Delivering to construction sites

brownrodster

Nothing too horrible. Sometimes it's hard to find someone willing to sign. The particular contractor you are looking for may not be there.

The worst is probably having a load of heavy stuff and no one being on site and having to come back the next day. But I guess that's not too horrible. Just a time waster. Type of stop that if I were on telematics a Sup would confront me the next morning about being overallowed at that stop most likely.

I'm sure I've had construction stops with the wrong or hard to find address for a person or company no one has ever heard of... Maybe that company hasn't showed up on site yet.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Not really a horror story, just an inconsiderate customer. I pulled into a constrution site a few weeks ago. I won't go any other place but the office and on my way to the office I drove right past a few guys standing next to the building under construction. They saw me come in. I pulled up to the office, honked. Unloaded pkgs, office door was locked, honked again, waited, honked again. Nothing. Pulled up to the gate I had to go through to come in and honked again. Finally, I had someones attention. I made him walk over to the truck and of course he wanted to know who the pkgs were for. So back to the office we went. He finally signed. If this site had been any bigger I wouldn't have bothered with trying to find anyone.

We have another construction site that gets things all the time. It is a huge site. A new Catholic Church. That one I won't bother with. If no one is in the office, it's an info notice and I'm out the door.

Tiny Panda

I go to the site office, if no-one there or they refuse to sign it then it goes back. You're not insured to wandering across a construction site.

Ms Spoken

There is new mine going in on my route so of course they have to be trained. Most of the time I don't have to cross the security guard I just walk it to him.
Well the one day from you know where I had 15 pkgs at 130 lbs each. So needless to say I unloaded everything in the storage shed. Then to make things even worse the head boss came over and started telling me where everything needed to go because not all of it was his. So back to the truck with my two wheeler in those large rocks that you cant even push your cart in. Moved these SOB's pkgs again and guess what no one around to sign. By that time I had blown a fuse so I just backed up dropped everything outside their trailer and went back to the boss and told him to sign and that this will be the last time UPS will chase a fake ghost.
Never had another problem after that.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There is new mine going in on my route so of course they have to be trained. Most of the time I don't have to cross the security guard I just walk it to him.
Well the one day from you know where I had 15 pkgs at 130 lbs each. So needless to say I unloaded everything in the storage shed. Then to make things even worse the head boss came over and started telling me where everything needed to go because not all of it was his. So back to the truck with my two wheeler in those large rocks that you cant even push your cart in. Moved these SOB's pkgs again and guess what no one around to sign. By that time I had blown a fuse so I just backed up dropped everything outside their trailer and went back to the boss and told him to sign and that this will be the last time UPS will chase a fake ghost.
Never had another problem after that.
Ms Spoken, if you ever have a problem at the mine again, just mention MSHA - Mine Safety and Health Act. Of all federal government committees MSHA can be the nastiest to deal with. They have no sense of humor about anything. And for anyone to be on a mine sight, they have to be MSHA certified.

Big Babooba

I once had a power plant construction site on my route. Bechtel was the general contractor. Before entering the site, the guard would issue me a hardhat and contact the foreman by radio. When I got to the work area, I delivered to the trailers and the foreman would sign for everything except for one contractor - Continental Heine.

Nobody was allowed to sign for their stuff. They were building the smoke stack. One day I had a NDA for them that they badly needed. They were in the middle of a pour for the last section. They couldn't come down so I took the cage up! What a view I got from 240 feet up.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I once had a power plant construction site on my route. Bechtel was the general contractor. Before entering the site, the guard would issue me a hardhat and contact the foreman by radio. When I got to the work area, I delivered to the trailers and the foreman would sign for everything except for one contractor - Continental Heine.

Nobody was allowed to sign for their stuff. They were building the smoke stack. One day I had a NDA for them that they badly needed. They were in the middle of a pour for the last section. They couldn't come down so I took the cage up! What a view I got from 240 feet up.

The 8th Key to Lifting and Lowering. Use available equipment!

porkwagon

Not really a horror story, just an inconsiderate customer. I pulled into a constrution site a few weeks ago. I won't go any other place but the office and on my way to the office I drove right past a few guys standing next to the building under construction. They saw me come in. I pulled up to the office, honked. Unloaded pkgs, office door was locked, honked again, waited, honked again. Nothing. Pulled up to the gate I had to go through to come in and honked again. Finally, I had someones attention. I made him walk over to the truck and of course he wanted to know who the pkgs were for. So back to the office we went. He finally signed. If this site had been any bigger I wouldn't have bothered with trying to find anyone.

We have another construction site that gets things all the time. It is a huge site. A new Catholic Church. That one I won't bother with. If no one is in the office, it's an info notice and I'm out the door.

That is exactly my procedure at construction sites. I described this the other day on the thread about being ignored waiting for a signature and was dissed by someone implying that I was trying to make my numbers look good.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
That is exactly my procedure at construction sites. I described this the other day on the thread about being ignored waiting for a signature and was dissed by someone implying that I was trying to make my numbers look good.
I know what thread you are talking about. Don't worry about it. :peaceful:

Treegrower

Ford was building a brand new state of the art auto plant in my state and our city was the winning city. And I was the winning driver. What a nightmare. Brand new from scratch in a couple hundred acre open field.
In addition to the structure itself there were 3 seperate "main trailer cities" and then a few scattered trailer clusters. What an absolute nightmare. Went on for three years.
I.E had to come out and time study the contruction site once it got into full swing and then then that construction site was given it's own area number. 6 or 7 different entrances hundreds of contractors. Major hassles.I'd get there about 9:45 am and leave about 2 and if I was lucky I'd have 45 maybe 50 stops off. And that would be a good day. Often I wasn't that lucky. One day the center manager came along with me to "straighten " things out. He never came back and never spoke about overallow ever again. Even with the new time study.
I could type all night about the stories that went on.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Well, this is the time of the year when more and more construction projects are popping up. In my area they are refitting some of the sewer pipe systems around the neighborhood. Why is this a horror story? That means full road closures and having to park and walk in your dels if you plan to get any off.

These projects may last till the end of summer so there is no way to get around it. But, lo and behold I have a tip. Try and del during their lunch hour, they will park their equipment and road will open temporarily.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Well, this is the time of the year when more and more construction projects are popping up. In my area they are refitting some of the sewer pipe systems around the neighborhood. Why is this a horror story? That means full road closures and having to park and walk in your dels if you plan to get any off.

These projects may last till the end of summer so there is no way to get around it. But, lo and behold I have a tip. Try and del during their lunch hour, they will park their equipment and road will open temporarily.

2 seasons. Winter and road construction.

Cementups

Box Monkey
About ten years ago I used to have two constructioons right next to each other. Things were a little more lenient then. I made an agreement with the guys at the main trialers to DR the stuff for them if they weren't around. But I warned them if anything came up "missing" from either site, no more, doone, finito! Never had a problem.

City Driver

ive had a few, dont usually have a problem cuz i always have a phone number to call

and they are always liftgate required, and sometimes the thing is to big to fit on the liftgate so the delivery cant even be made