Deaths at UPS

drewed

Shankman
Trailers used on rail.
This also brings up the importance of putting over 70s/iregs and hazmat on the ground either one of those smashing onto you anywhere is no kinds of good

some1else

Banned
No, its not an exaggeration. I remember hearing about the last one at Salt Lake. It was an electrocution incident. UPS re-staged the scene to look like a suicide. The last I heard some members of management had been indicted. I think the electrocution was about 3, 4 years ago? It was on BrownCafe when it happened.

i wish i could say i didnt believe that, but i could see them being that stupid. killing yourself on a circuit breaker? come on. do you have a link to the story?

tritese

tritese
I am a shifter at the jax hub, i have been out there for 13 years and there has NOT been any deaths in our hub from a shifter. they had two instances where people put their heads between the trailer and the wall and when the shifter was raising the trailer their heads were crushed but NOT to the point of death. one person that got his head crushed was another shifter and then the other was a female part time sup. they both were alive and even working the same week. sup has quit but shifter is a combo guy and still working.

drewed

Shankman
I'm not trying to attack UPS, if i was, i wouldn't do it here.

I was reading into it, and I found a site that says UPS pays well over $1,000,000 a DAY for workers comp. Does anyone know if that's true?

Also, since the new contract our turnover rate has gone way up to like 130% was the last i heard. Is this happening everywhere?
Its not happening here, actually since the new contract my turnover rate has dropped considerably lol
Umm as for the comp I wouldnt doubt it we're our building is about 400 people and we pay out about 50k a month, its just not wage, its medical bils and insurance adjustments and depending if it was an OSHA/FAA/DOT thing we could be fined for it.

evilleace

The over 70's and the ireg's are on top alot in trailers that I see but the most dangerous thing I have seen on top was a bundle of sledgehammers that weighed 95 lbs.

Just this week, big drill on safety.. i think its because our mangement was behind on safety training.. particularly on "yard work" safety procedures...
he mentioned that a full time supervisor in NY got crushed to death while picking fallen packages, and he was on a cell phone.
i wonder how true it is? that accident happened this yr. So our mangement is going to be hard on using cell phones.. even to the point where a pt worker is not going to be allowed to bring in cell phones.. which is great because i see many crash derby car washers on cell phones zooming by...
i tried to google if that supervisor did infact crushed to death.. but i was unable to find any info.. but i guess it could be true as they dont make that fact too public.. which is understandable.
Its a bee hive of activity in the UPS Hubs... just gotta always be on your toes.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Just this week, big drill on safety.. i think its because our mangement was behind on safety training.. particularly on "yard work" safety procedures...
he mentioned that a full time supervisor in NY got crushed to death while picking fallen packages, and he was on a cell phone.
i wonder how true it is? that accident happened this yr. So our mangement is going to be hard on using cell phones.. even to the point where a pt worker is not going to be allowed to bring in cell phones.. which is great because i see many crash derby car washers on cell phones zooming by...
i tried to google if that supervisor did infact crushed to death.. but i was unable to find any info.. but i guess it could be true as they dont make that fact too public.. which is understandable.
Its a bee hive of activity in the UPS Hubs... just gotta always be on your toes.

I think they use the same story from 10 years ago as a safety tool.