Detroit Bankrupt

Upsmule

Absolutely not! Obama doesn't know his own @ss from Treyvon Martin's. I wouldn't give him credit for whats wrong with America nor whats working. Your almost correct though....it is outsourcing but it's hardly "corporate America" that has sold us all out. It's CONGRESS that regulates capitalism to DEATH forcing SMART businessmen and women to go over seas, period. Kill the corrupt IRS for starters, and encourage companies to come back home as well as other nations to do business here without being taxed to death, it ain't rocket science people. Unless your blinded by a special interest agenda and refuse to see much less face reality.

U.S. Corporations being taxed to death? Really? Do you really know what the effective tax rate for American Corporations is after they USE ALL THE TAX LOOPHOLES THEY LOBBY FOR IN CONGRESS? Here you go.:wink2: :wink2:[h=1]U.S. Corporations Pay Average Effective Tax Rate of 12.6 Percent![/h]

U.S. companies face the highest official corporate tax rate in the world. But there's a big difference between the rates set out by law and the cash that's actually collected.

Large, profitable U.S. corporations paid an average effective federal tax rate of 12.6% in 2010, the Government Accountability Office said Monday.

The federal corporate tax rate stands at 35%, and jumps to 39.2% when state rates are taken into account. But thanks to things like tax credits, exemptions and, the actual tax burden of American companies is much lower.

In a report commissioned by Senators Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and Tom Coburn (R.-Okla.), the GAO looked at taxes paid by profitable U.S. corporations with at least $10 million in assets.

Even when foreign, state and local taxes were taken into account, the companies paid only 16.9% of their worldwide income in taxes in 2010.

Coburn said in a statement that the report "underscores the need for comprehensive tax reform."

"An individual's or corporation's tax rate shouldn't be dependent on their ability to hire a tax lobbyist," Coburn said. "It's especially wrong to ask families who are struggling to make ends meet to subsidize special breaks for corporations."

Republicans as well as President Obama have called for a lower statutory corporate rate along with the closing of loopholes. The prospects for such reform appear remote for now, given the fractious nature of the current Congress.

The GAO's calculation for effective corporate tax rates is lower than a number of previous estimates. That's in part because the office excluded unprofitable firms, which pay little or no taxes, from its analysis.

Including those firms' losses would reduce the total net income from which the average tax rate is calculated, and would not "accurately represent the tax rate on the profitable corporations that actually pay the tax," the GAO said.

The GAO used figures on taxes paid from actual IRS returns, which it noted were "on the whole, lower than the tax liabilities reported in the corporate financial statements."

U.S. corporate tax collection totaled 2.6% of GDP in 2011, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development. That was the eleventh lowest in a ranking of 27 wealthy nations.

The Senate's Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations has hauled several corporate executives to Capitol Hill over the past year for testimony on their tax practices.

A report released by the subcommittee last month charged that Apple (AAPL) used a complicated system of international subsidiaries and cost-shifting strategies to avoid paying taxes on some $74 billion in income from 2009 to 2012.

In September, the subcommittee heard from Microsoft (MSFT) and Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), whom Levin called "case studies of how U.S. multinational corporations... exploit the weaknesses in tax and accounting rules and lax enforcement."

A subcommittee report at the time alleged that Microsoft had saved nearly $7 billion off its U.S. tax bill since 2009 by using loopholes to shift profits offshore. H-P, the report said, avoided paying taxes through a series of loans that shifted billions of dollars between two offshore subsidiaries.

Again, who created these IRS tax code loopholes? Your complete biased rhetoric refuses to allow you to see this.

Upsmule

Even more evidence that the IRS should be abolished! No, you'd rather kill "corporate America" and wonder why there are no jobs.

wkmac

Even more evidence that the IRS should be abolished! No, you'd rather kill "corporate America" and wonder why there are no jobs.

If the IRS is so bad for Corp. America, with all the massive amounts of money Corp. America plows into political campaigns on both sides of the isle, why is it that Corp. America itself is not leading the charge to abolish the IRS?

Why is that?

Upsmule

If the IRS is so bad for Corp. America, with all the massive amounts of money Corp. America plows into political campaigns on both sides of the isle, why is it that Corp. America itself is not leading the charge to abolish the IRS?

Why is that?

Clearly, the IRS and our joke of a tax code is NOT so bad for corp America now is it?

​Why is that?

wkmac

I never said anything about the gov't running healthcare. As one who advocates anarchy (no rulers) how would I advocate a state run healthcare when I don't even advocate a state in the first place?

Upsmule

I never said anything about the gov't running healthcare. As one who advocates anarchy (no rulers) how would I advocate a state run healthcare when I don't even advocate a state in the first place?

If you aren't for abolishing the IRS, or at least abolishing what it currently is...than you most certainly do thats how.

Upsmule

Ugh.... this thread is about Detroit. And yet another shining example of the failures of liberal democrat failed policies. Detroit is hardly a place thats profitable for business, while it's clearly profitable for crime, murder, and the welfare state recipient.

Likewise....while half the country has it's hand held out....should it be any surprise that a Marxist is enjoying blaming the rest of the world for a second term of failed policies? Not to those of us that have been paying attention since the 70's.

wkmac

Ugh.... this thread is about Detroit. And yet another shining example of the failures of liberal democrat failed policies. Detroit is hardly a place thats profitable for business, while it's clearly profitable for crime, murder, and the welfare state recipient.

Likewise....while half the country has it's hand held out....should it be any surprise that a Marxist is enjoying blaming the rest of the world for a second term of failed policies? Not to those of us that have been paying attention since the 70's.

If you've been paying attention since the 70's, how did the Marxists running Detroit get past you? Not sure the Corp. folks running GM and even Ford will appreciate you labeling them as Marxists.

Upsmule

If you've been paying attention since the 70's, how did the Marxists running Detroit get past you? Not sure the Corp. folks running GM and even Ford will appreciate you labeling them as Marxists.

If they've broken any laws procecute them. And you seriously didn't purposefully lump Ford in with GM did you?

bbsam

Staff member
If they've broken any laws procecute them. And you seriously didn't purposefully lump Ford in with GM did you?

If Chrysler and Gm went down, Ford would follow. Same companies build parts for all three. ZF used to build transmissions for Ford, now they build for Chrysler. What happens when the parts manufacturers only build for 25% of what they used to? Could you imagine the explosion in parts prices and thus Ford vehicles? Parts makers would have to makeup the overhead somewhere.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not one person has mentioned the most important point, that in many cases taxpayers quit paying property taxes, which for decades cut very deep. What a mess.

Blaming unions is nonsense, as unions basically built the city.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
We do get our cars from mack, which is ford.

Lets face it people. They made a product too expensive, it breaks down too often and sucks down gas like me with beer. It was only a matter of time before they lost those jobs. I also give credit to those unions for the dowfall of the big three. And dont you believe it cant happen to us someday as well.

At its high tide, Detroit had the largest income rate in the nation. Now, you can buy property there for about an Xbox one.

Reminds me of these videos....

HASTILY MADE CLEVELAND TOURISM VIDEO - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

purplesky

Again, who created these IRS tax code loopholes? Your complete biased rhetoric refuses to allow you to see this.

This is a Republican(Tom Coburn (R.-Okla.) making this statement. "An individual's or corporation's tax rate shouldn't be dependent on their ability to hire a tax lobbyist," Coburn said. "It's especially wrong to ask families who are struggling to make ends meet to subsidize special breaks for corporations."

The fact is that American corporations DO NOT PAY CLOSE TO THE 35% corporate tax rate because of THE IRS TAX LOOPHOLES THAT THEY LOBBY FOR. I am giving you facts.

Republicans as well as President Obama have called for a lower statutory corporate rate along with the closing of loopholes. The prospects for such reform appear remote for now, given the fractious nature of the current Congress.

Obama and some Republicans want to lower the corporate tax BUT THE REAL KICKER IS THIS. AMERICAN CORPORATIONS HAVE SPENT BILLIONS LOBBYING FOR THESE CORPORATE TAX LOOPHOLES AND REALIZE THAT THEY WONT GET CLOSE TO A 12% EFFECTIVE CORPORATE TAX RATE IF OBAMA ELIMINATES ALL THE TAX LOOPHOLES AND LOWERS THE CORPORATE TAX RATE. WHICH IS WHAT YOU ARE BITCHING ABOUT.:wink2:

And to think Twitt Robme complained about the high corp. taxes while he himself was playing the tax loophole game that he himself lobbied for. Very sad!

Last edited:

purplesky

We do get our cars from mack, which is ford.

Lets face it people. They made a product too expensive, it breaks down too often and sucks down gas like me with beer. It was only a matter of time before they lost those jobs. I also give credit to those unions for the dowfall of the big three. And dont you believe it cant happen to us someday as well.

At its high tide, Detroit had the largest income rate in the nation. Now, you can buy property there for about an Xbox one.

Reminds me of these videos....

HASTILY MADE CLEVELAND TOURISM VIDEO - YouTube

Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt - YouTube

​The unions have been giving back billions in concessions for years. The movers and shakers were the ones who pulled the plug on America long ago. They killed our American standard of living.

Last edited:

purplesky

Clearly, the IRS and our joke of a tax code is NOT so bad for corp America now is it?

​Why is that?

Dude make up your mind. You just helped me make my point THAT CORP. AMERICA DOES NOT PAY HIGH TAXES BECAUSE THEY BOUGHT THE CORP. TAX CODE. SO THEIR EXCUSE OF OUTSOURCING AMERICA BECAUSE OF HIGH TAX RATES IS JUST CRAP!

ITS CORP. GREED(shareholder value) AND THEY HAVE KNOWINGLY HURT AMERICA!