Designated Walk Path

JonFrum

Our Driver's Helpers have to fill out safe behavior forms on their own behavior, and our drivers have to fill out identical safety forms on their observations of their helpers.

One item on the official ups form is . . .
"Expectation: Use designated walk paths (avoids shortcuts, cutting across lawns, landscaping, etc.)"

The driver and the helper must check either "Safe" or "At Risk" on their respective evaluation form.

The form also advises . . .
"Scan Walk Path: Keep your eyes ahead of your work and be aware of potential hazards in your walkpath. Stay on designated walking surfaces."

Note that these observations are done on route, so the "Designated Walk Path" does not just refer to UPS facilities.

UPSGUY72

Our Driver's Helpers have to fill out safe behavior forms on their own behavior, and our drivers have to fill out identical safety forms on their observations of their helpers.

One item on the official ups form is . . .
"Expectation: Use designated walk paths (avoids shortcuts, cutting across lawns, landscaping, etc.)"

The driver and the helper must check either "Safe" or "At Risk" on their respective evaluation form.

The form also advises . . .
"Scan Walk Path: Keep your eyes ahead of your work and be aware of potential hazards in your walkpath. Stay on designated walking surfaces."

Note that these observations are done on route, so the "Designated Walk Path" does not just refer to UPS facilities.

You actually fill those out.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

The wastebasket in my truck is full of them, and they are scattered around the center like confetti after a tickertape parade. They are UPS's version of junk mail.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Considering about 7 helpers in our district got hurt, ranging from pulled hammy to getting hit by a car, We had to had to have the paperwork signed everyday.

outta hours

Hourly employees are not supposed to be observing and reporting anything about other hourly employees, period.That is management work. The same applies to training helpers on the DIAD, golf cart,rickshaw, safe work methods,how to run areas,etc. Everyone squawks about management doing our work, so lets not do theirs.

I would refer to article 6 in the master agreement about anything that "needed to be signed everyday." Simply not true.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hourly employees are not supposed to be observing and reporting anything about other hourly employees, period.That is management work. The same applies to training helpers on the DIAD, golf cart,rickshaw, safe work methods,how to run areas,etc. Everyone squawks about management doing our work, so lets not do theirs.

I would refer to article 6 in the master agreement about anything that "needed to be signed everyday." Simply not true.

They are self-evaluation checklists. We also had safety quizzes just about every day. This was due in large part to the helper injuries Heff alluded to.

Training helpers on the DIAD is supposed to be part of orientation but is usually a quick review at best. It takes about 5-10 minutes for an experienced driver to get a helper up to speed on the DIAD and this can be done while driving to the delivery area. I had my helper trained to the point where he was deleting work from his board that had been completed in mine and was designating stops with committed packages as residential or commercial. A helper who is that well versed on the DIAD is priceless. It also helped that he showed up every day with a Full Throttle in his hand--there were times when I had to tell him to sit and that we would drive to the next stop.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

All this may be technically true Outta but the goal here is to make sure another person does not have an accident and get hurt. I offer suggestions to people inside and outside UPS on lifting and driving to people all the time who do not have training like we have had. It's just the right thing to do.

soberups

So you would agree that no hourly should be involved with a safety committee?

We do not currently have an actual Safety Committee. What we currently have...is a Keter Audit Compliance/ Acronym and Word Game Regurgitation Committee.

I think it would be a great idea if hourly employees had the opportunity to be involved in a legitimate, bona fide Safety Committee. Someday perhaps such a committee will be formed at UPS, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen.

soberups

I'd fill them out. Why not? Easy money.

By participating in the process, you validate it. I prefer to focus the limited amount of time and energy that I have on things that actually matter, like working safely and making service on the packages.

browniehound

pretzel_man,
I have completely reviewed the methods and I see no provision for walking on a customer's lawn.

I also don't see any straight line language. It clearly states that the shortest walk path is to be selected and known.

Anyone with common sense will agree that cutting across a lawn is not considered the walk path to most doorways or driver release locations but it is the sidewalk or walkway that the customer has installed on their property.

If I have missed something in the methods please let me know and forgive me for this oversight.

Sincerely,
I
If the walk path is entirely iced over I will always use the lawn. Common sense would dictate the UPS would rather have a complaint than a broken ankle on its driver.

over9five

Staff member
By participating in the process, you validate it. I prefer to focus the limited amount of time and energy that I have on things that actually matter, like working safely and making service on the packages.

Until you put on the tie the boss decides what actually matters, not you. Work as directed, and take home the easy money.

soberups

Until you put on the tie the boss decides what actually matters, not you. Work as directed, and take home the easy money.

He might have the tie, but I'm the one out there in the real world doing the work and I'm the one who is ultimately responsible for my own safety and the safety of my helper.

UPSGUY72

If the walk path is entirely iced over I will always use the lawn. Common sense would dictate the UPS would rather have a complaint than a broken ankle on its driver.

+1

I always stay on the grass if there are icy or slippery condition. I also avoid walking up and down stairs that are covered in snow, I'll walk as close to the stairs as possible place the package on the porch and slide in toward the door.

That way I elimate to senarios where I could slip and fall.

browniehound

+1

I always stay on the grass if there are icy or slippery condition. I also avoid walking up and down stairs that are covered in snow, I'll walk as close to the stairs as possible place the package on the porch and slide in toward the door.

That way I elimate to senarios where I could slip and fall.

I'm with you UPSguy. I will never walk up icy steps and will leave the package at the bottom of the stairs if I the conditions justify me doing so
. I'll take customer complaints 10-fold over a broken hip or ankle everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The helper wears Brown just like me. I asked the boss if I was going to get MIP since I'm now doing observations. I had the helper sign the crap but never actually observed him or talked about safety. Just hand em in to meet the quota.