Debate Ups vs other offer

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by John12345, Oct 6, 2016.

Which offer would you take?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2016.
  1. Ups

4 vote(s)
  2. Other offer

15 vote(s)
  1. John12345

John12345 New Member

Hi, I am a female age 29. I am needing some advice on what to expect as a package handler. I have been out of work for nearly 2 years and am not in shape. I'm kinda fearing the worst that I wont be able to handle it but I have thrown freight from a retail store for 5 years preivuosly. What is it like at night? Also I have another job offer, seems much easier at a retail but less pay. Ups would be about 30 mins from my home, vs my other job offer is literally 5 mins away. Does night shift generally work 7:45-2am Sun and m-t 10-4am? Recruiter said these are peak months and to expect to work a lot. I'm guaranteed Supposibly 40 hours at this other job but it wouldn't amount to UPS right now with $75 extra weekly for showing up at work on time. Gas doesn't even make a difference since I drive a car that gets roughly 28 miles a gallon. Oh and my other job offer would be 7am-2:30pm. What job would you take? I'm actually already hired at both but I'm not set to start till next week. Sorry it's very long but I wanted to make this detailed as possible. Please don't think I'm just some dumb girl.
  2. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

Good post! You touched on a lot of things that have not been discussed before. I would take the other job though.
  3. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

Take the other job, John.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Bastiatian

Bastiatian Active Member

Unless you really need the insurance or tuition reimbursement (if your location offers it; not all do), I'd take the other job. Those are the only things keeping me here at this point.

On the other hand, if you've been trying to get into management in retail, becoming a PT Supervisor at UPS might help. It's a dead end job here, no matter what anyone else promises you, but the experience will make your resume look better.

Your life, your choice.
  5. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Your a female named you doin?
  6. fres431

fres431 Active Member

In today's society ya never know indecesion
  7. John12345

John12345 New Member

Very good!
  8. dudebro

dudebro Active Member

Take both, live in your car for 10 years, sock away 90% of your income, then retire and move to Tijuana and laugh at all of us.
  9. StoptheAct1212

StoptheAct1212 Active Member

Ups is going to be a busy physical job, every day.. not easy for some... a great company. But not for everyone.
  10. UrFellowUpser

UrFellowUpser Member

Not a easy job at all sometimes i think is it worth it. I was 288 when i started this past march and now im down to 235. That should give you an idea how physical it is
  11. hallerin

hallerin Member

Work for brown as a street hire during peak.
  12. UPS Preloader

UPS Preloader Active Member

UPS will most likely be temporary and you'll be let go after the holidays. Is the other job permanent? If so, definitely take the other job.
  13. upsgrunt

upsgrunt Well-Known Member

Call me old fashioned, but how does a person eat, pay bills, or do anything without working for 2 years?
  14. burrheadd

burrheadd Superstar

Mommy and Daddy
  15. Child support?
  16. matty_lawn

matty_lawn Active Member

You've never robbed a bank?
  17. snarts

snarts Member

Sounds to me you won't be able to pull your own weight and be a burden on your co-workers. Take the other job.
  18. rod

rod retired and happy

We need a picture to make our final decision.
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

Sure, a picture of a girl named John....
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  20. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

Well that's good, two posts and they are already out.