Denied a single day

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by nocturnalbuck, Jul 12, 2012.

1. nocturnalbuck

nocturnalbuck Member

At our center we are getting our single vacation days denied even though no one else has requested one, they are saying denied due to lack of coverage. at our recent union meeting this was brought up and apparently they can get away with this. anyone ever heard of this?
    I am near the bottom of senority and this was my only hope of going on any mini vacations with my wife and kids. This is very frustrating and dissappointing. I rarely get upset but I got :censored2: when I was denied.
  2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Lack of coverage is not your problem it's theirs they should hire more people. Even if they say denied u can always call off.
  3. Thebrownstreak

Thebrownstreak Active Member

Call in sick thurs and friday. Make it a 4 day weekend.
  4. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

I would just call out. I did that when i gave them a month and half notice i needed a day off because of doctors appt. They said "OK" but when the time came i was told "sorry can't give it to you." Needless to say i never made it to work that day.
  5. over9five

over9five Senior Member Staff Member

I agree. If they're gonna deny you your days, make them pay for it.
  6. Somepeoplecallmethestig

Somepeoplecallmethestig Are you not amused?

At our center its very simple, if you really need the day off dont ask, just call in sick that day. If you ask for a day you will just get a no and sense they know you wanted the day off you will also get 20 extra stops to run off.
  7. upsman68

upsman68 Active Member

I would just call in or off whatever they call it. I used to write notes and I was sick and tired of them deny them. So I just call in if I need the day off
  8. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

If you call in and they harass you,FILE. I get so sick and tired of being hassled over taking time off I have EARNED.
  9. Leftinbuilding

Leftinbuilding Active Member

Are you talking an "option" day? By contract, I don't think you can take single "vacation" days. It is frustrating when you think you are helping by allowing them time to plan. I also would just call in.
  10. thessalonian13

thessalonian13 Active Member

You have 6 personal days... use them by calling in sick
  11. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

The number of personal and sick days and how you can use your vacations varies from district to district.

We get 4 personal and 5 sick days which we can use as either. We are not allowed to use any of our vacation weeks as individual days off.
  12. brownmonster

brownmonster Man of Great Wisdom

We have single vacation days, as agreed to by both parties in the last contract. The company agreed to train part timers to drive when we wanted a day off. Never happened. It's a struggle to get one off unless it's a Monday.
  13. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

I would defiantly grieve this. In my center we are allowed three single day coverage people off per day. Grieve it and get an interpretation. Most things that we have or take for granted that are in our contract we put there because some member grieved it.
  14. grgrcr88

grgrcr88 No It's not green grocer!

Contractually in the Central they do not have to grant any single vacation days. They don't even really need a reason. However the single vacation days are to be paid for the first 5 days your not at work that you were scheduled to work. In plain english, they have to pay you for the first 5 days you call in. Enjoy your days off!! You can have 3 attendance occurances in a 90 day period before you get a written warning. Multiple call in days consecutively are considered one occurance as long as they are for the same thing. After 3 days though you may need a doctors notice.
  15. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

And if you are paid for your call off your business agent if he is ten percent as good as my business agent will take the position that if you are paid for the day it is not an occurrence. If they pay you for a call off and code it as a call off you can grieve it and get an interpretation. This is how contract language starts. Be a trend setter
  16. 728ups

728ups offending people on the internet since 1995

Last year in my local Management gave warning letters over 'absenteeism' when hourlies called in using Option C days. As a result so many grievances were filed that the Panel has told Management they will throw out any discipline related to Absenteeism regarding Option C days,as these are a complete waste of time.
    Gotta Stand Firm!
  17. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

See we have a grievence procedure for a reason. People shouldn't be scared to use it it's what we have.
  18. Dragon

Dragon Package Center Manager

If you call in sick and I ask you if you are using a sick day and you say yes, I code you as such. If you do not use a sick day its a call in. If you tell me the next day you want to burn a sick day or days for the previous call in I do not change the code (you still called in) I just do a payroll adjustment. Why? Your attendence record reflects a call in?
  19. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

If you paid me and made it an occurrence I'd grieve it and take my chances.
  20. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

Be happy you are in North Carolina.