Delivering Ground this Saturday the 14th

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I clocked out yesterday at 5:45.

I was out of hours and I brought 26 missed stops back.

Every management person in by building with a DOT card is out on car, in many cases using drivers with no hours left as helpers. They would have used me as a helper when I got back but there was no one with a DOT card around at that moment to drive me anywhere so I went home.

I talked with one of our rural satellite center drivers yesterday. He normally delivers 90 stops per day; yesterday he delivered 140 and brought 80 missed back before running out of hours.

I am not optimistic about next week. I personally would be more than willing to work today as a helper so that I could get my area clean and not have an already impossible amount of stops piled on top of my missed ones come Monday morning. Unfortunately, there are very few people left with DOT cards who have any hours left.

Its going to get really really ugly in a few days.

soberups

If this were China or North Korea, then whoever was responsible for doing volume projections and peak hire planning in the Oregon district would be marched out behind the building and shot in the back of the head.

L

Lizzzow

I'm just blown away by the volume this year. We are a smaller center that at the most in years past durning peak we've run 19 routes. Now we have sups from other centers coming to help and we are up to 25 routes. I can't imagine how CRAZY it is in much bigger centers. Online shopping has exploded!

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
I was out of hours at 3pm yesterday. On car sup came out to drive my pickups and I was his helper.

I love Peak.

Closing in on 2900 hours this year.

Keeping stay at home moms satisfied since 1986

soberups

I have already made the decision for myself that, next week, I will start strategically rolling stops each day in order to maximize the effectiveness of the 60 hours that I have available. My total number of missed stops will be less in one week if I work five 12-hour days than if I work four 13-hour days and am limited to 8 hours by Friday.

I have customers with long driveways or who live at the end of long dead-end roads that are daily Amazon Prime or Surepost customers. If they only have one package and it is ground, I will roll it until the following day when they are almost guranteed to get another one and in many cases save several minutes per day by doing so. A few minutes here and there throughout the day can add up to hours pretty quickly.

Its not my preference to do business this way but there really is no other choice. We are screwed here. There isnt any help, its only going to get worse, and our peak season "plan" is such an abysmal failure that the time has come to start performing triage on the stops in order to minimize the damage. There is nothing more frustrating and demoralizing to me than having to do what I did last night; driving right past houses that I had packages for on my way back to the building because I was on fumes for DOT hours.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have already made the decision for myself that, next week, I will start strategically rolling stops each day in order to maximize the effectiveness of the 60 hours that I have available. My total number of missed stops will be less in one week if I work five 12-hour days than if I work four 13-hour days and am limited to 8 hours by Friday.

I have customers with long driveways or who live at the end of long dead-end roads that are daily Amazon Prime or Surepost customers. If they only have one package and it is ground, I will roll it until the following day when they are almost guranteed to get another one and in many cases save several minutes per day by doing so. A few minutes here and there throughout the day can add up to hours pretty quickly.

Its not my preference to do business this way but there really is no other choice. We are screwed here. There isnt any help, its only going to get worse, and our peak season "plan" is such an abysmal failure that the time has come to start performing triage on the stops in order to minimize the damage. There is nothing more frustrating and demoralizing to me than having to do what I did last night; driving right past houses that I had packages for on my way back to the building because I was on fumes for DOT hours.

I am going to continue to work Monday through Friday, deliver in trace and let the chips fall where they may.
We have no ownership in any of these problems.

upsman68

I had 5.66 hours left. I was instructed to be in and off in 4 hours. I did 57 stops with a dispatch of 111. The rest will be delivered on Monday plus what is dispatched on Monday. Some drivers had 8 to 12 hours left. They had to sweep UPS stores.
I am now relaxing with at home with a Jim Beam devil's cut and coke

oldupsman

They don't deserve a quality employee like yourself Sober. I always tried to care too, but it was hard to sometimes.
I did it more for my long term customers, I was on the same route for 25 years, then I did it for UPS.

MassWineGuy

My center also delivered ground and air today. It's probably needed for all the misloads this week than for how busy things are.

soberups

I am going to continue to work Monday through Friday, deliver in trace and let the chips fall where they may.
We have no ownership in any of these problems.

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you.

Unfortunately, if nothing changes and the undelivered packages start snowballing, I will wind up having ownership of this problem.... when I report to work at 8:00 AM on Christmas Eve and am confronted with 15 or 16 hours worth of stops forced into my car.

I dont really want to be faced with that. I dont want to be out delivering packages at 10:00 at night on Christmas Eve. So I am going to be as proactive as I can possibly be at preventing that from occuring.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you.

Unfortunately, if nothing changes and the undelivered packages start snowballing, I will wind up having ownership of this problem.... when I report to work at 8:00 AM on Christmas Eve and am confronted with 15 or 16 hours worth of stops forced into my car.

I dont really want to be faced with that. I dont want to be out delivering packages at 10:00 at night on Christmas Eve. So I am going to be as proactive as I can possibly be at preventing that from occuring.

I already know that we might have to agree to disagree, but if that was the case and it was no fault of mine, I would be making a call Christmas Eve morning taking myself out of service.

Let me submit that unless everybody in your center is as "proactive" as you, you will still end up with a ridiculous Christmas Eve dispatch.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I'll always work a 6punch if I don't have anything going on Sat. Last few weeks I haven't had the hours to do a 6th day, but if I have 4+ It's worth the time to come in.