Delivery Driver Jobs To Disappear by 2030

bluehdmc

If everyone loved new technology and wanted it used all the time we would not have many different businesses. Like s bank for example why do we have bankers if I can just go use an atm machine?

Had a friend that worked for Fleet Bank, since bought out by Bank of America. They were charging $2.50 for transactions at a teller that could have been done at the ATM.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Maybe not $500 dollars but I have used:

coinstar.jpg

Almost 10% here

P

pickup

Rocky 1, , the henchman of Rocky's loanshark boss says that after the boss gives Rocky a few dollars so that he can take Adrian out.

Come to think of it, in rocky 2, Rocky proposes to Adrian at the zoo and invites Mr. Tiger to come to the wedding as well.

Packmule

I see the truck driving itself, someone still needs to be there to do everything else. All they have coming down the pipe so far makes management and their trucks responsible for accidents. All humans do is move the packages from the truck to the customer's door. Sounds like win win to me--especially in winter!

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I see the truck driving itself, someone still needs to be there to do everything else. All they have coming down the pipe so far makes management and their trucks responsible for accidents. All humans do is move the packages from the truck to the customer's door. Sounds like win win to me--especially in winter!

I was thinking the same thing. I also think if the truck drives itself. I would be the one walking really slowly. For each delivery. It needs me.:-). They might really want me to retire. Maybe then we will be offered a buyout. It may be fun.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
My cousin works for one of those robotic companies owned by Google. His take is its all media hype. He says maybe in 50-60 years, they'll have the AI technology to replace the human element. He says most of these articles and talks are just PR they use.

Automation has already replaced thousands of jobs at UPS in the past 15 years and no doubt tens of thousands more will evaporate in the next 15. Driverless delivery driver is a reality and could be here in 15 years. But to completely replace every single driving job? Won't happen.

Now would be a good time, though, to watch Back to the Future to see how 2015 was envisioned in 1985... I think the Cubs win the World Series this year :).

You really should do a little more research on the telecom companies.

Interesting. Please be more specific.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Automation has already replaced thousands of jobs at UPS in the past 15 years and no doubt tens of thousands more will evaporate in the next 15. Driverless delivery driver is a reality and could be here in 15 years. But to completely replace every single driving job? Won't happen.

Now would be a good time, though, to watch Back to the Future to see how 2015 was envisioned in 1985... I think the Cubs win the World Series this year.
)

The cubs!! Not this year. Maybe in the next 5. If they can keep players

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The first issue: You'd have to get everyone to agree not to own and operate their own vehicle to make that BS work. You'd have to essentially have a network of autonomous vehicles or a smart tram system, but you couldn't have that and driver-operated vehicles on the road. The article talks about people giving up their vehicles.
Second issue: Dirt roads or remote areas with people who live 30 minutes from their nearest neighbor or 45 minutes from the nearest business.

Vehicles won't be replaced. People will always want to have their own private conveyance. At some point energy storage may become efficient and affordable enough that everyone has a purely electric vehicle, but it would need to have a much longer range than current electric vehicles to become the norm. Hybrids appear to be the closest we'll get for a while.

Robotics could be used for some deliveries, but each address would essentially have to be programmed in to ever work. You can't always drive to 10 Maple St and just walk 25 feet to an open porch and drop a package. Many places wouldn't be robot/drone friendly including unmarked buildings, buildings with non-conventional entrances, buildings behind buildings, buildings in the woods, etc etc.

This article was an over-reach.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You really should do a little more research on the telecom companies.

Actually, the only real reason I know as much as I do about the government mandated breakup of AT&T and the Bell Corporation is because my step-father was pretty much forcibly retired from AT&T Long Lines when it happened.

Start here to get kind of an idea of how many iterations the Baby Bells went through:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_the_Bell_System

And, as for the wireless side, look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_industry_in_the_United_States

I remember him telling me about every month that the stock he had in A company was now B and C company. It was hectic.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Now would be a good time, though, to watch Back to the Future to see how 2015 was envisioned in 1985... I think the Cubs win the World Series this year :).

The cost of these new automated cars will be astronomical and won't be worth the price years until after the technology is produced. Then there is the legal and PR hurdles to get through before this becomes wide spread and accepted.

Heck the guys starting now will have their 35 years in way before this all happens. It might affect my kids generation but I'm highly doubtful

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Actually, the only real reason I know as much as I do about the government mandated breakup of AT&T and the Bell Corporation is because my step-father was pretty much forcibly retired from AT&T Long Lines when it happened.

Start here to get kind of an idea of how many iterations the Baby Bells went through:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakup_of_the_Bell_System

And, as for the wireless side, look here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_industry_in_the_United_States

I remember him telling me about every month that the stock he had in A company was now B and C company. It was hectic.
I come from a phone company family and worked for the phone company for over a decade. My mother started with AT&T which after divestiture in 84 became New England Telephone (and the other baby bells). I started with the company when it became NYNEX, which stood for New York, New England and beyond (the X stood for beyond). Around 97 NYNEX merged with Bell Atlantic and took the Bell Atlantic name, then later the company acquired GTE and to get rid of the regional/geographical names became Verizon, which we were told was a combination of Veritas, latin for "truth" conveying reliability and trustworthiness and horizon, looking forward to the future. For years customers thought it was pronounced Vara-zohn like it looks instead of Ver-eye-zin.

margaritaville

There is a pretty simple answer in regards to getting it to the front door/etc. But it depresses me. so dont want to say it. I'm sure they will figure it out anyways. I dont think we'll lose our jobs but wage decreases prob happen in our lifetime for people under 35. As in, expect this :censored2:ty wage or be laid off. Hopefully not, but probably.