Dec 18th-20th rain/snow/ice disruption

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Lazy? Guess you have to be a rural driver to realize private roads don't get county maintenance. And frankly, if UPS did a better job of standing behind drivers when it comes to bad roads, we'd do a better job of ECing them. But when they just put them back on the truck day after day, sooner or later we'll bend rules to get rid of it. I'd rather get fired for leaving one at the mailbox than have the truck slide over a bank and tumble down a hill, just so I can't be called "lazy."
Since when are those the only two options? I would just keep bringing it back to the building until it was safe to deliver.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Most mailmen won't care but if you use the mailbox you always run the risk of some a-hole complaining about it. Best to not risk it.

We don't put anything in the box, we hang it from the outside, as per management. Anything we think needs a signature gets a note taped to the box. We leave it the next day if signed.

By the way, a lot of these driveways are long roads.

Packmule

Isn't it illegal for a non postal worker to place anything inside of a mail box?
It is. But shouldn't it also be illegal for UPS to deliver all those pkgs to the Post Office?
I don't care. I'll bag it and set it on the ground by the mailbox. Just give me a sensible option that is first day efficient and makes customers more responsible for their choices in where they live and the hazards it creates.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Isn't it illegal for a non postal worker to place anything inside of a mail box?
Sort of. A law called the “mailbox restriction” was passed in 1934 that “prohibits anyone from placing mailable matter without postage into any mailbox.” Technically a UPS parcel has been paid for, but not US postage, but then you have to look at surepost packages delivered by the post office. They too technically do not have postage on them as even with a USPS reference number/bar code no one has paid US postage. We just compensate them for delivering them.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
It is. But shouldn't it also be illegal for UPS to deliver all those pkgs to the Post Office?
I don't care. I'll bag it and set it on the ground by the mailbox. Just give me a sensible option that is first day efficient and makes customers more responsible for their choices in where they live and the hazards it creates.
Okay. I'll be back in June.

I have many stops like this on the route I've been covering for peak. Most consignees are ok with leaving at mailbox or another landmark along the driveway.

Friday, a customer called & complained, saying I left at mailbox (which I didn't). I left at light pole 50 yards up there 1/2 mile driveway. I was instructed to deliver FD only from now on at this stop.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I just make sure the flag isn't up with out going mail. To avoid any confusion. I also don't get to these areas till they are delivering or they have just gone thru