Denial of Signature: Better luck next time dummy.

Marne Vet

Since getting back on my trip I've been getting a lot of DFU's from the guy that covered for me during Peak. No biggie. I expected as much. It would've happened if I was on it as well, so it's not his fault. The people in the area are just scumbags.

Today I had a Denial of Signature DFU. I noticed the address and knew right away that the people that live there are dirtbags. They use bed sheets as curtains, leave trash all over their steps, and they're always arguing whenever I go there. Was not surprised that they were denying a signature. Probably thought they could get over on our "new guy".

I saved the stop for almost dead last. I had an Over 70 Call tag to hit after the tracer, and then I was finished. I parked on the corner, and walked around to the house. When I knocked a kid answered the door. I told him I needed to speak with Mrs. Brown. (Oh the irony. What can this Brown do for me?) He turned around and yelled "GRANDMA!" Now a few other kids came to the door to see who was there, and then their Grandma finally approached. She seemed pretty nice, and actually invited me in and out of the cold. I explained that I was there doing a follow-up on a package that was delivered in December, and that we obtained a signature when we delivered it. I showed her the signature, and she said "That's my daughter." I asked her "Are you [Name on DFU]?" and she said "yes". She tells me that she got the package, the items (points to them on the table), and that her daughter had signed for the package. I showed her where to sign off on the DFU, and just as I'm leaving her daughter walks up the steps and sees me. First thing out of her mouth is "I aint got my package yet! You owes me my money back!". I didn't even have to say a word. Grandma took over and said "What? We got the package. It's right there!" (points to it), and then says "Stop wasting this guys time. You're not getting your money back". Haha! Grandma saved the day. She busted her own daughter on trying to scam us. Some days I love seeing people stand-up for what's right. Tonight she made my day.

Marne Vet

That's funny as hell, would never deliver anything there again without getting a signature. That's just the way I roll.

It's a signature only stop, but it didn't stop her (the daughter) from trying to deny signing and getting her package. I always get an ID and write their license number in the remarks box. No way they can deny it's them.

Marne Vet

no sheet.... I never step inside someones residence either

For an elderly lady, I wouldn't make her stand in the cold with me. I didn't mind stepping inside her door to discuss the DFU with her. If she was in her 30's, or younger, I would've stayed at the top of her steps.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Sorry, but I actually do care whether or not they come back Positive or Negative. I don't like seeing people blatantly rip our company off.
I'd care more if management showed they care, however this isn't the case when you send 18yr old kids out in a golf cart, pay them 8.50, 2hrs training on a DIAD, and 80 stops. All in the name of saving money. Once again another example of stepping over a dime to pick up a penny.

bumped

It's a signature only stop, but it didn't stop her (the daughter) from trying to deny signing and getting her package. I always get an ID and write their license number in the remarks box. No way they can deny it's them.

I do the same thing, but put it in the consignee spot. There's not enough room in the remarks column.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Interesting story. I don't give a rat's ass if the DFU is positive or negative, I'm not Dick Tracy, I'm a UPS driver.
Sorry, but I actually do care whether or not they come back Positive or Negative. I don't like seeing people blatantly rip our company off.
I'd care more if management showed they care, however this isn't the case when you send 18yr old kids out in a golf cart, pay them 8.50, 2hrs training on a DIAD, and 80 stops. All in the name of saving money. Once again another example of stepping over a dime to pick up a penny.

I refuse to do other people's DFU's I will only do ones with my name on them. I have a very good memory about all my deliveries (but can't remember where I put my keys last night) and can get a very high positive DFU rate. Being from a family full of cops, it may have rubbed off on me how to interrogate and get the info you need.

I also no longer call them Driver Follow Ups. They are now referred to as Liar Follow Ups since that's what 90% of these people are. Liars!!!!

Marne Vet

I refuse to do other people's DFU's I will only do ones with my name on them. I have a very good memory about all my deliveries (but can't remember where I put my keys last night) and can get a very high positive DFU rate. Being from a family full of cops, it may have rubbed off on me how to interrogate and get the info you need.

I also no longer call them Driver Follow Ups. They are now referred to as Liar Follow Ups since that's what 90% of these people are. Liars!!!!

I don't mind doing DFU's from other drivers. It just makes it a little harder when I don't know whether or not they actually delivered it there, or could've mis-delivered it. I use the same approach I used when I was an MP, and have a very high success rate. Over the summer we had a girl stealing Galaxy phones at around $600 a pop. She had gotten three before the first DFU came in. The phone number on the tracers are always the same number for the phone they claim they don't have, so whenever I get someone to answer the door I'll have that numbered queued in my phone and ready to go. I hit send the second I confirm the person I'm talking to is the consignee, and most often than not they have their phone on them. Soon as it rings and they go to look at it that's when I say "Oh, is that the yellow iPhone 5C you didn't get? Mind if I see the serial number real fast?" We busted her for stealing, and also caught two more this summer using that same trick. Some times you have to be a little more clever than the thieves. They never expect you to call their number when they're right in front of you! haha

rod

Retired 22 years
On occasion I would tell them that the next step was that I had to notify law enforcement and to expect to be questioned by them. I had quite a few have a sudden change of heart and remember they had received their package. The last thing these scumbags wanted to see was John Law coming up their sidewalk.

Marne Vet

On occasion I would tell them that the next step was that I had to notify law enforcement and to expect to be questioned by them. I had quite a few have a sudden change of heart and remember they had received their package. The last thing these scumbags wanted to see was John Law coming up their sidewalk.

Some of our Venders are retired cops. We had one in particular pull out his badge a few Peaks ago when a lady was trying to pull a denial of signature. She suddenly remembered signing for all 4 packages as soon as she saw his badge. Miracle? lol

BrownArmy

On occasion I work in some high end towns, and even those people aren't immune from trying to scam Big Brown...

(pro-tip, remove the broken-down Amazon box from your recycling if you're claiming you didn't get that package...)

Indecisi0n

I don't mind doing DFU's from other drivers. It just makes it a little harder when I don't know whether or not they actually delivered it there, or could've mis-delivered it. I use the same approach I used when I was an MP, and have a very high success rate. Over the summer we had a girl stealing Galaxy phones at around $600 a pop. She had gotten three before the first DFU came in. The phone number on the tracers are always the same number for the phone they claim they don't have, so whenever I get someone to answer the door I'll have that numbered queued in my phone and ready to go. I hit send the second I confirm the person I'm talking to is the consignee, and most often than not they have their phone on them. Soon as it rings and they go to look at it that's when I say "Oh, is that the yellow iPhone 5C you didn't get? Mind if I see the serial number real fast?" We busted her for stealing, and also caught two more this summer using that same trick. Some times you have to be a little more clever than the thieves. They never expect you to call their number when they're right in front of you! haha
Your going way to far. Just have the office put a no DR for that address and move on.