Denver 'LOSES' trailers

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
Supervisors? hell, they need drivers,get 100 drivers from new york michigan wisconsin illinois to come down and do 500 stops each
in a week.They are used to working in the snow and that would
clear up 50,000 stops.

no i dont think send 100 drivers blind on a route would clean it up, plus we would still need vehicles:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
no i dont think send 100 drivers blind on a route would clean it up, plus we would still need vehicles:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1:confused:1

Agreed. We'll get this stuff cleaned up. It'll just take a little time. Customers have been really great. I've been offered drinks, food, etc at almost every stop that I've waited for a sig.

aspenleaf

We have not run all of our trucks on my line. I asked why and was told we didn't have enough drivers (we had them last week but now we don't?). Preload is not running tomorrow but the drivers were told they might be driving. Today only 6 preloaders and 2 sups showed up and at that time we were still working tomorrow am. Then a few hours later were told the preload would not run tomorrow.

Happy New Year!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
We have not run all of our trucks on my line. I asked why and was told we didn't have enough drivers (we had them last week but now we don't?). Preload is not running tomorrow but the drivers were told they might be driving. Today only 6 preloaders and 2 sups showed up and at that time we were still working tomorrow am. Then a few hours later were told the preload would not run tomorrow.

Happy New Year!

I was just told helpers would be working tomorrow if they wanted the work but to call around 8 to make sure. If they still have 100+ trailers sitting, I'm surprised the Preload isn't running BUT drivers ARE driving. Must be trying to get everything off the cars before next week. The roads were horrendous when I got off last nite, so I'm not surprised so few showed up. Be kinda funny if they didn't call these folks that didn't show and made THEM work tomorrow lol.

I know you guy`s pain,it`s 52 here and I`m having a heck of a time getting the lawn mower started.

Nah, he's not a meanie. Chicago'll get its just deserts before the end of January, I think. Warm weather in Chicago at this time of year almost ALWAYS preceeds a huuuuuge snowfall. Seen it happen. CACH, remember the...New Years Blizzard of '99(?) or the late January snows of 2002? Its coming!!:lol:

aspenleaf

Well they changed thier minds and ran a sort around 9 I think. I was called last night while at a hockey game; I did not go in today. Another preloader called me and all she knew was 9 am. Didn't have any info on what we'd be doing. I told her to have the sup call me with details and he never did. The last thing I was told by a sup was to be in as early as possible on Monday/ Tuesday.

A

Anonymous Gearjammer

Read article in Denver Post, talks about Pkg. Car driver driving through neighborhoods not making any deliveries, but finally stops at WalMart to make delivery. If they are so backed up why do they have pkg. cars delivering to large volume businesses, I believe here they would be wise to load them in trailers and have feeders deliver them. Can always borrow feeder drivers and rent tractors, here in 5549-MINMN, they let 16 off last week and were still asking several to go home early, max off during summer is 12. And now they're posting sign-up sheets for extra weeks off. I'd be more than happy to come out and help, be a nice change of scenery, been raining here last two days, not sure we'll get enough to ski on all winter.

LKLND3380

I agree. You would think the company would be importing supervisors from around the country (I think it's called "special assignment") to help out.

OOPS! that was back when the company cared about service.
Stupid me.

Supervisors??? They need hourlies.... If any imported supes show up I will file a grievence...

LKLND3380

UPS would use budget rental trucks...
If they are on PAS, the drivers should be able to deliver with just a simple street map...

I wouldn't be suprised if they leased a second building and split the city with a temp center

25yrvet

I've only worked a handful of Saturdays at ups, but had to work last Sat & today!! I have no idea what Denver will be sending us next week but we have our own problems with ground blizzards.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Well they changed thier minds and ran a sort around 9 I think. I was called last night while at a hockey game; I did not go in today. Another preloader called me and all she knew was 9 am. Didn't have any info on what we'd be doing. I told her to have the sup call me with details and he never did. The last thing I was told by a sup was to be in as early as possible on Monday/ Tuesday.

If I were in a sup's shoes, I'd say to be in as early as possible Tuesday, too. An on-road from the Downtown Center was helping us, taking about 20 stops at a time from us and told me he didn't know the number of backlogged packages. He'd heard numbers ranging from 400K-800K. Also said Management had no IDEA what they have. Our shutdown has probably truly temporarily lost trailers.

They didn't run much is my thinking. Aspen, that 9 am you heard was the time drivers departed Commerce City for area. I was on a package car helping deliver somewhere in Aurora and the driver said they made the least senior drivers work in his center. I don't know how/if other centers were run and dispatched.

UPS would use budget rental trucks...
If they are on PAS, the drivers should be able to deliver with just a simple street map...

I wouldn't be suprised if they leased a second building and split the city with a temp center

Split the city with a temp center??? Don't think that would work given the SIZE of this hub. Let me see...this building has 8 centers and I THINK I was told over 1,000 drivers. Colorado drivers or management posters know the actual number? Has leasing a building to use as a "temp center" happened anywhere before??? Yes, Commerce City is ON PAS. Budget rental trucks would be extremely frustrating, not to mention time consuming, to work out of. I worked off one as a helper and it took us two hours to complete 30 stops (mostly office buildings and apts). Despite that, Denver's streets are 100 block method of layout (similar to Chicago, I'm told). As such, the idea of importing drivers might be a little more difficult since these streets dead end and then resume somewhere else. Frustrating just trying to get around Denver when you're new here. Also, I was mistakenly told when I was hired helpers and inside employees had to have a Colorado ID. Turns out only drivers do. Your idea of importing drivers would probably be illegal in the eyes of the State of Colorado. I know, I know UPS doesn't show much regard for laws sometimes but I think this one they'd respect. -Rocky

aspenleaf

If I were in a sup's shoes, I'd say to be in as early as possible Tuesday, too. An on-road from the Downtown Center was helping us, taking about 20 stops at a time from us and told me he didn't know the number of backlogged packages. He'd heard numbers ranging from 400K-800K. Also said Management had no IDEA what they have. Our shutdown has probably truly temporarily lost trailers.

They didn't run much is my thinking. Aspen, that 9 am you heard was the time drivers departed Commerce City for area. I was on a package car helping deliver somewhere in Aurora and the driver said they made the least senior drivers work in his center. I don't know how/if other centers were run and dispatched.

Split the city with a temp center??? Don't think that would work given the SIZE of this hub. Let me see...this building has 8 centers and I THINK I was told over 1,000 drivers. Colorado drivers or management posters know the actual number? Has leasing a building to use as a "temp center" happened anywhere before??? Yes, Commerce City is ON PAS. Budget rental trucks would be extremely frustrating, not to mention time consuming, to work out of. I worked off one as a helper and it took us two hours to complete 30 stops (mostly office buildings and apts). Despite that, Denver's streets are 100 block method of layout (similar to Chicago, I'm told). As such, the idea of importing drivers might be a little more difficult since these streets dead end and then resume somewhere else. Frustrating just trying to get around Denver when you're new here. Also, I was mistakenly told when I was hired helpers and inside employees had to have a Colorado ID. Turns out only drivers do. Your idea of importing drivers would probably be illegal in the eyes of the State of Colorado. I know, I know UPS doesn't show much regard for laws sometimes but I think this one they'd respect. -Rocky

Well then I am glad I didn't go in at 9 since the trucks would have been loaded by then. I figure if a sup can't call me with details then they didn't really need me.

Tuesday will be fun!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Well then I am glad I didn't go in at 9 since the trucks would have been loaded by then. I figure if a sup can't call me with details then they didn't really need me.

Tuesday will be fun!

ALL this next week will be fun!!! 10+ hour days for anyone willing to work. I start school Wednesday, so there'll be none of that for me. I'll work but I won't work those 10+ hours.

act of god / unusual weather rules apply here. managment can work to clean up the service disruption.

I say let 'em work, Tie. I had a few sups and managers when I was an inside employee that actually produced better work than hourlies. Kinda funny to have a sorter scream, "D***IT!!! Turn that belt off!!" A sup hears it, scowls, walks over, tells the hourly to step to the left to "show you how this is done," and takes over, clearing the container in short order. Anyway, we need all the help we can get at this point!!! Its probably why they had on-roads delivering out of personal vehicles Saturday. Anyone heard an estimate on how long this backlog will take to clear? Rocky.

cino321

Supervisors? hell, they need drivers,get 100 drivers from new york michigan wisconsin illinois to come down and do 500 stops each
in a week.They are used to working in the snow and that would
clear up 50,000 stops.

Just a heads up... it literally hasnt been less than 40 degrees almost everyday here in NYC... so this year... we don't even know what snow looks like. I figured I'd just shove that in everyones face for a lil bit.

LKLND3380

act of god / unusual weather rules apply here. managment can work to clean up the service disruption.

What section of the contract???

Section 3. Supervisors Working

(A) The Employer agrees that the function of supervisors is the supervision of Employees and not the performance of the work of the employees they supervise. Accordingly, the Employer agrees that supervisors or other employees of the Employer who are not members of the bargaining unit shall not perform any bargaining unit work, except for the purpose of training, demonstration and safety, or as otherwise provided in the applicable Supplement, Supervisors will not perform bargaining unit employees’ work until after all reasonable efforts have been exhausted to have work covered. However, in cases of unexpected absentees or to prevent service failures, supervisors may perform such bargaining unit work as necessary to complete that day’s (or night’s) work schedule. The job steward will be provided with employee assignment information on request. The Employer shall make every reasonable effort to maintain a sufficient workforce to staff its operations with bargaining unit employees. The Employer also agrees that supervisors or other employees of the Employer who are not members of the bargaining unit shall not perform bargaining unit work in preparing the work areas before the start of the Employer’s hub, preload or reload operation, nor shall the Employer send any bargaining unit employee home and then have such employee’s work performed by a supervisor or other employees of the Employer who are not a member of the bargaining unit.

(B) When additional employees are necessary to complete the Employer’s operations on any shift or within any classification, the supervisor shall exhaust all established local practices to first use bargaining unit employees including where applicable, double shifting, early call-in, and overtime.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

(A) The Employer agrees that the function of supervisors is the supervision of Employees and not the performance of the work of the employees they supervise. Accordingly, the Employer agrees that supervisors or other employees of the Employer who are not members of the bargaining unit shall not perform any bargaining unit work, except for the purpose of training, demonstration and safety, or as otherwise provided in the applicable Supplement, Supervisors will not perform bargaining unit employees’ work until after all reasonable efforts have been exhausted to have work covered. However, in cases of unexpected absentees or to prevent service failures, supervisors may perform such bargaining unit work as necessary to complete that day’s (or night’s) work schedule. The job steward will be provided with employee assignment information on request. The Employer shall make every reasonable effort to maintain a sufficient workforce to staff its operations with bargaining unit employees. The Employer also agrees that supervisors or other employees of the Employer who are not members of the bargaining unit shall not perform bargaining unit work in preparing the work areas before the start of the Employer’s hub, preload or reload operation, nor shall the Employer send any bargaining unit employee home and then have such employee’s work performed by a supervisor or other employees of the Employer who are not a member of the bargaining unit.

(B) When additional employees are necessary to complete the Employer’s operations on any shift or within any classification, the supervisor shall exhaust all established local practices to first use bargaining unit employees including where applicable, double shifting, early call-in, and overtime.

They're doing all of that already, Lakeland--overtime, early call-ins, etc. Moving people cross-country would be a little extreme. I stand with Tie on this one, considering how badly we need the help. Every extra pair of hands helps.

tieguy

Banned

Its all there in your contract language. The contract does not say the sups cannot work, it says we exhaust all other means first. No BA with any common sense would take a supervisor working case resulting from a blizzard to the panel.

SmithBarney

"However, in cases of unexpected absentees or to prevent service failures, supervisors may perform such bargaining unit work as necessary"

Anything can be considered a service failure, so they would probably use that language, if needed...