Delivering on Air Only days

1pocket73

I always find these days much more difficult to deliver on because we are delivering a much larger area(for me yesterday,about 10 routes worth)with several 12:00 commits.Having to break off at 10:30 so I didn't have any late air(which I ended up having anyway)makes for big time inefficiency.Of course it helps to know the entire area you are doing,but yesterday I knew Zero of mine.That was pretty tough with 125 stops and 35 noon commits!

Does anybody else experience this on air only days?How have you dealt with it to improve?I was going to say something to management before I left but I didn't want to cause problems.It was one of the most stressful days I have had thusfar and have been full time driving for about a year now.Thanks for any responses!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I always find these days much more difficult to deliver on because we are delivering a much larger area(for me yesterday,about 10 routes worth)with several 12:00 commits.Having to break off at 10:30 so I didn't have any late air(which I ended up having anyway)makes for big time inefficiency.Of course it helps to know the entire area you are doing,but yesterday I knew Zero of mine.That was pretty tough with 125 stops and 35 noon commits!

Does anybody else experience this on air only days?How have you dealt with it to improve?I was going to say something to management before I left but I didn't want to cause problems.It was one of the most stressful days I have had thusfar and have been full time driving for about a year now.Thanks for any responses!

Pretty simple really. If you don't know your area deliver all time commits first. Even if that means back trackin a lot later in the day.

Keep management updated as to your air situation and if you may have lates.

Pkgcar1988

All you can do is let them know you are not familiar with the area and probably going to have late air. Then the ball is in their court.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was going to say something to management before I left but I didn't want to cause problems.

Mgt wants you to tell them if you don't think you can get your airs off on time. If you tell them you may have lates and they send you out anyway the onus is on them.

I worked yesterday and ran a combined route. I knew both areas so it wasn't too hard to get all of my airs off on time. The relaxed commit helped. I did have one EAM that I scanned before leaving the bldg. (1025) to make sure it showed as being delivered on time (even though it wasn't----1035). Yeah, I know that's not the right thing to do, but that is one battle I don't feel like fighting.

If I were in your shoes I would have run straight NDA and then restarted the route once the NDA was done.

Pkgcar1988

Why would you put yourself in a position to get fired for being dishonest by scanning an air before you left the building???? Tell sup it's going to be late and move on, not your problem

Brownslave688

Why would you put yourself in a position to get fired for being dishonest by scanning an air before you left the building???? Tell sup it's going to be late and move on, not your problem
We have fought this battle with upstate many times. It's simply not worth your time.

Pkgcar1988

I understand,I've been there anything for the company kind of guy, but.....1 to many warning letters for ridiculous things have driven me to look at this company from a different perspective!!!!!

1pocket73

Really what I was trying to ask about was doing a large area that you know none of.Sure,I could have ran NDA first and had no lates,but then I have got 95 or so that I don't know at all.EDD does not help because it is combining routes,causing stops that should be together in the board to be at opposite ends of the board and some in the middle.Like I said,if you know the entire area then you can scroll down and know what goes with what.But if you don't know,then I guess you are screwed?

Brownslave688

Really what I was trying to ask about was doing a large area that you know none of.Sure,I could have ran NDA first and had no lates,but then I have got 95 or so that I don't know at all.EDD does not help because it is combining routes,causing stops that should be together in the board to be at opposite ends of the board and some in the middle.Like I said,if you know the entire area then you can scroll down and know what goes with what.But if you don't know,then I guess you are screwed?
Buy a map. GPS is great but can't show u a large area and how it runs together.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your EDD will show all of the stops by commit time. Get rid of the noon commits first and then designate all of the remaining stop as residential. This will reset EDD in to the proper delivery order. Simply follow that, do the best that you can and let the chips fall where they may.

UPSGUY72

It's easy money take your time run the air only first if your have to than go back and get the rest. I had about 32 air that need to be off buy 12 and two EAM that needed to be off by 10. I had 2 stops that where late and I let them know at 11:00 that i was going to have late Air. I had a total of 75 stops started at 8:50 and punched out at 4:00.