Delivery Driver Jobs To Disappear by 2030

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Before signing the 8 year contract in 2006, UPS pilots averaged $175K per year.

They were around $190 per flying hour.

They got a 29% raise through the 2006-2014 contract.

The average salary is now around $225K. About $240 per flying hour.

I assure you the contract pilot flying the puddle jumper with our air does not come anywhere near those numbers.

Browndriver5

Before signing the 8 year contract in 2006, UPS pilots averaged $175K per year.

They were around $190 per flying hour.

They got a 29% raise through the 2006-2014 contract.

The average salary is now around $225K. About $240 per flying hour.

Yeah UPS is the highest paid in the industry. My friend just graduated from Middle Tenn. and he is a pilot giving flight lessons at 35k a year. A Delta Pilot only makes around 80 k a year

rickyb

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I assure you the contract pilot flying the puddle jumper with our air does not come anywhere near those numbers.

If he is a contractor, no he is not.

I was referring to the 2800 pilots who are employees of UPS and members of the IPA.

And to have an average salary of $225K, you know that there are some rookies making $150K and some seasoned vets making $275K to get the average to $225K.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Independent contractors and the entire concept will be the death of the average package car driver at UPS. Fedex has been using them, as has many trucking outfits.

Now, Amazon is beta testing such a service, using an app service similiar to UBER.

Paying private persons (cents per package) to deliver them to homes, or to "package pickup" locations will bleed the UPS system of packages eliminating small package driver jobs.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-considering-paying-people-deliver-174429408.html

Once AMAZON goes this route, look for other companies to follow suit.

TOS.

Browndriver5

Independent contractors and the entire concept will be the death of the average package car driver at UPS. Fedex has been using them, as has many trucking outfits.

Now, Amazon is beta testing such a service, using an app service similiar to UBER.

Paying private persons (cents per package) to deliver them to homes, or to "package pickup" locations will bleed the UPS system of packages eliminating small package driver jobs.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-considering-paying-people-deliver-174429408.html

TOS.

Because I trust my $1000 watch I ordered with a random person...

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
Have you been to Worldport?

Humans still unload the trailers.
Humans still load the trailers.
Humans still drive the tugs.
Humans still move the cans.
Humans still load the cans.
Humans still unload the cans.
Humans still drive the yard birds.
Humans still load the planes.
Humans still unload the planes.
Humans still fly the planes.
Humans still drive the semi's

The sorting process is automated. That is about it. And that automated sorting will eventually be in all hubs.

Package cars cannot load and unload themselves.

Trailers cannot load and unload themselves.

Until robots are designed, and cheap enough, to replace the loader, unloader, preloader, etc, no jobs will be lost.

Robots will not be replacing us anytime in the not so near future.

The technology may be there, but it is cost prohibitive to even dream about it.

I didn't say anything about drivers or pilots. I'm talking in the hub.
That's why I said it's easy to see that in the future. Not tomorrow

Your right, The trailers and trucks can't load themselves, yet. The pace at which technology in the robotics/ai/industrial automation field is evolving is amazing. The price is being driven down, slowly, but it is being driven down.

I'm not being chicken little, I know my job is safe for now. Im just saying, that as little as 20 years ago, two stinky truck drivers from either side of the country couldnt argue over inane details of their crummy job in almost real time. It's fascinating to think about honestly.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
I read that pilots actually make more like 18k to 25k a year because there are so many people who want to fly planes that it's easy to just stiff them on the salary.

This group excludes regional, national and international airline pilots. Commercial pilots earned a mean annual wage of $76,050 a year as of May 2011. The median reported salary was $70,000 per year, and the median-earning 50 percent of commercial pilots earned between $50,850 and $92,340 a year.

I know a 1st officer for Republic (the regional) just completed his first year of service salary of $22,700 on an E-145 jet.
UPS and FedEx used to be looked down upon by the legacy carrier pilots, now they are the most sought after jobs in aviation. Corporate pilots make a good living too. NetJets etc.

TUT

TOS.

So now 2030 seems a little conservative? lol

And yeah some pilots still make bank but there was a time they were all very well paid. Race to the bottom and some think we need to give companies more power and freedoms.

Browndriver5

So now 2030 seems a little conservative? lol

And yeah some pilots still make bank but there was a time they were all very well paid. Race to the bottom and some think we need to give companies more power and freedoms.

I always like your view points. What do you think will end up happening to package delivery

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I know a 1st officer for Republic (the regional) just completed his first year of service salary of $22,700 on an E-145 jet.
UPS and FedEx used to be looked down upon by the legacy carrier pilots, now they are the most sought after jobs in aviation. Corporate pilots make a good living too. NetJets etc.

My neighbor flies for Delta. Retired friend-16 pilot for the National Guard.

His first 4 years at Delta was under $50K.

He now makes around $125K in his 5th year.

He is trying to get the left chair on international flights. $150K-$175K.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
My neighbor flies for Delta. Retired friend-16 pilot for the National Guard.

His first 4 years at Delta was under $50K.

He now makes around $125K in his 5th year.

He is trying to get the left chair on international flights. $150K-$175K.
Commercial pilot making under 50k for 4 years???? Now 5th year makes 125. Your #'s are off bro
american-airlines-squarelogo.png

Airline Pilot
American Airlines (10 American AirlinesSalaries)
$134,304

$97k
$184k
delta-air-lines-squarelogo.png

Airline Pilot
Delta Air Lines (7 Delta Air Lines Salaries)
$130,225

$61k
$215k
united-airlines-squarelogo.png

Airline Pilot
United Airlines (3 United Airlines Salaries)
$133,470

$87k
$163k
northwest-airlines-squarelogo.png

Airline Pilot
Northwest Airlines (3 Northwest AirlinesSalaries)
$144,279

$110k
$170k
abx-air-squarelogo.png

Airline Pilot
ABX Air (2 ABX Air Salaries)
$152,066

$130k
$175k
american-airlines-squarelogo.png

Airline Pilot - Hourly
American Airlines (1 American Airlines Salary)
n/a

$110
$120

Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Salary

delta-air-lines-squarelogo.png

Airline Pilot - Monthly
Delta Air Lines (1 Delta Air Lines Salary)
n/a

$11k
$12k
Airline Pilot - Hourly
US Airways (1 US Airways Salary)
n/a

$119
$129
Airline Pilot - Monthly
n/a

$3k
$4k
Airline Pilot
n/a

$222k
$240k
Airline Pilot - Hourly
PSA Airlines (1 PSA Airlines Salary)
n/a

$11
$12
Airline Pilot
PSA Airlines (1 PSA Airlines Salary)
n/a

$71k
$76k
Airline Pilot - Hourly
ExpressJet Airlines (1 ExpressJet AirlinesSalary)
n/a

$41
$43
Airline Pilot
ExpressJet Airlines (1 ExpressJet AirlinesSalary)
n/a

$36k
$39k
Airline Pilot - Hourly
Alaska Airlines (1 Alaska Airlines Salary)
n/a

$53
$58
Airline Pilot
Alaska Airlines (1 Alaska Airlines Salary)
n/a

$153k
$165k
Airline Pilot

Last edited: