Delivery Driver Jobs To Disappear by 2030

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Really? I notice no difference. The biggest change where I live is wal mart only has 6 cashiers and the rest are self check out haha. Self phones haven't changed much since 2008 and the Internet is faster but as far as other things I'm really not seeing it

A lot has changed in 15 years.

Just one example:
15 years ago---

Desktop computers were just beginning to reach maturity within the consumer market (laptops, which had just dropped below $2K, were out of reach for most people). People accessed internet via dial-up connections, mostly AOL. Many households were adding second lines for internet, leading to a surge in area codes.

Cell phones were still penetrating consumer markets. AirTouch Cellular was joining several other carriers to form a new company called Verizon. Several baby bells were doing the same to become Cingular, which later acquired AT&T Wireless, and then AT&T itself. Sprint was the largest wireless carrier and the first to introduce the concept of NO LONG DISTANCE FEES. People worried horrendously about their 250 "anytime minutes."

1MP digital cameras had just dropped below the $500 market, but experts agreed that digital cameras would never overtake film, especially in the professional segment.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Look at the Futurists of the 19th century, at how they described the 20th century, these are glorified fortune tellers, no merit. I do love how this bozo has a picture of Einstein with a quote behind his melon head. Here is one for ad hoc 'institute'
Albert%2BEinstein%2Bquote5.jpg

Bottom rung

Once a year I take my bucket full of change to the bank-set it on the counter and watch the little teller girl mumble to herself "oh :censored2:- that looks heavy". Sometimes it takes two of them to dump it in the coin counter and it usually totals up to 350 to 450 bucks. I do it every year right before I go on my 11 day racing trip. My wife hates change so I get all hers too.
The zoo?

Rain Shield

A Robot is going to be able to collect a COD how?
It will be able to dig through a bricked out truck to find a box how?
It will be able to take an Excersize Machine up 3 flights of stairs how?
Will it have superhuman strength where it can move boxes heavier than what a Human can carry now?
How will Management discipline the Robot for going over the planned day on hours and miles?
The Robot and Orion will become best of friends?
By 2030 a COD will be automated. I in no way say our jobs will be eliminated, but they will need much fewer of us. Efficiency with automation, call them robots or what ever you want, will lower our numbers.

Heck, look at Worldport. It would have taken 4 times the amount of people to process the current volume they handle daily just 15 hears ago.

Rainman

Its all good.
In the 1950s people predicted that we would have flying cars by 2000. A lot of people make wild predictions. The technology for a lot of the wild predictions is there, but price wise it isn't market feasible. Sure, they could have robots doing a lot of what we do, but would it be financially feasible? Probably not.

SCV good to go sir.

Man, people have been trying to predict the future for thousands of years now. Nobody knows what's going to happen in the future, nobody. And anyone who tries to make stupid ass predictions, likely doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

I didn't click the link yet, but I'm pretty sure the author or guy giving the talk at TED has never driven a package car before. Let alone worked in a hub. He has no idea what our job entails. WTF does he know about what it takes to do our job? WTF does a mathematician know about how a route should be run? WTF do these center manager that have never driven for more than 30 days know about our operations?

This job may not be the same when I get older, but I don't see it going anywhere.

oldngray

nowhere special
Man, people have been trying to predict the future for thousands of years now. Nobody knows what's going to happen in the future, nobody. And anyone who tries to make stupid ass predictions, likely doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

I didn't click the link yet, but I'm pretty sure the author or guy giving the talk at TED has never driven a package car before. Let alone worked in a hub. He has no idea what our job entails. WTF does he know about what it takes to do our job? WTF does a mathematician know about how a route should be run? WTF do these center manager that have never driven for more than 30 days know about our operations?

This job may not be the same when I get older, but I don't see it going anywhere.

“FLASHBACK: ABC’s ’08 Prediction: NYC Under Water from Climate Change By June 2015,”

http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2015/06/12/abc-doesnt-take-global-warming-predictions-seriously/

Another "prediction" of the future.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
A lot has changed in 15 years.

Just one example:
15 years ago---

Desktop computers were just beginning to reach maturity within the consumer market (laptops, which had just dropped below $2K, were out of reach for most people). People accessed internet via dial-up connections, mostly AOL. Many households were adding second lines for internet, leading to a surge in area codes.

Cell phones were still penetrating consumer markets. AirTouch Cellular was joining several other carriers to form a new company called Verizon. Several baby bells were doing the same to become Cingular, which later acquired AT&T Wireless, and then AT&T itself. Sprint was the largest wireless carrier and the first to introduce the concept of NO LONG DISTANCE FEES. People worried horrendously about their 250 "anytime minutes."

1MP digital cameras had just dropped below the $500 market, but experts agreed that digital cameras would never overtake film, especially in the professional segment.

You really should do a little more research on the telecom companies.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Look at the Futurists of the 19th century, at how they described the 20th century, these are glorified fortune tellers, no merit. I do love how this bozo has a picture of Einstein with a quote behind his melon head. Here is one for ad hoc 'institute'
Albert%2BEinstein%2Bquote5.jpg

I'll just leave this here for the futurists. It's a little long, but the only one I could find that wouldn't be deleted.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
My cousin works for one of those robotic companies owned by Google. His take is its all media hype. He says maybe in 50-60 years, they'll have the AI technology to replace the human element. He says most of these articles and talks are just PR they use.