Delivering Ground this Saturday the 14th

barnyard

KTM rider
I hope we do NOT have to work this Saturday, the 21st.

I am betting the only way that does not happen is if you are out of hours.

Reading around, it sounds like loads from Texas are starting to more, combine that with peak from all the stuff people are ordering this weekend and it makes working Saturday look inevitable.

Monday should be a reasonable day at my building. Last week, we had curfews for 11.5 hour days.

This is going to be a tough week.

DorkHead

Well, I have scheduled commitments for this Saturday that cannot be broken without loss of monies. Hopefully my 29 years of seniority can help me out in this matter.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Monday should be a reasonable day at my building. Last week, we had curfews for 11.5 hour days.

This is going to be a tough week.

Our curfew for all of December has been 10pm (we start at 840am) except for Mondays when they start us at 8:15, then curfew is 9:45.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I already know that we might have to agree to disagree, but if that was the case and it was no fault of mine, I would be making a call Christmas Eve morning taking myself out of service.

Let me submit that unless everybody in your center is as "proactive" as you, you will still end up with a ridiculous Christmas Eve dispatch.

Making that choice would mean (a) that customers who I have developed personal relationships with would not get their Christmas packages (b) that coworkers whom I consider friends would wind up working even later or fighting even more bulk in order to cover for me and (c) that an unmanageable pile of crap would simply be awaiting for me on the day after Christmas.

The reality is that we already have thousands of packages per day being missed every day. I can reduce that number on my route by making intelligent choices about which packages to miss, with an eye towards conserving and making the best use of the 60 hours that I have available. I'm still sheeting them as "missed" so Im not doing anything dishonest. This was actually a very common practice 20 years ago before Package Level Detail. I'm just dusting it off.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Making that choice would mean (a) that customers who I have developed personal relationships with would not get their Christmas packages (b) that coworkers whom I consider friends would wind up working even later or fighting even more bulk in order to cover for me and (c) that an unmanageable pile of crap would simply be awaiting for me on the day after Christmas.

The reality is that we already have thousands of packages per day being missed every day. I can reduce that number on my route by making intelligent choices about which packages to miss, with an eye towards conserving and making the best use of the 60 hours that I have available. I'm still sheeting them as "missed" so Im not doing anything dishonest. This was actually a very common practice 20 years ago before Package Level Detail. I'm just dusting it off.

I was in no way faulting your decision to strategically roll certain stops to maximize efficiency.
My point is that on Christmas Eve you will definitely have 14 hrs available and if your prediction is accurate, you will most certainly be expected to utilize them in the face of a pathetically inadequate plan.
I prioritize the relationship I have developed with my family over those with customers or co-workers.
I have 2 young children and I will not be working until 10pm on Christmas Eve come hell or high water.

worldwide

When does the ground guarantee get waived and the relaxed commits begin?

Peak-season service guarantees: UPS air and international shipments picked up or delivered within the United States are guaranteed throughout the holiday season unless otherwise noted on ups.com. Commitment times for air and international shipments delivered within the U.S. will be extended by 90 minutes the following days: Nov. 29, Dec. 18-24, and Dec. 31. The guarantee is suspended for UPS Ground and UPS Standard packages picked up or scheduled for delivery between Dec. 11 and Dec. 24. For further details, visit ups.com for the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions.