Delivering during lunch break?

bumped

An interruption is an interruption, if it's management or one of their customers - makes no difference. My lunch is MY lunch. A reasonable person won't bother you during your lunch anyhow. Anyone else can go pound sand till I'm done.
If you're afraid of saying no to people, park somewhere they can't find you.

I've never met a reasonable person during lunch at a restaurant. Everyone seems to want to talk to me during my lunch when it should be extremley obvious I just want to read my paper.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Why wouldn't you just pull the PAL and/or use Find BC to complete the delivery once the board "unlocks"?

I was thinking the same thing. Or at least take a picture of the barcode with my smartphone and then after lunch, scan the barcode on your smartphone. Yes this can be done as I have done it several times. More than once when my DIAD has gone down and I continue to deliver while I wait for them to bring me a new one.

Do you memorize your EDD every morning?

After I look thru EDD in the morning once or thrice I can, within 98%, tell you every stop I have for that day. Fact!

Would you really tell a customer to pound sand if they approached you during your break? Would you really make them stand there and wait for 10 minutes? Do you really feel that the contract language was intended to be interpreted in such a manner?

More than likely, I would not make them wait. I'm a nice guy and I would want someone to do the same for me. You only get what you give in life.

MAKAVELI

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
After July 1st, you will be in DOT Hours of Service violation if you deliver in the middle of your 30 minute break.

We had a PCM about the new DOT rules the other morning. You HAVE to take 30 minutes of lunch the first eight hours. There will be no taking an hour lunch when you get back to the Center anymore. I have never done this, I have always ate lunch in the middle of the day.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I would politely inform them that I was on my lunch.
We work damn hard out there, and DESERVE an uninterrupted lunch.

Do we work damn hard? Yes.

Do we deserve an uninterrupted lunch? Yes.

Does the contract give us the right to take an uninterrupted lunch? Yes.

Is there any logical reason why, as a matter of basic human decency, I cannot make the choice to put myself back on the clock for the 60 or 90 seconds it takes to open a bulkhead door, retrieve a package of Next Day Air medication for a disabled veteran, and allow the man to sign for them so that he doesnt have to stand there and wait for my break or lunch period to end? NO.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Really? If I'm eating lunch and someone wants their package, they get it. BFD. The same people that don't want to be bothered on lunch spend time at every stop bullschitting with people and wonder why they run an hour late. Yes, I'm agitated.

soberups

Read your post. It's pretty obvious you only like to defend the parts of the contract you like. If you don't like some parts of the contract followed, any member who DOES is an :censored2:...

It has nothing to do with whether or not I might "like" some part of the contract, and everything to do with how a reasonable person might interpret the intent of that part of the contract. Bear in mind that the relevant contract language was written over 20 years ago, before DIADS and Telematics had even been invented. Try as I might, I simply cannot fathom the idea that the people who wrote this language did so with the specific intent of preventing a driver from handing a package to a customer who happens to be standing next to the truck during the drivers break or meal period.

soberups

Imagine for a moment that you have a 16 year old daughter who wants to start studying to get her learners permit and driver license.

Lets say you deliver to a DMV office, and while you are there you decide to pick up one of the free pamphlets that they give to young drivers to help them study for the test. You go to the brochure rack in front, only to discover that they are all out of the pamphlets you need. Looking around, you notice a whole stack of them on the countertop next to a DMV employee who is sitting 5 feet away from you reading a newspaper and drinking coffee. So...you go up to the counter and very politely ask the employee if she could please grab a pamphlet off of the stack and reach across the counter to hand it to you. How would you feel if her response was "I'm sorry sir, but I am on my break. Please take a number and wait in line; I will be able to hand you a pamphlet in exactly 12 minutes and 25 seconds when my break period is over." Would you feel that she was being fair or reasonable? Would it make a difference to you if she was polite? Would it make a difference to you if you knew she was a union employee with a contract that prohibited her from doing any work during her break? And would you really be OK with the idea of just standing there in silence and waiting for another 12 minutes during your own busy work day while both she and the free pamphlet you needed were literally within arms reach? Or would you just be pissed at her arrogance and laziness and total disregard for you as a customer?

over9five

Staff member
Do we work damn hard? Yes.

Do we deserve an uninterrupted lunch? Yes.

Does the contract give us the right to take an uninterrupted lunch? Yes.

Is there any logical reason why, as a matter of basic human decency, I cannot make the choice to put myself back on the clock for the 60 or 90 seconds it takes to open a bulkhead door, retrieve a package of Next Day Air medication for a disabled veteran, and allow the man to sign for them so that he doesnt have to stand there and wait for my break or lunch period to end? NO.

Here's what I'm having trouble with:

You (a shop steward) think it's OK for Soberups to disregard the contract, while at the same time calling another member who wants to follow the contract an :censored2:.
I don't know how long you've been a steward, hell I don't even know if you are a steward. This is the internet, we can all be whatever we want. BUT, if this is REALLY how you think, maybe it's time to turn the steward reins over to someone else. Your thinking is back-asswards when you say the person following the contract is the :censored2:.
Think about it.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Kind of hard to do that if the DIAD is locked.

So then they wait until lunch is over. Case closed. If it makes you feel more satisfied, you can quietly moan during your entire 30 minute lunch period with your customer about how mean the DOT and UPS are being. Then you can post your frustrations here.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So then they wait until lunch is over. Case closed. If it makes you feel more satisfied, you can quietly moan during your entire 30 minute lunch period with your customer about how mean the DOT and UPS are being. Then you can post your frustrations here.

....or.....I could do the right thing and take care of the customer without making them wait....we are not the cable company nor do we work at the DMV....

Maui

Fedexer here and the Powerpad locks out for lunch everywhere. In CA state law requires that you take a 30 min uninterrupted lunch or you MUST be paid for the entire lunch period which is typically 1 hour. If you work it eliminates the lunch completely and adds 30 mins or an hour.

Unfortunately, it is falsification to take a label and scan later. I've had to tell customers I'm on lunch and my scanner wont let me do anything until X minutes. I would break up a 60 minute lunch after 30 min to deliver the package then come back for 30 more rather than make the customer wait longer.

I am aware of the fact that I am supposed to have an uninterrupted lunch.

I am also aware of the fact that life happens and people order NDA medications or airline tickets or other urgent packages that they need right away. That is why they call us a service.

The intention of the contract language regarding meal periods was to prevent management from forcing the driver to interrupt his lunch break. It was not intended to force the driver to be an :censored2: towards the customers that he sees on a regular basis

There is an disabled Iraq war veteran on my route who left a big chunk of his anatomy somewhere over in the desert. He gets medications thru the VA and he isnt always at home to sign for them when I show up. He knows where I eat lunch and if he misses me in the AM he will come look for me at lunchtime to get his meds. If I see his car pull up next to the truck I get up, walk out there, get him his meds, go back inside, and continue eating my lunch. It takes all of 2 minutes for me to provide service to this "damn customer", which I simply add onto the end of my lunch break so that I am not working off of the clock. Are you seriously suggesting to me that I should make the man park, pull his walker out of the trunk, and then limp inside so that I can tell him to wait 24 more minutes for me to get up and give him his meds?

Special circumstances warrant special service,I don't think anyone will disagree with that. I think what the real issue here is that he very company we work for and has the word "service" in it's moniker doesn't acknowledge that many of us go the extra mile to do our jobs. Instead,they focus on petty ***** we don't do. That,in effect,causes animosity to some degree in most of us,and unfortunately we occasionally take that out on customers.
​I use to care,now I don't have time to. Thank you UPS.