deducted bathroom breaks?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Do what I did.. It will cost him some $$ I had to get an attorney because I was the only driver/employee that was told I had to punch out to use the restroom. My union did nothing.. So I did punch out every single time I had to use the restroom.. I then went to see an Attorney, and she dealt with Corporate (she knew some of UPS' lawyers) and shortly there after my weasel of a sup came to me and said I no longer had to do it..If he does not have the $$ tell him/her to document everything, take his pay sheets and all documentation (get it on a recorder if possible) the sup telling him he has to punch out to use the restroom.. Then go to your local EEOC office and file a discrimination charge against UPS.. If some coworkers would have the back bone to go with him to verify this that would be a tremendous help..But before going to the EEOC, he needs to file a grievance with the local union. Once that is filed, send him down there...The EEOC is free, the Attorney in the south was 5K to take care of this.. But it is tax deductible !!

It happened to you. Imagine that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Our center manager has been caught red handed changing time cards over and over. Still here.

I don't see, how that is even possible. Editing time cards leaves a paper trail.

No management person can do it... for long.

Contact your Local and UPS security. Problem solved.

​-Bug-

bluehdmc

Except you cannot legally recorder anyone without prior consent/knowledge.

Depends on where you are, in NJ as long as 1 person present is aware of the recording it's legal. They can videotape you though. Other states it may be different.

newarkster

Except you cannot legally recorder anyone without prior consent/knowledge.

I believe you only need 1 persons consent, and if you are involved in the conversation then you can record it.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I think I've posted this story before, but since it relates to this thread, I'll say it again.

About 15 years ago, a fellow driver had his colon removed, so he had to use a colostomy bag throughout the day. He was also a over-allowed driver. So they always were after him. But when they found out about him taking breaks to go empty his bag, they forced him to write down every time he did this so it could be deducted from his pay. If I remember right, he did this for an entire summer before he hired an top notch lawyer and sued UPS under the Americans with Disability Act.

Are you sitting down? His case never made the inside of a court before UPS settled for a rumored mid-six figure settlement. And he never again was bothered about his breaks.

Bottom line? Talk to a lawyer. Maybe you can get these clowns fired with prejudice.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
And people wonder why we are all sunshine and lollipops when it comes to our company. Any body not associated with Ups would look at these posts about not being allowed to use the rest room would think we are flipping nuts but we know better. They want to control all aspects of our day. Sure am glad I'm down to single digits.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Got it, out in CA the person recording must be told they are being recorded.

State laws regarding recording don't really matter at UPS as recording on/within company property is against company policy and they can try to fire you for it. Recording your center manager/Sort Manager is a terrible idea; just have a steward back you up as a witness (you should never be in the office without one as a rank-and-file hourly) if you're in the office with them and then dare them to write you up for pissing. File a grievance under Article 17 and Art. 37, Sec. 1. If they dock your pay, ask that the supervisor be reprimanded as part of your remedy and also ask for the time docked.