Delivering in dangerous residential areas...

Failure Boy

Just wondering...

What's the policy in the US & abroad concerning deliveries in dangerous & violent neighbourhoods ?

Paris suburbs, Compton in L.A, Camden N.J, council estates in UK...
You know, the ones where you've got to do your delivery in 10 seconds before problems arise....

Do you have sub-contractors doing most of the dirty job ?
Do you have areas with no UPS service at all ?

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
run them in the morning right after your airs if possible.
if you feel endangered in any way dont stop . thats what we are told

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Run em early,before they get up, stand to the side, never in front of the door.
Slide pkg on to porch, and knock on steps, not door if no sig is required. And run like h*** back to truck.
Be amiable as most people are good, just stuck in neighborhoods they cant afford to get out of.
Be very aware of surroundings, never go to house with large amounts of people gathered. Get instinct and use it, Emergency condition if necessary. Let UPS worry about why, as they do not recognize danger other than the ones which are your fault such as "look sharp dont get cut", when you need to "look sharp dont get shot"
None of these are approved methods. But learn to get the big pic and stay alive.
And deliver before they get up, did I mention that?

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family

i know there are some areas in NYC that are dangerous that customers are sent post cards that there is a package for them. the driver goes to a designated area and the person comes to that area to p/u their pkgs. this has been a practice for some time. i would guess that the same applies to other dangerous areas.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Can we say "Hunt's Point"? Rarely have I been to the East Coast but even I have heard of Hunt's Point.
I know enough to know that I don't want to go there.

Failure Boy

Yeah, "deliver before they get up" is my policy too ;)
It's safe in the morning but after 2 p.m, it gets tricky...

I got used to say "Hi !" to the local drug dealer : same guy, same place every day...
It turns into that implicit relationship : "I know how you earn your life, that's fine by me, but don't ever try to friend* with me or break into my package car."

It rarely works with younger kids, though. You would stab you for an Iphone.

filthpig

Just wondering...

What's the policy in the US & abroad concerning deliveries in dangerous & violent neighbourhoods ?

Paris suburbs, Compton in L.A, Camden N.J, council estates in UK...
You know, the ones where you've got to do your delivery in 10 seconds before problems arise....

Do you have sub-contractors doing most of the dirty job ?
Do you have areas with no UPS service at all ?
Okay, are you trying to tell us there are bad Paris suburbs? As in FRANCE?!?!? I'd like to see that!

Filthpig, please come & visit us.
One of these pics is on my route.

I'll show you around... :anxious:

No Eiffel Tower, huh ?

Oh please! We have worse than that every time a sports team wins a championship. Come on over and I`ll take you to 63rd and State on the south side of Chicago. In the early days of my feeder career if you stopped too long the gangs in the CHA towers would use you for target practice.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
i got a story...one of the drivers in the building has been on his route for 28 years and it has unfortunantly declined to the point of...well you know...

about 3 years ago, he is at a stoplight, someone walks out of a house firing a gun in the air chasing someone and everyone scatters. guy walks right up to the UPS truck, looked at the driver and said "You UPS, you cool" then took off running.

Don1010

cachsux, you are so right. i ve been doin a route over on 63rd and western . i get my best work done early in the morning but once those fools wake up its all over!