Desert Mountain District voted Best Overall U.S. Operation CONGRATULATIONS!

UPS Lifer

I just read today that one of the Horizon Award Winners announced at the UPS Management Conference was Desert Mountain District.

Each award winner achieved the strongest results for specific targets and found innovative ways to tackle business challenges. Following are the winners:

Operations Improvement & Project Management: Air District/Worldport Expansion Team
Value-Added Solutions: Canada District
Sustainability Leadership: Corporate Sustainability Committee
Best Overall U.S. Operation: Desert Mountain District
Operations Improvement: Global Enterprise Brokerage
Winning Team: Kansas District
Community Impact: Metro Philadelphia District
Best Overall International Operation: North Europe District
Enterprise Excellence: U.K. and Ireland District
Customer Focus: Wisconsin District

Congratulations Dilligaf! and all the other employees of Desert Mountain District!

What do you think it takes to be the Best Overall U.S. Operation?

Overpaid Union Thug

I just read today that one of the Horizon Award Winners announced at the UPS Management Conference was Desert Mountain District.

Each award winner achieved the strongest results for specific targets and found innovative ways to tackle business challenges. Following are the winners:

Operations Improvement & Project Management: Air District/Worldport Expansion Team

Congratulations Dilligaf! and all the other employees of Desert Mountain District!

Its probably safe to say that the management teams at each one of the locations are probably 'The Best Numbers Fudgers" in those categories.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Its probably safe to say that the management teams at each one of the locations are probably 'The Best Numbers Fudgers" in those categories.

+1.

My operating center is always at 100% participation for the annual United Way fundraisers, which I thought was strange because I haven't given a dime to the United Way since I was hired 10 years ago. Turns out the center manager makes a $1 donation in each drivers name out of petty cash to get their 100% participation plaque.

I like the winner of Customer Focus (Wisconsin District). I've been to Wisconsin. It's not hard to focus on customers, there's so few people that live there. :wink2:

tieguy

Banned
+1.

My operating center is always at 100% participation for the annual United Way fundraisers, which I thought was strange because I haven't given a dime to the United Way since I was hired 10 years ago. Turns out the center manager makes a $1 donation in each drivers name out of petty cash to get their 100% participation plaque.

I like the winner of Customer Focus (Wisconsin District). I've been to Wisconsin. It's not hard to focus on customers, there's so few people that live there. :wink2:

here is the problem. you're putting your center manager down for manipulating the participation rate. Your center manager is being dishonest. however saying he is doing so out of the petty cash fund is also dishonest. there is no petty cash fund. the guy is manipulating the number by putting his own money in the fund for you. At least get that part right so we can focus on the center manager's dishonesty without being distracted by yours.

PE Pro

Many years ago my District won the coveted Chairman's Award. I happened to share this with my Associate Pastor who left UPS after 10 years in management. His response to this was, "you know all that means, don't you? It simply means that your district are the best cheaters".:surprised:

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
here is the problem. you're putting your center manager down for manipulating the participation rate. Your center manager is being dishonest. however saying he is doing so out of the petty cash fund is also dishonest. there is no petty cash fund. the guy is manipulating the number by putting his own money in the fund for you. At least get that part right so we can focus on the center manager's dishonesty without being distracted by yours.

Not sure how things work where you are, but there is definitely a slush fund of some kind in my center. How it's funded, I don't know nor do I care because frankly it's not my business. I've worked under 5 center manager's in my time, and to believe that all five of these people have personally funded things on a consistent basis like $250 for the center softball team, $100 for a monthly safety breakfast or paid upwards of $60 from their own pocket just to get a silly plaque is just ludicrous.

pretzel_man

Not sure how things work where you are, but there is definitely a slush fund of some kind in my center. How it's funded, I don't know nor do I care because frankly it's not my business. I've worked under 5 center manager's in my time, and to believe that all five of these people have personally funded things on a consistent basis like $250 for the center softball team, $100 for a monthly safety breakfast or paid upwards of $60 from their own pocket just to get a silly plaque is just ludicrous.

I have never seen a petty cash fund either.

Most operations have a way to charge misc. items they need, but no petty cash fund. I would think it not possible to use a UPS charge account to pay for United Way donations.

P-Man

upsgrunt

Isn't the profit from the vending machines an "unofficial" petty cash fund? That's what has always been implied to me.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Isn't the profit from the vending machines an "unofficial" petty cash fund? That's what has always been implied to me.

I too have heard that, but not from anyone in management, so I've always taken it with a grain of salt. In a building as large as ours with God knows how many part-timers, aside from somewhere between 225-275 drivers and the management, profits from those machines, even when divided between 3 operating centers, can add up pretty quick.

tieguy

Banned
I too have heard that, but not from anyone in management, so I've always taken it with a grain of salt. In a building as large as ours with God knows how many part-timers, aside from somewhere between 225-275 drivers and the management, profits from those machines, even when divided between 3 operating centers, can add up pretty quick.

I've never seen a ups operation that owns the vending machines in that building. I've been to quite a few buildings all over the country and they were always provided and controlled by a vending company.

ups managers have an expense account to be reimbursed for their out of pocket expenses. As such they would have to give specific detail as to the business reason for the expense. putting in a united way donation for you because you're too cheap to do so is not considered a business expense and would not fly. you have what 50 drivers in your center? the guy is putting the money in for you. Either to make him look good or as a little FU back at you.

Basically a thanks for the donation hope you can afford a whole dollar next year shot.

rod

Retired 22 years
Up until about 5 years before I retired we always had a petty cash fund. It was called take the money out of the receiving counter til- put you recieit in the drawer and mark it "petty cash purchase" and go about your business. We used it for everything from buying flashlights to purchasing gas if you didn't have enough to get back to the building. I don't recall it ever being abused. The last few years they did restrict your petty cash purchase to $5.00. Our vending machine (only had a pop machine) was always set at what ever it cost UPS to fill it up. At the time every other machine was charging 50 cents ours was 35. I doubt there was much if any profit.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I've never seen a ups operation that owns the vending machines in that building. I've been to quite a few buildings all over the country and they were always provided and controlled by a vending company.

ups managers have an expense account to be reimbursed for their out of pocket expenses. As such they would have to give specific detail as to the business reason for the expense. putting in a united way donation for you because you're too cheap to do so is not considered a business expense and would not fly. you have what 50 drivers in your center? the guy is putting the money in for you. Either to make him look good or as a little FU back at you.

Basically a thanks for the donation hope you can afford a whole dollar next year shot.

I don't like giving my money away to organizations with shady accounting practices. If the big-wigs at UPS sleep better at night knowing it makes the company look better to be associated with a well-known not-for-profit, then more power to them. I don't dispute UW's good intent, I just choose to donate to local charities directly, thus eliminating the need for UW's sleazy 'administrative costs'.

Can someone here do me a favor? When tieguy comes down from his holier-than-thou-art pulpit, just let him know he's won the race to first on my ignore list. I can't be bothered with people of his ilk. :sick:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Thanks Lifer. I will have to see if this is mentioned monday at our PCM. If not I guess I will have to mention it. :happy-very: