Delivering air with sup for "space and visibility" ride along. What to expect?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by freelabor, Apr 21, 2014.

1. freelabor

freelabor Member

Went out alone and did my first and only Saturday this weekend. When I got back I was told that I'll be driving this week to do some air with a sup for "space and visibility". What should I expect? Thanks!!
  2. cosmo1

cosmo1 Just another internet hooligan.

Good times will be had by all.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Space and vis you will be quizzed on all the DOK questions and the sup will watch you drive and nitpick. Even if you do everything perfect he has to find something to complain about it. They used to just meet you on route and ride around with you a couple of hours to do it but now its all day. Its no big deal. Just one of those things sups have to do that keep them from doing more important things like fixing problems in the center. The worst part will be the sup will drive for a while to show you how its done, and most sups scared the crap out of me when they tried to drive.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

The best part is they usually pay for lunch.
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

They used to pay for lunch. I'm not sure they still do.
  6. freelabor

freelabor Member

Cool nothing to worry about then. Dok still hammered in my brain from finishing driver school a couple weeks back. Thanks guys!
  7. degill7994

degill7994 Active Member

Never had that happen.

Sent using BrownCafe App
  8. BrownTexas

BrownTexas Well-Known Member

They would prolly act like they forgot their wallet and ask you to pay for theirs. All while asking you DOK questions while you are on break. Lol.
  9. upschuck

Too bad for you, then.
  10. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Yeah right. I make more than they do. I usually buy their lunch.
  11. upschuck

Company dime, not theirs
  12. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The company has limited the use of the Amex card by on-cars.
  13. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

They have to find several safe driving errors and safe work methods as well. The better you are, the more diligently he will nitpick. It's all about the almighty quota. Also a thorough pre trip and post trip, don't forget the DVIR. Good luck!
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  14. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

We have several quota hires in my center.
  15. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

and make sure you use the handrail.
  16. ManInBrown

ManInBrown Well-Known Member

3 points of contact

Clear all intersections

Back only when necessary
  17. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

A really easy couple hours. Some in towns and depending on your centers area a couple away from town to see how you handle the package car in different situations. Yes they have to find things wrong with how you are doing your job. Part of the sups job. Don't take it personnel.
  18. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

I have had sups that "mailed it in" and others that were real "gung ho" on safety rides. One actually was in the truck for two stops then back in his car! That was fun! Somehow, all his paperwork was filled out too.
  19. upschuck

We had that happen, and when they got off the PC went home. They are no longer with the company.
  20. Mack Grant

Mack Grant Active Member

I had a ride a little over a year ago, and the thing he told me that stands out the most in my mind is "when's lunch"!