Delivery Driver Jobs To Disappear by 2030

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Maybe not $500 dollars but I have used:

coinstar.jpg
They have one right by the cashier cages at Boomtown in Biloxi, MS., no fee. It's the place that social security checks go to die.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I can't believe they can't figure out a way to eliminate Misloads. Would have to think someone is working on it. Maybe some type of laser reader on the back of the car that reads the package no matter where the preloader holds it entering the car. Have to think thats hopefully coming down the pike soon. It's free money running off misloads but on a Friday after a long week it can be annoying
It would iust take a little reusable rfid tag but the company probably doesnt want to spend the money. It would also eliminate digging through bulked out trucks looking for a package.

clean hairy

As long as you have grass runways everywhere and have a pilots license...
This is nothing new. Flying cars have been around for years.
First obstacle is to secure a Pilots License, then it has to have an annual FAA inspection(maybe not FAA, but an annual inspection for airworthiness) which costs I dunno, $800-$1,500 bux or so? (there is a Pilot somewhere on the board who can maybe tell us)
Hope you never get into even a minor fender bender on the road, it can't be flown again until it has been established to be airworthy.
Then, you have to buy Auto Insurance and insure it as an Aircraft as well.
This is my guess as to why previous versions never were big sellers or stuck around for long.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I think it would be more likely for ups pilots to be out of a job before package drivers due to automation. Especially by 2030

Most planes can already takeoff, land and fly themselves. Pilots refer to the autopilot as "George."

But we still have a $250,000/yr pilot and a $200,000/yr copilot in the seats.

Some even have a third person, flight engineer.

The autopilot did not replace the pilot, and never will.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Like said before, look at Worldport. All the automation there, it's easy to envision a reduced number of preloaders in the no too distant future.

Have you been to Worldport?

Humans still unload the trailers.
Humans still load the trailers.
Humans still drive the tugs.
Humans still move the cans.
Humans still load the cans.
Humans still unload the cans.
Humans still drive the yard birds.
Humans still load the planes.
Humans still unload the planes.
Humans still fly the planes.
Humans still drive the semi's

The sorting process is automated. That is about it. And that automated sorting will eventually be in all hubs.

Package cars cannot load and unload themselves.

Trailers cannot load and unload themselves.

Until robots are designed, and cheap enough, to replace the loader, unloader, preloader, etc, no jobs will be lost.

Robots will not be replacing us anytime in the not so near future.

The technology may be there, but it is cost prohibitive to even dream about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I can't believe they can't figure out a way to eliminate Misloads. Would have to think someone is working on it. Maybe some type of laser reader on the back of the car that reads the package no matter where the preloader holds it entering the car. Have to think thats hopefully coming down the pike soon. It's free money running off misloads but on a Friday after a long week it can be annoying

When I went to driving school they were talking about placing an inverted U-shaped barcode reader that would frame the opening behind each package car. The preloader would make sure that the barcode was facing out as he/she passed through the reader, which would be linked to that pkg car and would beep once if the package was for that car and would beep repeatedly if it was not.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
When I went to driving school they were talking about placing an inverted U-shaped barcode reader that would frame the opening behind each package car. The preloader would make sure that the barcode was facing out as he/she passed through the reader, which would be linked to that pkg car and would beep once if the package was for that car and would beep repeatedly if it was not.

My Preloader would still put it on the wrong shelf with the label facing the wrong direction.

bbsam

Staff member
I could see a company using driverless vehicles in the inner city where a truck goes directly to an office building, backs into a dock and a mail room employee or employees distribute from that point. That's the beginning, but just think how many routes that eliminates almost overnight. From there the technology moves to malls where a package handler shows up and delivers a few bulk stops and then moves to carting deliveries through the mall.

clean hairy

In icy weather, the Robot slips and falls, it will send a distress message to the Center?
"I've fallen and can't get up!"
The center will bring another robot out to complete the route of the damaged Robot?

Dr.Brownz

Bull:censored2:, UPS doesn't fix anything till its a cluster :censored2:ed nightmare (and even then they try to keep pusshing it)

Robots and self driving cars are a long way off. The public will never accept "Today a computer program made an error and killed 45 people on the freeway; in other news UPS is making record profits" Just won't happen, to much backlash from too many sectors of society.

Browndriver5

I read that pilots actually make more like 18k to 25k a year because there are so many people who want to fly planes that it's easy to just stiff them on the salary.

This group excludes regional, national and international airline pilots. Commercial pilots earned a mean annual wage of $76,050 a year as of May 2011. The median reported salary was $70,000 per year, and the median-earning 50 percent of commercial pilots earned between $50,850 and $92,340 a year.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
This group excludes regional, national and international airline pilots. Commercial pilots earned a mean annual wage of $76,050 a year as of May 2011. The median reported salary was $70,000 per year, and the median-earning 50 percent of commercial pilots earned between $50,850 and $92,340 a year.

Before signing the 8 year contract in 2006, UPS pilots averaged $175K per year.

They were around $190 per flying hour.

They got a 29% raise through the 2006-2014 contract.

The average salary is now around $225K. About $240 per flying hour.