

end result was that we (my wife and i) had to give the permission to increase the morphine to the level that it put him under. that was the hardest day in my life, knowing that what we were doing was going to kill him, but that there was nothing they could do to keep him alive, he was beginning to die from the inside out. a very painfull, agonizing death.

so, even though i dont know your specific circumstances, i will tell you this. prayer helps. a strong base in your belief in God does as well.

the best i can do is keep you in my prayers and thoughts!

d

squirlygirly

Just curious, where in the SF Bay do you work?...just in case I'm in need of a transfer from where I'm at? Concord, perhaps?

The "witch" we have @ our center, is just that:nono2:

SFBayUPSer

Thanks again everyone.

I work in the Richmond Hub, properly called Northbay.

I am a part time, pre seniority package handler.

To answer the questions.