death of relative during vacation

over9five

Staff member
Also sorry for your loss.

HERE (it could be different according to your supplement) the "friend/T employee shall be guaranteed 2 days off to be taken between the day of death and 2 working days after the funeral". Article 29

retired2000

sorry for your lose but, i think if you are on vacation or even over a weekend if someone dies you only get the days that you really need off.

I am sorry for your lose and hope that you and your's have the strength to cope.
The funeral leave isn't designed to reward you for losing a loved one. It is designed to allow you to attend services (with travel time if needed) without lose of pay. If it happens during your vacation, you had no lose of pay.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Keeping what Trp posted in mind, as he is right, I would think that your center manager would work with you in this situation to give you a day or two off if need be.

Keeping what Trp posted in mind, as he is right, I would think that your center manager would work with you in this situation to give you a day or two off if need be.
I agree with that UpState, depending on the relationship to the deceased. Some losses would require a little more morning time as well as some time for business matters that relate to the situation.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It happened in my center. No pay if the death occurs during vaca, you are already getting paid. Im sure they will work with you to give time off if needed, to do things that need done. But no pay. I will keep you in my prayers and so sorry to you and yours for your loss.

tiegirl

tiegirl
First of all, so sorry to hear of the loss of a loved one. No matter how old or young, it is so hard to all of a sudden not to have that person in your life.

If you had a family member to die during vacation and you notified your supervisor, a resonable person would think, ok vacation has ended, bereavement has started. I thought bereavement pay was for 3 days. So if vacation was on Monday and you planned to be on vacation all week and the death happened on Tuesday. That would be one vacation day for Monday. Tuesday, Wednesay and Thrusday would be bereavement days then Friday would be a vacation day. So when you returned to work you would have 3 days of vacation left that you should be able to take without a hassle. How could your management team be so cold hearted to say any different. It is like so what, someone in your family died, too bad you had already decided to be on vacation that week therefore you are not entitiled to any bereavement pay. I do not think that since you were on vacation anyway has anything to do with bereavement pay.

I would talk to your HR department or find another way like ugh I am sick but I am going to the beach to get those 3 vacation days due to me.

You work for a total jerk.

QUOTE=thahosk;517999]WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER DIES DURING YOUR VACATION, ARE YOU STILL ENTITLED TO 4 DAYS PAY?:sad-little::sad-little:[/QUOTE]

First of all, so sorry to hear of the loss of a loved one. No matter how old or young, it is so hard to all of a sudden not to have that person in your life.

If you had a family member to die during vacation and you notified your supervisor, a resonable person would think, ok vacation has ended, bereavement has started. I thought bereavement pay was for 3 days. So if vacation was on Monday and you planned to be on vacation all week and the death happened on Tuesday. That would be one vacation day for Monday. Tuesday, Wednesay and Thrusday would be bereavement days then Friday would be a vacation day. So when you returned to work you would have 3 days of vacation left that you should be able to take without a hassle. How could your management team be so cold hearted to say any different. It is like so what, someone in your family died, too bad you had already decided to be on vacation that week therefore you are not entitiled to any bereavement pay. I do not think that since you were on vacation anyway has anything to do with bereavement pay.

I would talk to your HR department or find another way like ugh I am sick but I am going to the beach to get those 3 vacation days due to me.

QUOTE=thahosk;517999]WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER DIES DURING YOUR VACATION, ARE YOU STILL ENTITLED TO 4 DAYS PAY?:sad-little::sad-little:
[/QUOTE]
It's not bereavement pay, it's funeral leave....not the same thing at all. I understand that you are not a bargaining unit employee, but most of us are. The contract spells out just how the funeral leave is handled, although in some areas if differs due to supplemental language. As the funeral leave, our vacations are taken as the contracts read. I don't know of any of our contracts allow for splitting up vacation days over more than a week at a time. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.
The OP's boss may well be a total jerk, but not because they won't do what you have suggested.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How did this segway to the OP's boss being a total jerk? The boss was never mentioned in the OP--the OP was simply asking what the contract stated if you have a death in the family while you are on vacation. For all we know, the center manager will take care of the OP by granting him bereavement leave starting Monday.

On a somewhat related note, my father passed shortly before Peak last year. He was cremated and the family (my brother and I) decided that there would be no services and that we would have our own private moment in the spring, when we plan on spreading his ashes at a place that he loved to spend his spare time. Anyway, my on-car, center manager and I sat down and decided that I would take my bereavement leave the 1st 3 workdays after Peak. This did not leave them short-handed at Peak and gave me the time that I needed. Now, if we had decided that we were going to have a service, I would have taken my bereavement leave immediately but there really was no reason to.

Sit down with your mgt team Monday morning and I am sorry for your loss.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

QUOTE=thahosk;517999]WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER DIES DURING YOUR VACATION, ARE YOU STILL ENTITLED TO 4 DAYS PAY?:sad-little::sad-little:
[/QUOTE]
While I may agree and think it would be the proper thing to do, its not about correct, its about, bereavement pay is meant to allow you time off to grieve, and get paid. Since you are already off, and getting paid, you do not get the benefit. It would totally suck to lose someone while on vaca or not, and you are not going to recover your vacation feelings even if extended. Thats just how it happened here, if its wrong then we will find out here.

tiegirl

tiegirl
That is probably very correct of how you say "you are not a bargaining unit employee". With that being said that does mean that many decisions concerning time off, what is good and what is bad, etc is a personal determination of the particular supervisor. So knowing that, that is the reason I said what I said. It is not consistent where I work. One supervisor makes a decision affecting the team that works for him and another supervisor makes a total differnet decision that affects the team that works for them. We all work in the same building for the same company but have to go by different rules set forth by our supervisors. You are fortunate that this issue of bereavement pay or funeral leave is already determined for you. As well as any other time off issue. There are probably many other issue that are already predetermined that you do not have to wonder what is going to happen because your supervisor is going to make a decision concerning the issue. The outcome will be dependent upon, 'where are his current numbers' and does he like you or not. I would much rather work under predetermined terms of employee than the mood of my supervisor for that particular day.

It's not bereavement pay, it's funeral leave....not the same thing at all. I understand that you are not a bargaining unit employee, but most of us are. The contract spells out just how the funeral leave is handled, although in some areas if differs due to supplemental language. As the funeral leave, our vacations are taken as the contracts read. I don't know of any of our contracts allow for splitting up vacation days over more than a week at a time. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.
The OP's boss may well be a total jerk, but not because they won't do what you have suggested.[/QUOTE]

City Driver

in my OPINION, bereavement should start and vacation end the day after the death of the family member

but honestly im pretty sure they will just say that since u are on vacation u are being paid time off and dont need to take bereavement so u will lose your vacation days

Big Babooba

I am sorry about your loss. This very thing happened to me in April of 1980. I came home from work on a Friday night to find my father dead. I was going to fly to California the next day. Needless to say, I didn't go. I didn't receive funeral pay and I didn't ask for it. I did ask for an extra week off without pay so I could settle his affairs which the division manager granted.