del notices

myback

have you noticed the new del notices no longer have a phone number printed on them just the web site. i guess the cust will now have to email their questions.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
I noticed this last week. It's printed on the back in the middle of the instructions that the customers never read.

Dustyroads

I got in the way back machine and recalled when the old delivery notices were on white cardstock with brown ink, with the perforated signature card on the end. Kids, this was back before they invented the sticky note. Anyway, way back then, at our center, we stamped our local phone number on all of the notices. That way, if the customer wanted to actually contact someone that was within reach of their package that we had been unable to deliver, they could call us. Just in passing, those old delivery notices were blank on the back and you could draw a really good map on them.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I got in the way back machine and recalled when the old delivery notices were on white cardstock with brown ink, with the perforated signature card on the end. Kids, this was back before they invented the sticky note. Anyway, way back then, at our center, we stamped our local phone number on all of the notices. That way, if the customer wanted to actually contact someone that was within reach of their package that we had been unable to deliver, they could call us. Just in passing, those old delivery notices were blank on the back and you could draw a really good map on them.

Jeez,
How old are you?
I remember those too. That's vintage 70's.

Hoax 54 yrs 10 months 2 days

Dustyroads

Cover drivers on rural areas would get other drivers to draw maps to remote deliveries on the back of these notes. They were really handy, you could hold one in your right hand against the steering wheel, when you were driving. :) Anyway, a cover driver in our area had left a notice at a rural deliver that wasn't home. (Hey, kids, this was back when we had to get signatures for every stop). Anyway, the customer gets home and sees the note, doesn't read it carefully, and turns it over and here's a detailed map. And...he knows right where the map leads, marked with a big X. Thinking it's a map to where his package is, he gets in the car and follows the map, a few miles to another house, and goes to the door and asks the guy, do you have my package. And, the guy at the house says, no, but I got a package from UPS today. Luckily, that phone number was stamped in red ink on the bottom, and it didn't take long to straighten the misunderstanding out.

Hoax, I'll be 54 this fall.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Cover drivers on rural areas would get other drivers to draw maps to remote deliveries on the back of these notes. They were really handy, you could hold one in your right hand against the steering wheel, when you were driving. :) Anyway, a cover driver in our area had left a notice at a rural deliver that wasn't home. (Hey, kids, this was back when we had to get signatures for every stop). Anyway, the customer gets home and sees the note, doesn't read it carefully, and turns it over and here's a detailed map. And...he knows right where the map leads, marked with a big X. Thinking it's a map to where his package is, he gets in the car and follows the map, a few miles to another house, and goes to the door and asks the guy, do you have my package. And, the guy at the house says, no, but I got a package from UPS today. Luckily, that phone number was stamped in red ink on the bottom, and it didn't take long to straighten the misunderstanding out.

Hoax, I'll be 54 this fall.

58 now and 31 years driving this fall. I remember those notices. A driver whose route I covered had a bunch of signed stubs in the back of his card file (remember those ?). Almost as good as DR.

Anyhow, I write the local number on every notice I leave. Most people will call in and arrange to come to the center or give an alternate address. Service made!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Anyhow, I write the local number on every notice I leave. Most people will call in and arrange to come to the center or give an alternate address. Service made!

That's always been a good idea but never tell your center team or the OMS clerks that you left their number. I have seen a couple blowups where customers would call the center to track a package instead of going online. I wouldn't give it out to everyone, JMO.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That's always been a good idea but never tell your center team or the OMS clerks that you left their number. I have seen a couple blowups where customers would call the center to track a package instead of going online. I wouldn't give it out to everyone, JMO.

Been there, done that. I just explain that I am trying to help the consignee (how's that for being "brown") get their parcels. Also, having been around so long, I really don't care.:happy-very:

spif91

Don't these bring back fond memories....Have some still in my locker from the 80's. I like old memories or I just don't clean my locker very often.........Best scratch pad for direction UPS ever came up with!!!!!!!!!!!!
12.jpg

Dustyroads

Oh, man spif91, THOSE ARE THE REAL DEAL. In fact those are the old style old style. They were replaced with printing that went horizontally along the notice, same cardstock and ink.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Don't these bring back fond memories....Have some still in my locker from the 80's. I like old memories or I just don't clean my locker very often.........Best scratch pad for direction UPS ever came up with!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, man spif91, THOSE ARE THE REAL DEAL. In fact those are the old style old style. They were replaced with printing that went horizontally along the notice, same cardstock and ink.

I thought those were what we were talking about.
Thanks for the pix ... I've saved that in my UPS stuff.

rod

Retired 22 years

The good old UPS shield---- Thats waaaaaaaay back when UPS was a service company.

Cementups

Box Monkey
have you noticed the new del notices no longer have a phone number printed on them just the web site. i guess the cust will now have to email their questions.

having just the website on there is such a great idea, especially since you are waiting for you new computer to be delivered so that you can access the internet.:rolleyes: good thinking.

^sarcasm, btw.

wornoutupser

58 now and 31 years driving this fall. I remember those notices. A driver whose route I covered had a bunch of signed stubs in the back of his card file (remember those ?). Almost as good as DR.

Are you kiding? My center has an OMS that goes ballistic if you do that. " I dont have the time to talk to customers- have them call the 1-800 line"