Death threats sent to Wisconsin lawmakers

bbsam

Staff member
I wasn't doubting your word, I was just reporting what I had done and didn't get the same results. Maybe I should use AP in all my searches from now on.

Not if for some odd reason AP (Associated Press) doesn't constitute MSM. Are you sure about that?

moreluck

golden ticket member
AP, UPI and Reuters have been the big ones where everybody gets the news.

AP
As of 2005[update], the news collected by the AP is published and republished by more than 1,700 newspapers, in addition to more than 5,000 television and radio broadcasters. The photograph library of the AP consists of over 10 million images. The Associated Press operates 243 news bureaus, and it serves at least 120 countries, with an international staff located all over the world.

U.P.I.
United Press International (UPI) is a news agency that has roots dating back to 1907, and that now consists of a headquarters office in Washington D.C. in the United States, office locations in five other countries, and a website. The company also uses the services of freelance journalists in several of the world's major cities.
UPI was once mainstay in the newswire business along with the Associated Press (AP) and Reuters; at its peak, it had more than 6,000 media subscribers, 2,000 full time employees, and 200 news bureaus in 92 countries.The company began to decline as afternoon newspapers, its chief client category, began to fail with the rising popularity of television news. Its decline accelerated after the 1982 sale of UPI by the founding Scripps family, culminating in two bankruptcies.

.... Reuters Group Limited (informally Reuters, pronounced /ˈrɔɪtərz/) is a global news agency[1] headquartered in London, United Kingdom owned by Thomson Reuters. Until its acquisition by The Thomson Corporation in 2008, the Reuters news agency formed part of an independent company, Reuters Group PLC, which was also a provider of financial market data, with news reporting comprising less than 10% of the company's income.[2] All of Thomson Reuters' financial market data activities have now been combined into a single Markets Division, of which the Reuters news agency forms a part.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
So do you watch TV news? Do you not read what is posted here? I said I did a search and posted the outcome of said search, I'm pretty sure most of the results were from the printed media. What I find sad...very very sad is that you feel the need to stoop to the same level of a couple of your cronies on here, trying to demean people. I have heard it from your kind many times i.e., The people who watch TV instead of reading books are illiterate morons with short attention span. I know that wasn't what you said, but it IS what you were implying.
Generally when someone mentions the Main Stream Media they are indeed referring to TV news.
I will admit I do not read the local newspaper here, if it doesn't happen in this town or deal with college sports it won't be in our paper. It's a waste of my time.

Do you have ESP? You don't know what he was implying, you only know what you thought of what was said. Same thing when you accused me of purposefully trying to demean moreluck. I did not. That was never my intention and I apologized to her publicly just in case she took it that way and also sent her a p.m.

We are all at the mercy of the media, if we chose to be so. Believe what you will and don't assume too much about what someone else believes based on your experience rather than theirs.

bbsam

Staff member
So do you watch TV news? Do you not read what is posted here? I said I did a search and posted the outcome of said search, I'm pretty sure most of the results were from the printed media. What I find sad...very very sad is that you feel the need to stoop to the same level of a couple of your cronies on here, trying to demean people. I have heard it from your kind many times i.e., The people who watch TV instead of reading books are illiterate morons with short attention span. I know that wasn't what you said, but it IS what you were implying.
Generally when someone mentions the Main Stream Media they are indeed referring to TV news.
I will admit I do not read the local newspaper here, if it doesn't happen in this town or deal with college sports it won't be in our paper. It's a waste of my time.

What I am asking is when people hear something from Newsbusters or other non-MSM outlets, is it taken as gospel truth? Are blogs and web-sites more read than more main-stream news publications? If so, how is that fair? Who checks the news checkers?

What I am asking is when people hear something from Newsbusters or other non-MSM outlets, is it taken as gospel truth? Are blogs and web-sites more read than more main-stream news publications? If so, how is that fair? Who checks the news checkers?

I can't speak for anyone but myself. I tend to have a bit of a doubt regardless of who is doing the so called reporting. I'm not sure there is a news outlet that isn't biased one way or the other.Just tell the truth of what happened and leave the opinions off, that is what I want to see/hear for news reports. It seems that all the online "news" sources, i.e. Newsbusters are biased. Most bloggers are even worse.

moreluck

golden ticket member
If I hear on the news that a tornado is headed directly to Summit county and I'm in Summit County at the time, I'll be heading to the cellar with my battery operated radio. I don't stop to ask if that announcement was on the MSM station ........

Do you have ESP? You don't know what he was implying, you only know what you thought of what was said. Same thing when you accused me of purposefully trying to demean moreluck. I did not. That was never my intention and I apologized to her publicly just in case she took it that way and also sent her a p.m.

We are all at the mercy of the media, if we chose to be so. Believe what you will and don't assume too much about what someone else believes based on your experience rather than theirs.
I did have ESP when I was kid, but a few trips to the doctor and it was cleared right up.
The words and phrases used were demeaning to anyone who they were applied to, may not have been the way they were intended, that doesn't change the meaning. It was very nice of you to apologize to Moreluck.
Whether we chose to or not we are at the mercy of the media, they are the ones that chooses what we hear and read. That is not to say that we have to take everything that the media tells us and we should do some research to find alternative information. Unfortunately people have a tendency to believe the sources that tell them what they want to hear, and that;s not just any one side of the political isle.

If I hear on the news that a tornado is headed directly to Summit county and I'm in Summit County at the time, I'll be heading to the cellar with my battery operated radio. I don't stop to ask if that announcement was on the MSM station ........
That kind of news is better if NOT from MSM.. By the time MSM gets the news of the tornado, decide if it's Bush's or 0bama's fault and what Billery is going to tell the rest of the world.....you'd be gone, history....poof.

moreluck

golden ticket member
One thing I've noticed about media.....I'll hear a news item on Fox and will go to CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC and MSNBC.......they aren't covering it. Just so happens it's derogatory towards Obama.

Then I'll hear a story about Obama, something good......that story will be on all the aforementioned networks. When that happens many times over, I conclude that Fox gives both sides good or bad.....kind of fair wouldn't you say?

One thing I've noticed about media.....I'll hear a news item on Fox and will go to CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC and MSNBC.......they aren't covering it. Just so happens it's derogatory towards Obama.

Then I'll hear a story about Obama, something good......that story will be on all the aforementioned networks. When that happens many times over, I conclude that Fox gives both sides good or bad.....kind of fair wouldn't you say?
One would think so, but I have no doubt that Fox is slanted to the right overall. I have seen bad reports on CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC or MSNBC that was about Sarah Palin, switch to Fox and hear nothing about the same incident, speech, rally...whatever. I have to admit that lately some of the "C" networks haven't been quite the 0bama cheerleaders they were for a while. Either the honeymoon is over or they are trying to lure some of the more conservative viewers back to their programs. TV News is still a business.

bbsam

Staff member
I don't think I was demeaning at all. More amazed that the claim that the MSM didn't run a story about death threat against Wisconsin senators seemed to be gulped down with abandon by some people here and not at all verified by a simple search process. Swallowed it hook line and sinker because of a desire to think the worst about the MSM. You tell me what that is. Is it stupid? Closed minded? Just red meat to add to a conservative fairy tale? I don't know. Amazing.

I don't think I was demeaning at all. More amazed that the claim that the MSM didn't run a story about death threat against Wisconsin senators seemed to be gulped down with abandon by some people here and not at all verified by a simple search process. Swallowed it hook line and sinker because of a desire to think the worst about the MSM. You tell me what that is. Is it stupid? Closed minded? Just red meat to add to a conservative fairy tale? I don't know. Amazing.
Why are you still harping at me about this? I never said MSM didn't run the story. You're free to continue to eat your liberal veggies all you want. Twisting what was said and then making outrageous remarks is pretty much the same thing you are applying to conservatives. Now THAT is amazing.

bbsam

Staff member
Boston Herald and Greenbay Press Gazette are main stream media? I better check with my news paper to see why they didn't pick it up from one of those meccas of information.

Just checked again, still no mention in MSM, including Fox. Didn't see the ones from BH or GPG either.

oh?