Designated Walk Path

pretzel_man

pretzel_man,

Can you please cite the page number for me?

I thank you for your contribution to this discussion thread.

Sincerely,
I

Its in multiple places. In the EDD version try pages:

15, 17, 24, 25 , 26, 41, 42, 43, 55

There are others. I just did a search for walk.

I didn't check the page numbers for the non-EDD version.

P-Man

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
When I was a Package car driver, I was told the shortest path between two points, AS LONG AS IT"S GRASS. If there was a flowerbed or other obstruction, I was to alter my walk path to the shortest distance around the obstruction. And we were taught to walk around the FRONT of the package car, that way if it was hit while parked, we wouldn't get in the middle of two hard things.

JonFrum

If a walk way is in line with my direct path I will take it if not across the grass I go with SUP watching or not. I have never been told to stay on a walking path. I have been told and taught to scan my work area and make adjustments as conditions change.
Why do you suppose property owners pay extra money to build walks, and even call them "walks," when it would be cheaper just to have all grass?

If the property owner was sitting on his front porch watching you approach, would you cut across his lawn?

If the grass was wet and you fell and went out on Workers' Compensation, would UPS argue that you would have had better footing, and not fallen, if you walked on the walk?

If you scanned ahead of you as you cut across the grass, and twisted your ankle because the grass concealed the uneven contours of the ground, would UPS praise you for your sense of urgency?

If you left deep footprints in the lawn because you didn't realize it was so damp, and then left dirty footprints on the front steps, would the property owner see the humor in it?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jon, as usual you have over complicated what is a very simple situation. Common sense dictates how you approach the delivery point with the optimal being a straight line from the PC to the front door. If that is not possible than you stay on the designated walk path.

I have a lady on my route who has expressed in no uncertain terms that all delivery people are to stay off of her grass. She even has a sign on her front door which says that.

Most of us here are homeowners who maintain our own yards so I would think that we would keep this in mind in regard to walking on someone's lawn.

JonFrum

Jon, as usual you have over complicated what is a very simple situation. Common sense dictates how you approach the delivery point with the optimal being a straight line from the PC to the front door. If that is not possible than you stay on the designated walk path.

I have a lady on my route who has expressed in no uncertain terms that all delivery people are to stay off of her grass. She even has a sign on her front door which says that.

Most of us here are homeowners who maintain our own yards so I would think that we would keep this in mind in regard to walking on someone's lawn.
It is simple. The property owner provides you with a walk for you to walk on, (hence the name.)

You are a guest and have no right to walk on the grass unless the property owner has specifically given you authorization. The default presumption is "Keep Off The Grass." Period.

It's like opening a front door and tucking a Driver Release package inside. You are a guest on the property. You have no right to open someone's door unless they have specifically given you permission.

UPS will take advantage of your corner cutting, but if something goes wrong, expect them to cite the Law and leave you hanging out on a limb.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It is simple. The property owner provides you with a walk for you to walk on, (hence the name.)

You are a guest and have no right to walk on the grass unless the property owner has specifically given you authorization. The default presumption is "Keep Off The Grass." Period.

It's like opening a front door and tucking a Driver Release package inside. You are a guest on the property. You have no right to open someone's door unless they have specifically given you permission.

UPS will take advantage of your corner cutting, but if something goes wrong, expect them to cite the Law and leave you hanging out on a limb.

If you are talking about putting a package between the storm door and entry door there is nothing wrong with doing that. Opening the entry door and putting the package inside is only done with express permission from the homeowner.

I was trained to use the most direct path Point A to Point B. I was also blessed with common sense so I know which lawns I can walk across and those which I cannot.

If memory serves you are not a driver, are you? Easy to quote verbage when you don't live it every day.

JonFrum

If you are talking about putting a package between the storm door and entry door there is nothing wrong with doing that. Opening the entry door and putting the package inside is only done with express permission from the homeowner.

I was trained to use the most direct path Point A to Point B. I was also blessed with common sense so I know which lawns I can walk across and those which I cannot.

If memory serves you are not a driver, are you? Easy to quote verbage when you don't live it every day.
There is something wrong with opening a property owner's storm door without permission and putting a package inside it. The Law doesn't care how you were trained, nor does it make exceptions for UPS or your sense of urgency. Though if a matter ever landed in Court, the fact that you were a well-intentioned UPS delivery man just trying to complete the delivery would be taken into account.

Our building has had customer complaints about storm doors being "sprung," and UPS had to buy the customers a new door. I believe UPS policy is to not open storm doors. But I'm not a driver and am not worthy. Maybe a real driver could comment.
- - - -
"I was also blessed with common sense so I know which lawns I can walk across and those which I cannot." Now that's a classic!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is something wrong with opening a property owner's storm door without permission and putting a package inside it. The Law doesn't care how you were trained, nor does it make exceptions for UPS or your sense of urgency. Though if a matter ever landed in Court, the fact that you were a well-intentioned UPS delivery man just trying to complete the delivery would be taken into account.

Our building has had customer complaints about storm doors being "sprung," and UPS had to buy the customers a new door. I believe UPS policy is to not open storm doors. But I'm not a driver and am not worthy. Maybe a real driver could comment.
- - - -
"I was also blessed with common sense so I know which lawns I can walk across and those which I cannot." Now that's a classic!!!

Jon, you are quite knowledgeable about the contract and pensions but delivery is one area that you clearly do not have a clue beyond what you have read. This is my 2nd bid cycle on this area and I know it cold and, yes, I do know which lawns I can walk across and which I cannot. Walking directly from the PC to the front door is optimal and if that is best accomplished by walking across the lawn without damaging it then that is what I do. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Driver release methods state that all deliveries must be out of sight and out of weather. Putting a smaller package (LL Bean, JCP) between the storm and entry door is perfect provided the storm door is securely closed after delivery is made. We are encouraged to use this method in my center but are reminded to make sure the door is closed. If the door cannot be securely closed the package is to be left elsewhere. Why is this so hard for you to understand?

As you do in most, if not all, of your posts, you have over complicated this issue.

Tell you what--why don't you come up here this Peak and be my helper? You will quickly find out if I am a "real driver" or not.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I just checked the 340 methods and what you say is almost word for word.

P-Man

Its in multiple places. In the EDD version try pages:

15, 17, 24, 25 , 26, 41, 42, 43, 55

There are others. I just did a search for walk.

I didn't check the page numbers for the non-EDD version.

P-Man

pretzel_man,
I have completely reviewed the methods and I see no provision for walking on a customer's lawn.

I also don't see any straight line language. It clearly states that the shortest walk path is to be selected and known.

Anyone with common sense will agree that cutting across a lawn is not considered the walk path to most doorways or driver release locations but it is the sidewalk or walkway that the customer has installed on their property.

If I have missed something in the methods please let me know and forgive me for this oversight.

Sincerely,
I

over9five

Staff member
pretzel_man,
I have completely reviewed the methods and I see no provision for walking on a customer's lawn.

I also don't see any straight line language. It clearly states that the shortest walk path is to be selected and known.

Anyone with common sense will agree that cutting across a lawn is not considered the walk path to most doorways or driver release locations but it is the sidewalk or walkway that the customer has installed on their property.

If I have missed something in the methods please let me know and forgive me for this oversight.

Sincerely,
I

+1

pretzel_man

pretzel_man,

Sincerely,
I

If you would recall, I was responding to this statement:

"I have never been told to stay on a walking path. I have been told and taught to scan my work area and make adjustments as conditions change."

I said that the 340 methods support that statement.

I guess you interpret the statement walk path to be a paved path only? My driver walks across my grass. I don't care. I always viewed this as a case by case situation.

Are you saying NEVER walk on grass? I am not condoning ALWAYS walk on grass. A walk path to me is the best path for the situation.

Now, you show me in the 340 methods where it defines "the designated walk path methods". Those are your words. Show me where if a supervisor said to walk across the grass (as in the case of going to my house) that he / she would be violating methods.

P-Man

P-Man

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If the package is an envelope or small enough to completely shut the storm door, then nothing is wrong with that. "Out of sight and out of weather". The problem arises if the package is too large to completely shut the storm door. A strong gust of wind or something could blow the storm or screen door open hard enough to damage it.

JonFrum

If the package is an envelope or small enough to completely shut the storm door, then nothing is wrong with that. "Out of sight and out of weather". The problem arises if the package is too large to completely shut the storm door. A strong gust of wind or something could blow the storm or screen door open hard enough to damage it.
We've had customer complaints about doors being "sprung" because the driver forced a door shut with a package inside. And we've had doors not forced shut, so they were damaged by the blowing wind.

But we have also had a driver accused of damaging a door that he didn't damage. It turns out, after much grief, other people were working at the home and they damaged the door. The homeowner blamed UPS though.

If you have a company policy of opening doors, walking across lawns, etc, you open yourself to liability if something goes wrong, or if a homeowner is a golddigger and thinks UPS has deep pockets.

We had a driver cross a lawn in winter and put his foot through the swimming pool cover that was hidden under the snow. These things happen.

It's best to treat other people's property as if it's other people's property. That's also the law.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Feel free to walk on my lawn anytime to bring me something.

Someone made a comment about now walking through flowers. That is common courtesy and a good comment. As I mentioned earlier, the PC drivers know their customers and know when to stay off the grass and when it's ok.
BTW, my grass is more weeds than grass. I used to have a meticulously manicured lawn, but I realized the hard work and $$ only lasted one season. I'm letting nature take over now.:peaceful:

Toshiro Hitsugaya

Why do you suppose property owners pay extra money to build walks, and even call them "walks," when it would be cheaper just to have all grass?

So should all drivers drive on the driveways and park on the parkways? Property owners spend a lot of money on driveways as well. Then the driver in the other post should not get in troubkle for backing up and scrapping the drive way, cause it is a drive way and was meant to drive on. :funny: :peaceful: