Delivering iPhones

yeldarb

Is that what all this is about? I am at a satelite center. Our mngmt. is so lazy. We never get any pcm's. All we got yesterday was a diad message that stated "Don't dr any pkgs from Apple. We must get a signature." No explanation of what, why or when. I replied "If they want a signature then they should say so on the pkg. I have enough to do w/out looking to see where every pkg comes from." I got no reply. This is typical for my local management team.

If someone wants to question management, then DR it, risking the loss of a 500.00 phone, a huge contract, because they feel the shipper should make it known to get a signature, they wont be working here long. Last I checked, "working as directed" takes precedence over anything else.

Overpaid Union Thug

I rarely use my computer now for anything. The Iphone is what I use most of the time. The battery needs to be charged at least once a day on the weekends if I am not doing anything else, but it is my portable computer now.

I understand some people have issues with it but for me, it is one of life's small pleasures. I work long hours during the week and have no problem justifying the time I spend on mine.

I use my Macbook Pro (laptop for you non Mac users) about half as much now since I got my iPhone. It's because I can now do some of the things on my phone that I used to have to wait until I got home to my computer do to before. I haven't had an issue with my phone's battery. I charge it every other day. It's amazing considering that I use my phone for a good portion of my lunch break each day and sometimes I use the "Maps" app if I'm on a unfamiliar route or have an add/cut area I'm not familiar with. I love that app by the way. It even have the number breaks if you zoom in close enough. In my opinion the phone is worth all of the hype.

brownrodster

If someone wants to question management, then DR it, risking the loss of a 500.00 phone, a huge contract, because they feel the shipper should make it known to get a signature, they wont be working here long. Last I checked, "working as directed" takes precedence over anything else.

The new iphone is $199.99, I believe.

landrick

They are $199 if you are new to AT&T or are eligible for "upgrade pricing" (i.e., you've completed your previous contract.) Otherwise, they do indeed hit you for up as much as $499, depending on the model. (Speaking as someone who feels this pain all too well...I started with AT&T about two months before the iPhone 3G came out over a year ago, and have been grinding my teeth ever since, waiting for my 2 year contract to end so I can get the lower price.)

ol'browneye

Oh God forbid we ever question management! The point is, if Apple wants signatures, they should make the pkgs. "Signature Required", plain and simple! And if UPS gave a crap about the account and the phones they would require Apple to do it. All it takes is one click of the mouse and it happens. If I make a good dr on an Apple pkg. because I didn't realize it was an Apple pkg., so be it. If it had been a Sig required then the diad would have prompted me to get a signature and I wouldn't dr it.

As I stated in my previous post, we didn't get a pcm on this. I have no idea what these boxes will look like. If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't even know about these iphones.

Cementups

Box Monkey

They are $199 if you are new to AT&T or are eligible for "upgrade pricing" (i.e., you've completed your previous contract.) Otherwise, they do indeed hit you for up as much as $499, depending on the model. (Speaking as someone who feels this pain all too well...I started with AT&T about two months before the iPhone 3G came out over a year ago, and have been grinding my teeth ever since, waiting for my 2 year contract to end so I can get the lower price.)

$199 for 16 GB
$299 for 32 GB
$699 for an iPhone 3Gs WITHOUT contract

yeldarb

It isnt a matter of box recognition. The diad prompts you. It is a signature required which is releasable with a delivery notice.
With a regular signature required package, the diad will not allow it to be released.

Cementups

Box Monkey
It isnt a matter of box recognition. The diad prompts you. It is a signature required which is releasable with a delivery notice.
With a regular signature required package, the diad will not allow it to be released.

We were told that Apple had sent these all out as code "03"'s. that is why the PCM's were made nationwide so that drivers knew not to DR them even though they were coded for driver release.

browniehound

The fact that their in confusion about this scares me. Are people really that air headed? If the person is home....they sign. If they aren't but have left the printed/signed form....leave the phone. Its that simple.

I on the other hand am pissed at Apple because they are so unpredictable as to who they ship with. Sometimes they use DHL, who hands the package(s) off to the USPS and sometimes they use FedEx, RPS, and now us. My current order is two packages that they shipped with DHL. The tracking is horrible. After they handed them off to the USPS it went down hill from there.

Big Arrow,
I was thinking the same thing. Are our drivers really this stupid. At first I thought the manager went overboard describing the 'E-infonotice', but apparently it went over at least on idiot's head.

It is very simple. If they leave the notice, LEAVE the phone. If they don't leave the notice, DON'T leave the phone. Why we got 15 questions at the PCM about this dumbfounds me. I'm a driver I mean no offense when I say this, but we are all lucky these people are UPS drivers and not trying to cure cancer. My goodness, the idiocy is rampant at my center.

I understand that the driver ranks don't hold many mensa canidates but I expected everyone to be above the retarded level.

So after all this, that idiot driver wouldn't leave the phone when the customer was home and there to sign the DIAD. Where did UPS find this person and how did he make seniority. That's my question.....

M

Mike23

I'm not too sure about what these printed/signed forms look like. If anyone can print them though, I certainly wouldn't want to be DLing the pkg. It means if buddy boy was talking to a neighbor and said, 'yeah, I'm getting the new iphone, it comes today but I'm at work' then buddy boy might just print himself off one of those forms and sign it in the other guys name. If ONLY the one customer can print it off then I don't see a prob though.

It's the same with notes in apartment buildings stating, 'please leave outside my door', well ANYONE could've written that note.

On a semiunrelated subject, in Canada, police officers who come across a dying person who left a note stating, 'please do not revive' the officers have to try to revive until paramedics arrive because ANYONE could've written the note.

rushfan

What pisses me off..many customers don't have the common sense to read the terms of delivery. They get mad at UPS for the decision of the company they are ordering the product from. When we had gateway (remember the cow boxes where claims were made if the cartons were damaged), I had a customer go more than ballistic on me almost to the point of assault because I wouldn't let his daughter sign for the package "Adult signature Required". Gateway requested that, not UPS.

Not all customers are correct. I think they should have a common sense quiz before we determine if they are correct.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
I have one, its the dumbest smartphone I've seen...however it does let my iPod and cell phone be one thing instead of carrying both around...which is a perk

I agree. It's not ideal for the business person but for the person who wants a phone and ipod in one (like myself) with other cool features this it it.

I use my Macbook Pro (laptop for you non Mac users) about half as much now since I got my iPhone. It's because I can now do some of the things on my phone that I used to have to wait until I got home to my computer do to before. I haven't had an issue with my phone's battery. I charge it every other day. It's amazing considering that I use my phone for a good portion of my lunch break each day and sometimes I use the "Maps" app if I'm on a unfamiliar route or have an add/cut area I'm not familiar with. I love that app by the way. It even have the number breaks if you zoom in close enough. In my opinion the phone is worth all of the hype.

The phone isn't worth all the hype and was a pain being all touchscreen at first (esp. winter with gloves) however, it's very nice to have and its nice to not have to drag my Macbook everywhere and be able to do a lot of things with such a little device.

Overpaid Union Thug

I agree. It's not ideal for the business person but for the person who wants a phone and ipod in one (like myself) with other cool features this it it.

The phone isn't worth all the hype and was a pain being all touchscreen at first (esp. winter with gloves) however, it's very nice to have and its nice to not have to drag my Macbook everywhere and be able to do a lot of things with such a little device.

I have owned and tested numerous touch screens and the iPhone and iPod Touch are the only ones that have worked right. The others should have been called "push screens" because they were to quirky. One barely functioned at all.

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
I have owned and tested numerous touch screens and the iPhone and iPod Touch are the only ones that have worked right. The others should have been called "push screens" because they were to quirky. One barely functioned at all.

This is true. I owned Samsung's version of the iPhone and it was hideous to use and impractical. Once I got adjusted to having an all touch screen phone its been great...as with most things from Apple lol

brownhorn

I upgraded Saturday from a razr phone, so it's pretty freaking awesome to me. I got the old 3G not 3Gs, though, because it was only 99 bucks compared to 199. I'm a cheapskate. While I was having trouble hitting the wrong keys (fat fingers) at the Apple store, I figured I'd just use one of my DIAD styluses instead. That didn't work at all. I guess it reads body temperature or something. I'm really enjoying the phone though.