Delay pay? Staggered Start Times

menotyou

bella amicizia
In my district, Article 53 pg. 179 Sect. 2 Call-in Time states "this provision cannot be applied to selective employees and pertains to specific classifications referenced in their entirety."

If there are staggered starts anywhere here, the contract is being violated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my district, Article 53 pg. 179 Sect. 2 Call-in Time states "this provision cannot be applied to selective employees and pertains to specific classifications referenced in their entirety."

If there are staggered starts anywhere here, the contract is being violated.

Nice try--now why don't you go back and read the second sentence of that section. Here, I will save you the trouble:

All employees shall have a set reporting time for duty.

The section you are referencing refers to employees who are called in to work, not employees who are already scheduled to work. Your quote refers to changes in start times from the set reporting time for duty and you are right in that it cannot applied to certain individuals but must be applied to classifications of employees. This is why the PDS/preload sup posts the start time(s) by classification for the week by Friday for the following week. There is nothing in this section which refers to staggered start times which are a common practice in most hubs/centers. The preload cannot start until the unloaders are set up and have begun their work so what sense would it make to pay them for that time?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Nice try--now why don't you go back and read the second sentence of that section. Here, I will save you the trouble:

All employees shall have a set reporting time for duty.

The section you are referencing and the quote you cherry picked refers to employees who are called in to work, not employees who are already scheduled to work. There is nothing in this section which refers to staggered start times which are a common practice in most hubs/centers.
I have used that in a meeting with our labor sup. There are no staggered starts at my center.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Here's the contract page.

971.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Call me stupid but aren't the "unloaders" one classification while the "preloaders" another? If they are not and are in fact the same classification then you have a valid point. All I know is that in my center the unloaders start and finish before the preloaders do.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I had this argument with Brian at a union meeting when Fred was still President. If they are different, then the sort should bid. If they won't allow bids, then it is one classification. They are all now paid the extra dollar from day one. It is one classification as far as the teacher in Syracuse is concerned. Brian follow's his lead unless proven wrong.

There is no staggered starts at my center. As I have repeatedly said, I had a meeting with you know who from Syracuse and this practice was eliminated. (At least at my center)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fair enough.

We had a meeting last Saturday to talk about Telematics and to discuss any contract proposals that we may have. This was a UPS only meeting followed by a general membership meeting. Brian was there and one of the topics discussed was the abuse of dead days. I suggested and the others agreed that one way to curb this abuse would to be raise the number of hours worked to get one year's pension credit. That number is currently 1,000. Brian reminded us that this is not a contract issue but is instead a union issue and he agreed with this and will bring this up at the next pension fund meeting. We did not decide on a particular number but the suggestions ranged from 1,500 to 1,800 hours worked. I will be curious to see if he follows up on his promise to bring this issue up at the next meeting.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I would be interested to see, also. If you wouldn't mind, I would appreciate an update. I have my own opinion in how it will go, but am curious to see what he will do.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Fair enough.

We had a meeting last Saturday to talk about Telematics and to discuss any contract proposals that we may have. This was a UPS only meeting followed by a general membership meeting. Brian was there and one of the topics discussed was the abuse of dead days. I suggested and the others agreed that one way to curb this abuse would to be raise the number of hours worked to get one year's pension credit. That number is currently 1,000. Brian reminded us that this is not a contract issue but is instead a union issue and he agreed with this and will bring this up at the next pension fund meeting. We did not decide on a particular number but the suggestions ranged from 1,500 to 1,800 hours worked. I will be curious to see if he follows up on his promise to bring this issue up at the next meeting.
By the way, that is a good suggestion. I was remiss in not adding that.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I had this argument with Brian at a union meeting when Fred was still President. If they are different, then the sort should bid. If they won't allow bids, then it is one classification. They are all now paid the extra dollar from day one. It is one classification as far as the teacher in Syracuse is concerned. Brian follow's his lead unless proven wrong.

There is no staggered starts at my center. As I have repeatedly said, I had a meeting with you know who from Syracuse and this practice was eliminated. (At least at my center)

Understandable in a small center operation but not in a large hub.
It may take 10-15 minutes for an unloaded package to reach a trailer in the outbound area.

UPSGUY72

In the building I started working PT in everyone got the extra $1. You also got told where your where working it might be a different place each day.

In the building that I'm in now there are 130+ routes in two center (city / county) on a given day. On my side of the building there are 3 different start times 8:40, 8:45, and 8:50.

UPSGUY72

Fair enough.

In my area works like this.

Hours of Service in Calendar Year Months of Contributory Credit For Calendar Year
Less Than 3750
375 - 4492
450 - 5993
600 - 7494
750 - 8295
830 - 9996
1,000 - 1,1497
1,150 - 1,2998
1,300 - 1,4999
1,500 - 1,64910
1,650 - 1,79911
1,800 +12

menotyou

bella amicizia
Understandable in a small center operation but not in a large hub.
It may take 10-15 minutes for an unloaded package to reach a trailer in the outbound area.
I have no problem with different classifications. But, you can't have it both ways. That was the argument. No bids/staggered starts. Make up your mind. Do we have different levels? If so, we better start bidding jobs on PT. They said no. I said no staggered starts, then. We have no staggered starts.