Delivering in "Da Hood"

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

hmm, seems HP didn't pay extra for a ISR or DSR for that laptop or whatever this hood chick is blogging about...

if i see a decent porch like her's & has those bushes to block the view, i don't consider this house in "da hood" but then i'm not in the ATL... so i don't really know the surrounding area knowledge.

i've recently been delivering in "da hood" lately & i have to lock ALL my doors & slap that dayum padlock on the rear rollup door of my boxvan if i'm going up into some hi-rise gov't subsidized apartment building.

Yes, those drug dealers come out after dark & this past Sat i was out till 1830... dang dusk is at 1700 nowadays, so i start seeing them come out at night.

wish my FedEx vest was made out of kevlar because i'm not from da hood & needs some edumication when it comes to the "hood-ology of delivery"

so fellow purple-ites and browners, if you have some tips in delivering in da hood, lets share it!

i always keep my head on a swivel & i guess i have to get rid of my gun-style spotlight in favor of some LED penlights instead so i won't be mistaken for pointing that thing out my window looking for house numbers... blech

and for hood-customers who are expecting their expensive stuff to come, better be tracking it or just send it to your workplace or closest fedex office/ kinko location for pickup instead. my main one is operating 24/7.

HD contractors, you still pay for claims for disputed deliveries? one dispute says dey didn't receive their shoebox, but i know for a fact it was DR between the storm door and the front door, so the customer will trip over it when they open that 1st door

i ask some people who i DR MC for future reference, if it's safe to leave yo stuff on da porch if youse not home & many of them say yes... while the mailman says no-way.

good thing i'm getting salary, in addition of by-the-stop pay so i won't be dinged for bringing back send-agains

Last edited:

OrioN

not gonna happen, the regular driver has dumped "da hood" section to me as a supplemental... he gets the nice white suburbia areas to the west of the hood. i be all up in it all day from now till Jan :P

it's bad enough that we have to preload/sort our own stuff in our vehicles for free, even though some contractors here say it's already prepaid into your salary/per-stop rate BS... i don't get on the road until 930-1000.

good thing we don't have EXPRESS's job yet on top of that since we will have lates daily if we do it UPS-style, trying to get rid of the NDAs first by 1030... then doubling back to the same areas to get rid of ground

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
not gonna happen, the regular driver has dumped "da hood" section to me as a supplemental... he gets the nice white suburbia areas to the west of the hood. i be all up in it all day from now till Jan :P

Good luck with that. Just be friendly and don't act scared. Most people in the hood are decent people.

outtatime

Good luck with that. Just be friendly and don't act scared. Most people in the hood are decent people.
Exactly. Lock up your truck at stops, and act like you belong wherever it is you are. Also, don't make eye contact with any sketchy looking fellas especially if they are in a group hanging around up to no good. Sometimes they're just looking to pick a fight out of boredom or to show off to their buddies.

bbsam

Staff member

it's bad enough that we have to preload/sort our own stuff in our vehicles for free, even though some contractors here say it's already prepaid into your salary/per-stop rate BS... i don't get on the road until 930-1000.

good thing we don't have EXPRESS's job yet on top of that since we will have lates daily if we do it UPS-style, trying to get rid of the NDAs first by 1030... then doubling back to the same areas to get rid of ground
So...why aren't you at Express now? They love hiring Ground drivers.

OrioN

As stated in the nashville thread, hd is stress free... is express worth it if they limit your hours most of the year so that they earn similar pay, but slightly better benefits??? Or threaten you with olccs or other progressive disipline if they dont like you???

Grass isn't always greener.

Purplepackage

As stated in the nashville thread, hd is stress free... is express worth it if they limit your hours most of the year so that they earn similar pay, but slightly better benefits??? Or threaten you with olccs or other progressive disipline if they dont like you???

Grass isn't always greener.

Well they try to limit hours but that just gives us more OT in the long run.

And nothing beats waiting for late frieght all winter while your getting paid

fatboy33

Courier said he was walking up to a house when a Cholo on a bicycle stopped and asked if that package was for that house. Yes. Ok they want me to sign for it. Driver said oh, the Shipper said I need someone from inside the house to sign it. Luckily the driver didn't get robbed. Its a really bad neighborhood. Lots of able bodied males hanging out all day on the street.

dex 84

Courier said he was walking up to a house when a Cholo on a bicycle stopped and asked if that package was for that house. Yes. Ok they want me to sign for it. Driver said oh, the Shipper said I need someone from inside the house to sign it. Luckily the driver didn't get robbed. Its a really bad neighborhood. Lots of able bodied males hanging out all day on the street.

I would've just let him sign for it, asked him his last name, and sent him on his way.

And that's why I shouldn't deliver in the hood. And I usually don't.

How would I know? He said he lived there...

dezguy

I would've just let him sign for it, asked him his last name, and sent him on his way.

And that's why I shouldn't deliver in the hood. And I usually don't.

How would I know? He said he lived there...
I was always told, if a customer meets you in a driveway to sign for a package, to ask them to enter the house and then sign. If they don't have a key, I.D. or say they were asked to sign for it by the occupant, just tell them the property owner must sign for it and code it.

I follow this regardless if I'd delivering in the hood or neighbourhoods where doctors and lawyers live.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The worst problem in the hood is the loose dogs. The people who live there are good people, just poor. The people who are bad are roaming, you just skip that stop and go on, ni1 dogs.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I hear that there is a driver who is slowly reducing the stray dog population one at a time.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1447426124.233967.jpg