Delivering Ground on Friday

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I guess I'm ready , just look for Saturday and Sunday as do nothing days but grill, watch football or a movie, and just chillllllll!
Hey Beernut. Have your buddy that delivers UPS corporate check the amount of cars in the parking lot. Bet most of our "fellow UPS'ers" will be home with their families while we hump packages.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Hey Beernut. Have your buddy that delivers UPS corporate check the amount of cars in the parking lot. Bet most of our "fellow UPS'ers" will be home with their families while we hump packages.
Yes Joe boo , your absolutely correct. I will ask him to see all those people that got to rest, spend money(we made for them), have family time, and get their Xmas up while we slave out in traffic, crowds, and messed up loads.

bbsam

Staff member
Are you sure every Walmart is accepting deliveries, or just your's?
I know Walmart is receiving from Fedex. Their corporate has instructed all locations to receive on Saturdays because a lot of freight coming is is for customer pickup and customers want the opportunity to pick up over the weekend.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
I wouldnt doubt if the gate was closed and locked with a happy Thanksgiving message.

upsman68

My Walmart has never accepted deliveries on Black Friday-----this year they are.

Businesses that were closed because we were not running will be open that day.

Yes, the mall will be crowded, but the worst of Black Friday should be done by the time we hit the road.

Wrong. You have never delivered to the mall in our center. We send out a P1000 two tp -60's and 1 or two overflow trucks. Try pushing a cart stack with packages with a crowded mall. I feel sorry for the driver and the 4 helpers he has. Our mall stays crowded all day. The radio stations give parking capacity updates to let shoppers know how crowded the parking lots are

As for my route, I turned in my closed business stops yesterday and 98 percent are closed. They were surprised we were delivering and said Happy Thanksgiving and see you Monday. I'm afraid I will get some crazy residential splits to give me an 8 hour day. I have two dropboxes and a UPS store pick up. At least it will be double time for all hours worked.

Have a great day. Are you on vacation this week? I forgot if you told us or not

tacken

So let me get this straight take box of shelf deliver. And repeat and repeat about 100 times. and get paid BIG BUCKS.... OK got it..

danlin

Ok , ol timer here checking in......Back in the early 80's we did deliver the day after Thanksgiving...It was such a waste of time and manpower because hardly anyone was open. We were bringing back more than we were delivering and pickups were very minimal. So the next contract I believe UPS and Teamsters agreed to just call it a holiday but only run air.... It's a good thing it all went down this way because now in the Central States we get paid double time for all hours worked as well as paid for the holiday....In essence triple time! So actually it doesn't all pay the same, it pays way more!
Disclosure: as far as I know that triple time applies to pkg and feeder drivers....

oldupsman

Ok , ol timer here checking in......Back in the early 80's we did deliver the day after Thanksgiving...It was such a waste of time and manpower because hardly anyone was open. We were bringing back more than we were delivering and pickups were very minimal. So the next contract I believe UPS and Teamsters agreed to just call it a holiday but only run air.... It's a good thing it all went down this way because now in the Central States we get paid double time for all hours worked as well as paid for the holiday....In essence triple time! So actually it doesn't all pay the same, it pays way more!
Disclosure: as far as I know that triple time applies to pkg and feeder drivers....
Ditto. It was just a regular work day when I first started. Nobody even thought anything about it.

oldupsman

Enjoy the gravy while it lasts as it will dry up in 2018.
You're right . They're not gonna keep paying triple time forever. Same thing happened in our area for Columbus day for awhile.
We ended up giving that up for one whole personal holiday. Wow, what a deal. Same thing is going to happen with day after Thanksgiving too.

laffter

I'll let you how delivering to the Mall and strip mall across the street works out. I'm covering a Mall route this week and the all but 3 of the deliveries for both are either front door or inside the mall deliveries. Should be a total cluster.

The mall on this route also has about that many external deliveries. Mostly the bigger stores that have their own docks. Everything else gets taken up an elevator and into the mall itself.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Enjoy the gravy while it lasts as it will dry up in 2018.
Kinda like there will be two tier wages or year around helpers...Both "predictions" from you that we had to hear how many fricken times.....even though these two things we already have within the company to a certain extent.