Delivering to possible Identity Theft customer

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm sure you're being sarcastic, but I've known more than a few drug dealers. They can be good people and stand up neighbors, that's a fact.
We should probably define what a "drug dealer" actually is.

Someone who is selling dime bags of crack or meth at all hours of the day and night and generating large amounts of criminal traffic to the neighborhood belongs in a completely different category than the guy who buys an ounce of pot for personal use and sells a few baggies to his friends in order to defray part of his cost.

Stopher

It is not your place to play cop. Deliver the package, get an autograph and let LP take it from there. It may take some time but eventually they will get caught red-handed.
It's ok to play cop. Simply read the name off the package and require that the customer give u that name without telling him. If u want to take it a step further ask it's ok to snap a pic of his license. Nothing wrong with protecting the the company or even more important someone's identity.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
We should probably define what a "drug dealer" actually is.

Someone who is selling dime bags of crack or meth at all hours of the day and night and generating large amounts of criminal traffic to the neighborhood belongs in a completely different category than the guy who buys an ounce of pot for personal use and sells a few baggies to his friends in order to defray part of his cost.

Same in my book.
Wrong is wrong. lessening degrees of wrongness does not make it more right.

soberups

Same in my book.
Wrong is wrong. lessening degrees of wrongness does not make it more right.
Possession of small quantities of marijuana was decriminalized in my state in 1973 and as of July of this year it will be completely legal to buy in state-approved stores and to grow and possess small quantities for personal use.

I am not a fan of marijuana by any means but I would say that it creates far less societal problems than alcohol abuse and the Federal laws that put it in the same category as heroin and LSD are outdated, racist, and completely irrational.

soberups

The closest I have ever got is delivering to a trailer park with registered sex offenders.
I hope that when I get old and approach the end of my life, I find out from my doctor that I have about 6 months left to live and that for 4 or 5 of those months I will still have a reasonable amount of physical mobility and eyesight.

All I would need at that point is a list of the names and addresses of predatory sex offenders, rapists and child molesters who had been released on some sort of technicality or who were at high risk of reoffending and for whom there was no legal method of keeping incarcerated.

There is no man so free as the one who has nothing to lose.....meaning it would be a wonderful opportunity for me to serve society by going "hunting" a few times before I died.

Jabbawock

X35PKG/HR
There's a duplex I deliver to that is rented out. The tenant before screwed me over on a delivery so it has become a signature required address. The new tenants moved in around September last year, and by November I noticed these people were receiving packages with different names. These names would delivered for a 2 week stretch, usually by air or 2nd day, then disappear. 2-3 weeks down the line, another name would pop up and another week stretch of deliveries.

Obviously I'm not stupid, I bring it up to loss prevention and he basically just tells me to make sure he signs for it. Yesterday, I delivered a Sprint phone with an unfamiliar name. I ask if he's here. He says he's in school late so he'll sign for it. :bsbullf:

Today another Sprint phone came with a different name and I just sheeted it as NO SUCH PERSON and left it for the clerk. I told my sup today that I don't want to be a part of this and need something to be done. I've done everything not to confront the customer but I don't want to deliver there and start an altercation. Have any drivers dealt with this before and can they freeze deliveries to certain addresses ?

If you really care whether it gets delivered to the right person or not, do what the clerks do when a package needs to be picked up on will call. Ask for an ID. The name of the package have to match the name on the ID.
I have had multiple deliveries on residences such as these, and I always ask for the ID, I follow the "not in rule". If by the third time, the person is still not able to receive the package, I remind the person answering the door, that it will be placed on will call for a week, if the actual customer does not pick it up, it will be sent back to the shipper.
That's when I tell the LP the story. Maybe it'll make a difference, I don't know.
Don't bother the local police with this either, they have better things to do. It's not like you have hard evidence.
In addition, if you're LP or supervisor tells you to deliver it to the person that answers the door, and it bothers you for doing it, ask for an ID, and remind them that you need to take a picture of it, make sure the picture matches them.
In addition, before doing anything that will jeopardize your job, let you shop stewart know. Maybe they can give you some other ideas or help you with the problem.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
If you really care whether it gets delivered to the right person or not, do what the clerks do when a package needs to be picked up on will call. Ask for an ID. The name of the package have to match the name on the ID.
I have had multiple deliveries on residences such as these, and I always ask for the ID, I follow the "not in rule". If by the third time, the person is still not able to receive the package, I remind the person answering the door, that it will be placed on will call for a week, if the actual customer does not pick it up, it will be sent back to the shipper.
That's when I tell the LP the story. Maybe it'll make a difference, I don't know.
Don't bother the local police with this either, they have better things to do. It's not like you have hard evidence.
In addition, if you're LP or supervisor tells you to deliver it to the person that answers the door, and it bothers you for doing it, ask for an ID, and remind them that you need to take a picture of it, make sure the picture matches them.
In addition, before doing anything that will jeopardize your job, let you shop stewart know. Maybe they can give you some other ideas or help you with the problem.

I have no intentions of getting the police involved.
I think after 8 months that I feel more part of the problem than looking the other way.
If I can take back control of the delivery and request an ID, ask a clerk for NSP or WC that address, it would cause enough problems to keep me and UPS out of it.
At worst, he proves to UPS that these are legitimate deliveries and nothing nefarious.

My overall feeling is not to have these parents arrested but to not to be a pawn in their scheme.
I've worked the ghetto enough to know the unwritten UPS rule of doing business there.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I have no intentions of getting the police involved.
I think after 8 months that I feel more part of the problem than looking the other way.
If I can take back control of the delivery and request an ID, ask a clerk for NSP or WC that address, it would cause enough problems to keep me and UPS out of it.
At worst, he proves to UPS that these are legitimate deliveries and nothing nefarious.

My overall feeling is not to have these parents arrested but to not to be a pawn in their scheme.
I've worked the ghetto enough to know the unwritten UPS rule of doing business there.
I'm completely onboard with Heff. I know when to put my head down and mind my business but also don't want to be part of the problem and have ethical bs weighing on my conscience.

I work in the actual ghetto and have come down to this...If there is some woman or small family where I know they are being fraudulent I'll make it really hard for them. If I'm delivering to a known drug or gang guy where the safety of my family or me would be in jeopardy I mind my business.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
I'm completely onboard with Heff. I know when to put my head down and mind my business but also don't want to be part of the problem and have ethical bs weighing on my conscience.

I work in the actual ghetto and have come down to this...If there is some woman or small family where I know they are being fraudulent I'll make it really hard for them. If I'm delivering to a known drug or gang guy where the safety of my family or me would be in jeopardy I mind my business.
So the people that are just doing it to get by get hammered by you but the REAL criminals get a pass?

Good lookin out.

Simply telling EVERYONE the person at the door must show ID and be the name on the box would put an end to ANYONE doing it.

Clear it with your mgmt team and LP just so you are all on the Same page first.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
only time I ask for ID is when the DIAD prompts me for it.
You're doing it wrong.

It's at my discretion to ensure I release packages to the right person.

Driver release is at drivers discretion. I can have every stop sign if I so choose.

Also req signatures at apartments and businesses. Your promoted to get signatures at all your commercial stops?

Tiny Panda

We had someone coming to collect some packages that were purchased with a stolen credit card, center manager contacted the Police and gave them the details but said that's as far as UPS would go, it wasn't up to us to intervine so they were allowed the collect them. Never knew if the Police eventually caught up with them

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had someone coming to collect some packages that were purchased with a stolen credit card, center manager contacted the Police and gave them the details but said that's as far as UPS would go, it wasn't up to us to intervine so they were allowed the collect them. Never knew if the Police eventually caught up with them

Here in the State the police would rather the thieves receive the package(s) and then apprehend them.

wayfair

swollen member
You're doing it wrong.

It's at my discretion to ensure I release packages to the right person.

Driver release is at drivers discretion. I can have every stop sign if I so choose.

Also req signatures at apartments and businesses. Your promoted to get signatures at all your commercial stops?

I get signatures at all apartments/commercial stops... I don't ask for ID unless the DIAD prompts me to .

I DARE you to get a signature from every stop... triple dog dare