Delivering during lunch break?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
OK, let's stop the drama queen disabled veteran BS. Do you do the same for everybody?

You know, I can guarantee you that your management team is using your breaking the contract (for yourself) against the other drivers who want to follow the contract:

"SOBERUPS will deliver during his lunch, why won't you??"

"SOBERUPS will break the contract to help us out, why won't you??"

Who cares about your personal opinion. You're a steward, you're there to uphold the contract.
If your personal issues are getting in the way of that, it's time to pass the torch.

1. I'm not a drama queen. The veteran happened to run into me by chance one day because he was eating at the same place I was, and he showed me the delivery notice I had left asked if I had his meds on the truck. I did, so I went and grabbed them for him. Since then, there have been a couple of occasions where he has come by there looking for me if I miss him on the first attempt. If I see his car I go out in the parking lot and get the meds for him. No big deal, and I am on the clock when I do it.

2. If I'm parked under a tree or next to a coffee stand on my break and a customer pulls up in their car and asks if I have their package, I check the DIAD and hand it to them if I have it. I dont make them stand there and wait for 9 more minutes until my break ends. I live and do all of my shopping in the same community that I deliver to, my wife works in this community, I know a lot of these people because I have lived and delivered here for almost 20 years and I am not going to be an :censored2: to them.

3. There is a fundamental difference between management trying to coerce drivers into skipping their lunches and breaks versus a driver who is taking a break and is simply approached by a customer who is asking for their package. If I am ever personally in need of union representation, I hope to God I get a steward who is smart enough to tell the difference.

4. I am technically not delivering during my lunch break. I am simply putting myself back onto the clock for the minute or two it takes me to grab the package that my customer is asking about.

soberups

Sober, why in the world do you feel the need to explain yourself to him?

Good question. I guess its the assertion that I am somehow unworthy of being a steward that bugs me. If he were a troll it would be one thing but he is a long term and respected member/moderator.

over9five

Staff member
Good question. I guess its the assertion that I am somehow unworthy of being a steward that bugs me. If he were a troll it would be one thing but he is a long term and respected member/moderator.
For me it was the assertion that I was an :censored2: for following the contract. Pissed me off, hope we understand each other.
​I'm out.

soberups

For me it was the assertion that I was an :censored2: for following the contract. Pissed me off, hope we understand each other.
​I'm out.

At no point in this thread did I ever state that you are an :censored2:.

What I said...was that any driver who (a) told one of our customers to "pound sand" and (b) made that customer stand there for 9 or 10 minutes until break was over before getting up and handing them their package is a :censored2:.

I dont think you are an :censored2: because, if you ever found yourself in that situation I think you would probably do the same thing I did and just get up and hand them their package. Its easy to stand on principle to the point of being a jerk when you are on the Internet, its a lot harder to do in real life.

soberups

They never last as long as we do...

Back in the "good old days", production harassment didnt involve high-tech Telematics crap, or warning letters, or 3 day lock in rides. It was old-school, bare-knuckles, and in your face. You would get into your car in the morning and your supervisor would be standing in the back with a "termination letter" in one hand and a copy of the WOR in the other and he would get right up into your grill and start in on you. There would be shouting and cussing, and the spit would be flying and the fingers would get pointed and it would pretty much degenerate into a couple of guys having a pissing match and posturing to see which one had the longest junk. In my 26 years here I have had 3 management people unload on me like that and directly threaten my job. All 3 of them wound up getting whacked for dishonesty; guess who is still showing up to work every day and collecting a pay check?

UPS Preloader

What I said...was that any driver who (a) told one of our customers to "pound sand" and (b) made that customer stand there for 9 or 10 minutes until break was over before getting up and handing them their package is a :censored2:.

I dont think you are an :censored2: because, if you ever found yourself in that situation I think you would probably do the same thing I did and just get up and hand them their package. Its easy to stand on principle to the point of being a jerk when you are on the Internet, its a lot harder to do in real life.

Over9five has no issues being an :censored2: in real life! LOL

UPS Preloader

Maybe Over9five can add the appropriate picture...

One cannot simply be an :censored2: only on the internet!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, he just loads his truck off the clock like the rest of the tards we have running around this company these days.

When I download EDD I go through it to see what add/cuts my PDS has given me. I then go through to see if there any stops which do not belong on this area and designate any NDA SVRs as RES/COM. While I don't memorize EDD stop for stop I can pretty much recall 95% or so of what I have in EDD.

upsman68

It depends what I am eating. If it is a hot meal them I politely ask the customer to wait until I'm done with my meal since I probably can't heat it back up. If it is a cold meal likes sandwich them I go grab their package. Some times the Customer is appreciative and gives me a tip.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

no,, i would say his response earned him a a hole tiitle,, but wait , does over work for ups ?

big boy199

I have heard that drivers in some areas (CA for one) are somehow "locked out" of their DIADS during lunch break in order to prevent them from working off of the clock.

How does that work if the driver is eating lunch and a customer approaches him asking for a package that is on the truck? Can the lockout be overridden, and can the DIAD still send and receive messages during this time? Or does it literally become a non-functional piece of plastic until the lunch break is over? While in no way am I advocating working off of the clock, it is quite common for me to be approached by customers needing their stuff while I am on lunch. I always take the DIAD into the restraunt with me, and if they do have a package I will simply walk out to the truck and get it for them and then add an extra minute or two onto the end of my lunch so I'm not working for free. Same thing goes with answering messages from the office. I cant imagine how ashamed and embarassed I would be if a customer approached me needing an urgent package and I had to tell them to just stand there and wait for 37 more minutes until my lunch break was over.
True

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I have heard that drivers in some areas (CA for one) are somehow "locked out" of their DIADS during lunch break in order to prevent them from working off of the clock.

How does that work if the driver is eating lunch and a customer approaches him asking for a package that is on the truck? Can the lockout be overridden, and can the DIAD still send and receive messages during this time? Or does it literally become a non-functional piece of plastic until the lunch break is over? While in no way am I advocating working off of the clock, it is quite common for me to be approached by customers needing their stuff while I am on lunch. I always take the DIAD into the restraunt with me, and if they do have a package I will simply walk out to the truck and get it for them and then add an extra minute or two onto the end of my lunch so I'm not working for free. Same thing goes with answering messages from the office. I cant imagine how ashamed and embarassed I would be if a customer approached me needing an urgent package and I had to tell them to just stand there and wait for 37 more minutes until my lunch break was over.
Sorry lunch time!...Get lost.